HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

After an attempt to buy a clone that didn't pan out last year, I purchased an SP5K in November and absolutely love it. Like, "Get a room" love it. I used a full-size MP5 for years and really liked it. No auto sear on my SP5K, but I have been extremely impressed with the fit, finish, reliability and accuracy. Of course, the next step was to spend even more money on it!

As others have noted, the magazine release button requires an ET-like finger to use. I explored all of the ways to install the paddle and will probably send it to Michael's Machines down the road for that, a tri-lug barrel and engraving. The problem is that my family is contemplating a work-related move to a less SBR friendly state and I don't want to have any work done before I know the specifics of where we are headed. After seeing the Tac-Latch mentioned on a thread, I decided to try it out as an interim step.

First off, I got it from HKparts like everything else that everyone appears to buy. Here's the link: https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2792&idcategory=150

It was delivered quickly and came with instructions. For some reason, I googled a video of the installation and forgot the one that HKparts links to right on the product page. Since this was my first attempt at installing something on the MP5 platform, it took me about 30 minutes, several needless attempts and a minimum amount of swearing. This would have been reduced if I had actually remembered to watch the video or had any mechanical skills at all. Most of you could probably do it in half the time.

Once installed, it looks as advertised and worked well for dry fire. I got to take it to the range yesterday and feel like it worked well for what it is- better than the factory magazine release, not as well as the paddle. In short, exactly what I was looking for as an interim step and well worth $60. A few caveats:

1) I don't know about it's long-term use. I'll work on that every chance I get and report back.
2) I like to shoot both right and left handed based on available cover. I haven't tried using the Tac-Latch from the left-hand side (i.e., reloading with my right hand.)
3) I run a magazine coupler with the right-hand magazine as the primary and the left-hand as the reload. (This is the opposite of what I was taught with the MP5, but allows me to fold the brace with the right-hand magazine inserted.) Using this set-up put the Tac-Latch farther from my thumb on the reloads. Reloading single magazines worked much faster.

Thanks for reading. I hope this helps other SP5K owners. I'll load a few pics when I get back from the range- I'm off to teach a new person to shoot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok- just got back from the range. Reloading with the right hand holding the magazine is easy, as you just use the magazine release button and ignore the latch. I hadn't thought of that.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Did you consider the Michael's Machines drop-in factory paddle option? He can install a factory German paddle without the need of welding/refinish. For a range gun, I really think it is the best route.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you consider the Michael's Machines drop-in factory paddle option? He can install a factory German paddle without the need of welding/refinish. For a range gun, I really think it is the best route.
Yes- as I said, I'm pretty sure he's where I'm going once I find out where I might be moving. That's why this is an interim step, I couldn't stand using the factory magazine release anymore but I only want to ship it to him once after I figure out what mods will be legal wherever I'm headed. Thanks for the recommendation though, it sounds like he's the guy to use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This sounds like an advertisement...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I'd say it is more of a product recommendation, for the Tac-Latch as well as SP5Ks, I guess. I was just happy with the purchase, install and use and thought others might be in the same boat between getting the gun and having the paddle installed. Now that you mention it, I don't even know who makes it for HKparts, do they build there own stuff?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts