HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being in California means going through the "single-shot" thing, but whatever. I'm currently doing the 10-day dance, but when I was handling the demo HK45 in the shop, and from reading I did later, I've come up with the following questions for the HK45:

1. The slide was - for me - dang stiff. Does it loosen up with use?

2. Based upon what I've read, I've decided that the light LEM mod is for me. Being mechanically minded, I understand it's relatively easy. I did find the on-line instructions but the pictures aren't very clear. Is it fairly straightforward?

3. I currently have an Elite and found that I don't care for the ambi safety, or rather, having it on the right side. The right-side decocker hits my hand when I'm trying to activate it with my thumb (on the left side of the pistol.) Will the HK45 have the same issue - forgot to check. Is there a left-side only safety available?

4. Which leads to the next question. I see a lot of people saying that they got rid of their safety. What's the reasoning behind that? Do they just keep the hammer down and that serves as their safety?

5. Which leads to yet another question... if the safety is eliminated, does that mean that the decocker function is also removed? Once I figured out how to use it, it seems like a very useful function to have.

6. Lastly, I understand that if I do the LEM mod, I lose my safety, UNLESS I install an HJNGHK2079 detent plate. Correct?

I don't mind modifying the pistol (actually look forward to it) but don't want to order the wrong stuff and waste money. And before I get reminded, I do realize that it's my responsibility to figure out which combination/"version" that I'm after; I thought I'd ask here to get ahead of the ball.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Grats on your HK45

1. To some degree, however the springs are designed to be somewhat stiff since you are shooting .45s
2. I did the conversion for my HK45c in bout 2 hours(mostly because I dont have a third hand growing out of me) but it wasnt too bad. I used the instructions on HKPRO though the scanned pictures were a tad dark
3. I believe your standard SSE for HK45 is V1 so the safety is on the left side of the frame for right handed shooters so you shouldnt encounter that issue, unless of course you specifically ordered the ambi version
4. To some the safety just gets in the way or they have no need of it once converting to LEM, havent really heard of anyone getting rid of the safety and keeping it DA/SA(dont even think thats possible)
5. Yes. No safety lever, no decocking function for the HK45. If you convert to LEM then it will either be in LEM mode with hammer half cocked or full DAO with hammer down
6. Its possible to install LEM while keeping the safety lever but not sure on what you will need, believe there is a thread on how to do that in the reference library thread

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
6. Its possible to install LEM while keeping the safety lever but not sure on what you will need, believe there is a thread on how to do that in the reference library thread
If you want to keep the safety, keep the detent plate, slide plate, slide compression spring, safety lever, and hammer axle.
This LEM thread (by Big Bore) shows you exactly how to do that.

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
Bookmarked! So the USP mods will be the same for my HK45?
Should be. And if you haven't bought the LEM kit yet, get the Universal one; it's cheaper than the HK45 specific kit, and you'll get an extra hammer spring. :wink:
If you buy the LEM kit from HKParts, it comes with an extra Light TRS in addition to the heavy TRS. If you buy from TopGunSupply, there's only one heavy TRS.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Cool, yes I already have the universal one from HKParts, along with a couple extra mags :)

Looks like it's going to take some reading to figure out which of the dozen configurations I want. Probably the best path forward is to "just shoot the dang thing" and see how I like it, though I already know the trigger pull is way-heavy.

Also, regarding my earlier comments about how stiff the slide is, the HK45 I checked in the store was much heavier than my Elite, which is also a 45. Just wondering what's with the big difference. Both are virtually new, so it's not a wear-in issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts