HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey it shouldn’t matter if the hammer is forward or back (cocked) for disassembly of the trigger housing from the upper receiver right? I feel like I’ve seen it both ways in videos, but I’d like to pull the trigger first and then take off the pack as then there is no way to have the hammer fall when it’s not connected to the upper.

Also when pulling the trigger housing pack off the receiver can you just basically pull it straight off rearward or does it have to hinge down?

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
I usually have the hammer cocked when I take off the lower. It’s usually that way anyway because I’ve checked the chamber to make sure it’s clear before disassembly. Not sure why you’d do it with the hammer in the fired position, since all that does is add a little more drag since the hammer spring is holding the hammer against the rear of the carrier. I also usually keep the safety on, so I’m not worried about the hammer accidentally dropping when the lower is off. I normally pull down the rear of the lower a bit and pull back as I’m removing it. Not sure if you have to do it that way because of geometry of the rear of the receiver, but I’ve always done it that way. In any case, the SP5 manual shows you swinging down the lower. Why wouldn’t you do it like the manual says?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Agree, cocked safety on. Mine almost falls off once the stock is removed. In fact I have a dent in my antique desk to remind me of this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So there seems to be a preferred method though it appears it can be done either way without issue correct? I would think live action fire with the bolt reciprocating and cocking the hammer would be significantly more “drag” than with disassembly right?

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
Drag was a poor term. I meant the hammer resting against the carrier holds the lower up, so you have to pull slightly to to get it off. Anyway, it’s your gun. Disassemble it how you want. Two people have said they do it with the hammer cocked, and the video from a member of the HK shooting team also shows it with the hammer cocked. It will work either way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see your point. I was surprised that the HK video had the hammer forward, but I found my manual and the pics show it forward as well so indeed it looks like it doesn’t matter how it’s done.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
I see your point. I was surprised that the HK video had the hammer forward, but I found my manual and the pics show it forward as well so indeed it looks like it doesn’t matter how it’s done.
It just comes apart more smoothly with the hammer cocked & safety on. The pins even come out easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts