HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, longtime lurker making the jump into boarding.
I'm trying to get ahold of a Roller pistol, and I can foresee a few routes to do it. It is my hope that you folks can save me some money/time.
One of the big issues is that I'm a southpaw, and while the SEF safety doesn't bother me, the palmshelf is a killer.

1. MKE AT94k
priced 1400-1500
add handguard (nbd)
Requires Navy trigger group, selector, pack (750? Gunsmithing?)
Generally rated as great guns

2.Coharie/Bellator CA-89k
priced 1000-1100
Includes navy group! (requires selector)
Needs paddlemag release (200? Gunsmithing.)
Needs fluted barrel (300? Could this be done while paddle is installed?)
Needs other minor repairs (<100 parts, no gunsmithing?)
Often rated as good guns

3.Welded flat receiver gun.
priced ??? seemingly 3500 or so.
Few parts kits for SP89s, often with SEF lowers (which for my purposes is a waste of money)
Well rated, Best welds, ready when assembled (if I can find parts)

If someone wants to correct my figures, or suggest something I haven't thought of, that'd probably be helpful.
I'm specifically interested in the difficulty of installing a navy TG on a MKE, and where to get a barrel replaced on a baileygun.
Also, suggestions on where to get any of this stuff (more) cheaply are always helpful!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Get the MKE gun and buy a Navy style SEF housing for $60, clip and pin it yourself and put the factory guts into it. With the MKE guns shelf the way it is you maynot even have to cut on the housing and the factory semi MKE guts will drop into it. If you do find it needs fitting and you take your time with a dremel and files will take about 30min.

Navy style lower: Cheaper than Dirt p/n MGR-279

·
Registered
536 Posts
Don't forget DJ's options he will be releasing. I'm sure all your needs would be meet. Or, but a painted barreled receiver, drop in a $449 RCM bolt group, grip of your choice from Robert and hit the range...

Options, options

·
Registered
53 Posts
You cant go wrong with either option, my MKE is my intro to roller guns and has taught me much. But, for the interst of saving money and not purchasing parts you don't want I'd go with DJF's painted upper and buy what you want in it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the insights, everyone.

After duly considering my options... I've decided to get in on DJF's bandwagon. Even if all doesn't go according to plan, it's the first clone I've seen built
from a shooter's perspective, leftys included. Now, the waiting begins...

·
Banned
599 Posts
you do not need a fluted barrel for 9mm ..I would go with a welded flat receiver gun just for the factor that you can piece the parts together yourself and spend on parts what you see fit for a lot less then 3500 there are quite a few builders on this board with the proper paperwork that love what they do.

·
Banned
599 Posts
the cost of parts is set by market demand and there is a vast amount of usa made parts available of verry good quality and iam happy to see that the builders with low morals and standards are stepping backward, and people of character are stepping to the front, you really cant go wrong today

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regarding fluted barrels, it's one of the idiosyncrasies of the design that's iconic- one doesn't become a HK fan by disliking over-engineering.

I too am appreciative of the higher quality builds these days. I might not get all the fit and finish of a true SP89, but it looks like I'll get a far more shootable gun.

·
Banned
599 Posts
u right in a few week i hope that me an my girlfriend can sign the papers on a new house out in the country here but its was a shorsale on 2.8 acres so if not to much is in crap in the housse i hope ill be able to move over shop i want to build another sp89when weather is nice. i build one one the cheap, a little over $600 it alot of fitting with mag was needed and expected but it runs awsome you can pick up sp89 barrels on gunbroker for bout 100 bucks by times

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
u right in a few week i hope that me an my girlfriend can sign the papers on a new house out in the country here but its was a shorsale on 2.8 acres so if not to much is in crap in the housse i hope ill be able to move over shop i want to build another sp89when weather is nice. i build one one the cheap, a little over $600 it alot of fitting with mag was needed and expected but it runs awsome you can pick up sp89 barrels on gunbroker for bout 100 bucks by times
Yeah really... Have you been studying how to type under Jeff? No offense intended, Jeff. :biggrin: :biggrin:

ps... How ya doing, big guy?

·
Banned
599 Posts
What is your problem shattermind?? Feel free to pm me -if it is that I try to give a view to someone that it won't cost a million to own a rifle or a pistol . Or your big guy trying to paddle his stuff with the only goal to make money don't botherr
Yeah really... Have you been studying how to type under Jeff? No offense intended, Jeff. :biggrin: :biggrin:

ps... How ya doing, big guy?

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
What is your problem shattermind?? Feel free to pm me -if it is that I try to give a view to someone that it won't cost a million to own a rifle or a pistol . Or your big guy trying to paddle his stuff with the only goal to make money don't botherr
Whoa... nothing of the sort. It's a well known legend around here that Jeff doesn't have very good typing skills, but we all know what he means and can figure out what needs to be communicated. Frankly, the post I referred to was missing a bunch of punctuation and littered with run on sentences and generally looked like you had just gotten back from a lengthy night at a local pub... similar to what Ghilliebear's post usually look like.

No offense intended... it was strictly a tongue in cheek poke at Jeff... and you know we love you.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
haha!!! I wasn't meaning ghillie from the text although it does kinda look like Ghillie Speak. I meant you should call him for advice/ and a build. He does amazing work, stands behind it 100%, and wont try to upsell you anything you don't need or anything. he charges very little for the work he does and never charges for his amazing advice. Only person you hurt by not talking to him is yourself. Unless you email him. Then you may hurt your head trying to translate it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts