HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my second SP5 and time to play with this one - will be wearing an A3 stock once SBR stamp is back and also picked up a SEF binary trigger group (cocking handle and mag base plate cover 922r for what it’s worth so I’m not worried about German vs US parts for this decision).

Now I’m trying to decide what handguard and rail I should use. I don’t have experience with either the HK or the Knights but I’m thinking I’ve narrowed it down to those two. I know HK is a proprietary system and Knights will be ready to go out of the box but for those of you out there who’ve used these can you please share your view? I’ll likely be waiting awhile for either so don’t want to be disappointed when they finally come in and I find I bought the wrong one. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have the Knights setup on one--I like it. I went with the B&T on the K (no Knights available)--I like it. I went with the B&T lightweight rail on another SP5. Both are well made and attach solidly and easy. I went with the B&T for the second because of a my positive experience on the K, and the price. I got the hand guard and lo pro scope mount for less than the KAC hand guard alone. Can't go wrong with either

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have no experience with HK’s handguard, but KAC's will slightly mar the receiver’s finish if that’s a concern. Keep us posted.
That's actually very easy to avoid with tape. I just put a small strip of electrical tape where the KAC slides over and zero scuffs of any kind.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the Knights RAC set-up and it's awesome. The reason I didn't go with any type of claw mount is because I didn't want to mar the receiver. I posted my thoughts on the KAC in the link below:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I put a KAC rail on my SP5 right after it made it into my hands. You can prevent the marring of the receiver's finish, but it requires careful work with either very thin card stock or some folded heavy packing tape, to protect the finish while you carefully work the rail into place. Here are my thoughts so far:

• I like the combo of KAC rail and optic mount. It puts the optic in a good place, and eliminates the marks of a claw mount
    • That said, the side projections of the bolts on the optic mount can interfere with a side-folding stock or brace
  • The KAS rail is very well built, and convenient, but it's also a bit 'fat' on the front of the SP5
  • With the hand guards removed, the KAC rail is a bit rough on the hands

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have no experience of the Knight's rail and chose new HK top rails for low profile and size. However one of the two I have had an issue - the spring holding one of the jaws closed broke. That doesn't seem to affect function once the top screws are tightened but it's slightly annoying.

Also, given the price these are fetching on the market, it would have been be nice to have had the necessary Torx bit (T15 from memory) thrown in since the top screws are very stiff when new.

Installing and removing the HK top rail without marring the surface finish is an art since there is not much clearance and a bit of "jiggling" is necessary to get the rear sight mount block correctly into the hole for it in the underside of the top rail while keeping the claw mounts open.

My substitute for the desirable "third hand" is to insert a length of 1/4" wooden round dowel between the open claws and the body of the top rail. This keeps the spring loaded claws from dragging over the receiver as I remove or install the top rail. However best practice is not to install or remove the top rail more than you absolutely have to.

Just my 2c's

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. I found both KAC rails for $560 total which I felt like was a great price in today’s world. I’ll post pics and my installation experience once all the parts come in but will look like @Scott_157’s and I think I’m going to go with an aimpoint micro.

I’ll keep my eye open for the HK options as well but only found the optics mount on GB and they are 2x MSRP to start so I picked up both KAC rails for ~$200 less than the HK MLI optic rail alone.

Now I just need to find a SP5K....

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
"It might mar the finish"... some of you guys crack me up. You've probably done more damage to your guns taking them in and out of the hyperbaric black light framed chamber they are in because you obviously don't go shooting and put your gun on a bench or actually work in the field.. Collectors... Lol...

Reactions: Raisitup

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know about HK, but KAC's handguard will slightly mar the receiver’s finish and if that’s a concern, Its actually very easy to avoid, just put a small strip of electrical tape where the KAC slides over and zero scuffs of any kind.

·
Registered
106 Posts
"It might mar the finish"... some of you guys crack me up. You've probably done more damage to your guns taking them in and out of the hyperbaric black light framed chamber they are in because you obviously don't go shooting and put your gun on a bench or actually work in the field.. Collectors... Lol...
I first shot my shiny new SP5 2 days after I got it home. That said, I can't stand finish scrapes from mundane things like installing components, disassembly, etc. I don't mind the things that happen with normal use and wear, but can't stand when I ding something that could have been avoided :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Knight’s rail installed this morning...electrical tape on the ends of the rail was applied as a precaution but it was a 5min install. Just awaiting my Form 1 to complete it and go shooting.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you! That was the first thing I noticed when I put it on this morning...the lever is just too big and definitely interferes with your grip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts