HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been though about 30 pages of threads and have learned a lot about HK and the P30. I currently own a 1911 Colt and have decided to sell it and buy an HK. I am not totally decided on the 9 or the 40, but my lean is 40. I plan on using the gun for time at the range, home defense and eventually cc. The part that I am unsure of, is the variant. I think I understand all the variants, but not sure if I will have a chance to fire all of them before I actually buy. From the threads I have read, it seems many new HK owners start off unhappy with v3, and not so much negativity about the v1. So my thoughts are to just go with the v1. I know it's all a "personal" choice thing, but would appreciate any comments, thoughts or advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Be sure what you want before purchasing as V1 & V3 are different animals. You may already know but the V3 has a spurred hammer where the V1 would not. Once you choose HK approved variant changes are not there between the LEM and DA/SA versions of the P30 however I think some are doing conversions from V3 to V1 but not the reverse because of a lack of the hole in the frame for the decocker. Also, if you are wanting a safety the P30S must be purchased as they say the frame sizes are different. A factory V1 is usually difficult to find but i saw somewhere a shipment was being converted from V2 to V1 scheduled to arrive in November. My P30s are V3 & my P2000sk guns are V1(light LEM). i do not know if i would want a P30 in LEM. I like DA/SA and have the S version on all but one. Wanted all S's but hard to get. I am starting to shoot the LEM better. They started as a V2 and had HK convert to V1. With V2 a lot of concentration was required to shoot well & it was probably helping my shooting skills but converted to V1 and I am glad i did as much easier to shoot well consistently. For me the LEM was quite odd at first as you have to get used to the spurless hammer coming back with little or no force and then the 8lb pull to release the hammer. As for 9 or 40, i like the 40 round but for me there is a very noticable difference in recoil between the two on my P30s. i can shoot hundreds of rounds with 9 and no problems but 100 rounds of 40 and my joints ache for a day or two. Hope this was helpful. Good luck choosing. It is a great pistol either way.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
It may be a hassle to do this and you'll probably lose a bit of change, but if you can't get ahold of the two variants and shoot them first, just buy the one you're leaning more towards. If it's a dud, sell it and go to your next likely choice. At the very least, though, you should decide on caliber choice before purchase. It shouldn't be too hard to find a 9mm and .40 P30 to demo/rent, first.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i ordered for a P30S specifically from our LGS about a couple of months ago. Finally it arrived and it was not an S but a V3 without the safety lever. I was frustrated by the fact that I had to wait for 2 months and get the wrong one. On the other hand, it has grown on me for the past 2 weeks and it seems to me that the slim factor without the safety lever is also equally great as it minimizes the bulk when in CCW. A first purchase on a DA/SA pistol does not necessarily mean that it will result to being unhappy about it. I think the SA on the P30 is great (but if you are looking for a competition gun with super light trigger and super short reset.. this is not the gun for it in my opinion), DA is not bad either... I think you just have to train with it as this the DA pull is the safety for an AD. Its all about training and being familiar with your gun.

I also shoot a USPC 45 which I converted to LEM (out of curiousness) and also shoots great but I kept the safety lever on to avoid an AD as our laws require handguns to be concealed in a bag. Reaching for your gun in a bag with a LEM trigger (ideally chamber loaded) would be risky for me, hence the safety lever.

I have never tried the 9mm on the P30 but I do like the P2000 9mm that I have. The 40 cal has a more pronounced recoil vs that of the 9mm or the 45cal, but I think the sights (stock) and design on the slide (tapering to the top) just makes it easier to acquire your target. Either what variant, or caliber you get... overall the HKs are great pistols... Now I only own all HKs... 2 p7s, P30, P2000, USPC 45.

Good luck! and hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Shoot them if you can, dry fire them at the very least.
The LEM gives a consistent trigger pull every time which I love.
(Unless you need a double strike on a hard primer).
Also the HK proprietary recoil reduction works great.
My P30 40 kicks like a 9mm.
So for SD I'd strongly recommend going 40.

Good Luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I have hand a chance to dry fire both in v1 at the local Cabels. I liked the feel of both, but it was only one pull on both guns I didn't think it would be cool standing there and dry firing multi times when I was only window shopping. A guy on another forum offered to let shoot his gun, so that leaves only 3 of the options left to find to shoot. In the end, I will take my time In choosing. I don't want to end up with something I am not happy with just because I was impulsive.

I did have another question for those with any v1. If you were to prepare the weapon in a ready state for carry, what position would the hammer be in? I have seen comments about it being in a "safe" position, but understand it doesn't have a manual safety.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I have hand a chance to dry fire both in v1 at the local Cabels. I liked the feel of both, but it was only one pull on both guns I didn't think it would be cool standing there and dry firing multi times when I was only window shopping. A guy on another forum offered to let shoot his gun, so that leaves only 3 of the options left to find to shoot. In the end, I will take my time In choosing. I don't want to end up with something I am not happy with just because I was impulsive.

I did have another question for those with any v1. If you were to prepare the weapon in a ready state for carry, what position would the hammer be in? I have seen comments about it being in a "safe" position, but understand it doesn't have a manual safety.
You need to be very clear about what specific model you're talking about.
It looks like those kooky Germans may not have been concistant with the Variant designations across models.

I though you were considering a P30?
P30 V1 is a LEM light.
P30 V2 is a LEM heavy and appears to be the most common LEM.
Mine is a P30 V2 LEM, with no external safety. And the second hammer is ALWAYS DOWN.
P30 V3 is the traditional DA/SA.
there are more

I think with USP guns, V1 means DA/SA.

Particularly if you buy online.
Be very sure what the variant really means for that model.
Also the S in P30S, vs P30, designates the external safety.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Barth. I did not realize the variants vary by model. It is the P30 I am looking at.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you don't mind tinkering, or sending you gun back to HK for a parts change then the TLG (V1.5) LEM is the best and what I'm running on both my P30 and HK45. It's basically a V2 with a lighter trigger return spring so it's a very light pull to the break and a good 5.5-6 lbs to pull the shot.
You can make this from either a V1 or V2 LEM, but not a V3 (DA/SA) P30.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I also read all of the variants with a plan to buy a ccw
....I ended up 5 pistols:) its a good thing;). I guess one will never be enough for Hk's

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
If you don't mind tinkering, or sending you gun back to HK for a parts change then the TLG (V1.5) LEM is the best and what I'm running on both my P30 and HK45. It's basically a V2 with a lighter trigger return spring so it's a very light pull to the break and a good 5.5-6 lbs to pull the shot.
You can make this from either a V1 or V2 LEM, but not a V3 (DA/SA) P30.
There appears to be a lot of misinformation on the springs for the various P3 LEM Variants.
My understanding is that the TGS or Todd Green Special doesn't use the lighter TRS or trigger return spring.
That would be the standard V1 Variant. P30 LEM seems to be shipped to the US mostly V2.
Although I've heard of a small number shipped as V1 and marked V2.
You can get all three springs from HKparts.
There's also detailed instructions in a sticky in HK REFERENCE LIBRARY on how to do a V2 to V1 conversion,
P2000/SK/USPC LEM Trigger Job Part 1, that applies to the P30 as well.

I've supplied my gunsmith with the instructions and FPBS/TRS springs.
My P30 V2 LEM should be a V1 LEM light in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I went with 9 for my p30 and couldnt be happier. Cheaper to shoot, more mag capacity, ammo availability, ammo price all go to 9. Either way you'll be happy. Dont expect either trigger to be like your colt though

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The more I read, the more convinced I am that LEM is the way to go.

They are good looking guns.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went with 9 for my p30 and couldnt be happier. Cheaper to shoot, more mag capacity, ammo availability, ammo price all go to 9. Either way you'll be happy. Dont expect either trigger to be like your colt though
I agree cost wise the 9 would be a good choice. I want to become very proficient before I start carrying and the 9 would make it more economical. And 15 vs 10 in the mag is a big difference.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I think the 40 is 13 rounds. Which is barely a capacity advantage but it is still an advantage

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Congrats on deciding to join the HK ranks!! I love my USPc and couldn't be happier. I also have a Colt 1911 and neither of my handguns w/ be going anywhere ever, except to the range! I can't make up my mind now on what my next one will be...either USP, HK45, or P30L.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts