HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to improve my factory SP5 trigger, what do you guys use and recommend? I've heard mostly good things about Bill Springfield but have heard some horror stories. Are Denny Williams trigger jobs top quality? I am also not opposed to swapping some parts myself. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I'd like to improve my factory SP5 trigger, what do you guys use and recommend? I've heard mostly good things about Bill Springfield but have heard some horror stories. Are Denny Williams trigger jobs top quality? I am also not opposed to swapping some parts myself. Thanks!
Denny Williams has been in the business since the 1980s. That should speak for itself. There have been reports of Bill Springfield having some issues at one time. I don't believe that is a concern any longer.

I went down the rabbit hole of different trigger options for my HK roller locks awhile back. Wrote this up with what I found. http://s3.amazonaws.com/hk-manuals/files/Misc/Other/Survey_of_HK_Roller-Lock_Trigger_Units.pdf
Of course, pull-weight isn't the whole story. The Franklin binary trigger has a lower pull weight than either a Springfield or Williams job, but it is not as crisp as they are. But it does offer binary mode too.

First things first, I'd recommend that you leave your factory pack alone. If you want to upgrade, get an entirely different pack to swap in. The best improvement for your buck is something like this:
https://hkparts.net/product/ptr-hk91-g3-308-7-62-enhanced-trigger-pack-match-p17014.htm

It's a 308 pack, so you'll need to swap in the appropriate ejector, at least. Possibly you'll need to swap the hammer spring for something appropriate for 9mm as well.

The best match type pack you can get would be to pick up a spare 9mm pack and have it sent to Williams.

·
Registered
333 Posts
do not send anything to bill springfield , dude is aweful. People have sent stuff to him recently and it goes into a big black hole. Bought a G36 optic off of him, sent me a broken one after 2 months sending him $$$. Do not do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have sent multiple firearms to Mr. Springfield. From VP9’s to SP5s. I have nothing but good things to say about his work. Super Fast turnaround, very good communication. He has done multiple trigger packs for me, SEF & Ambi’s. I shoot my semis in USPSA PCC Competition. Never had a problem out of any of them & they feel so much better than stock. Every semi trigger pack I get, I send to him.
I’m a 1911 trigger job snob. So, I’m pretty picky & anal about triggers.
Just saying that I would not hesitate sending him any trigger pack. His VP work is pretty sweet too.

Reactions: dc4int01

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
I have sent multiple firearms to Mr. Springfield. From VP9’s to SP5s. I have nothing but good things to say about his work. Super Fast turnaround, very good communication. He has done multiple trigger packs for me, SEF & Ambi’s. I shoot my semis in USPSA PCC Competition. Never had a problem out of any of them & they feel so much better than stock. Every semi trigger pack I get, I send to him.
I’m a 1911 trigger job snob. So, I’m pretty picky & anal about triggers.
Just saying that I would not hesitate sending him any trigger pack. His VP work is pretty sweet too.
Have you sent anything to him recently?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I replaced the hammer, trigger, sear for 922r purposes with the USA parts HKPARTS sells in both my SP5 and Z5RS. I think these parts are made by PTR. In both cases the result was a very pleasant trigger. Long but clean. You could try this to start, or get the equivalent Blackwing parts from RTG. If you might sbr in the future I would replace these parts anyway before sending the trigger pack off for more work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Regrettably, Denny Williams is not taking trigger work for the foreseeable future, if ever again. I spoke to him over this 4th of July(2020). As per the man himself... he sustained a major shop/basement fire in February that also did major smoke damage to his house too. The recovery has been very slow. Incidentally, he is not a young man.

I wished him well and a speedy recovery, from all of his loyal fans of his trigger jobs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts