HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn between this and a top notch built gun

What do you think of the SP5K now that it is in you hands?

How is it as a sear host/SBR?

How much did you spend on the pistol?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I crossed this bridge a few weeks ago.

This is from my previous post about this:

I really thought about it...a lot

I looked at the SP5K, which is at that $2500 price point, but there are a few things that turned me off to the SP5K and drove me towards contracting PCS for a custom build:

1.) If I choose to go Full-Auto later, I wouldn't be able to do that with the SP5K w/o some type of modification (I've heard various reports that the F/A bolt carriers won't work properly without "some modification"; Extra metal parts in the receiver to prevent the F/A sear; or a "pin" located around the rear sight inside the receiver.
2.) The barrel of the SP5K is 4.53" (no 3-lug) & Honestly, that 3-lug barrel helps give the MP5 that iconic look; My custom order will have the 3-lug MP5K-N barrel (5.5"; threaded; 1/2x28)
3.) I want to have the paddle magazine release
4.) F/A sear ready

It would've cost me the base $2500-$2700 (plus tax) for the new SP5K; another +$500-$700 for ALL the parts I would want on it (if not more; MP5K-N [threaded;1/2x28] barrel required); I would have to pay a gunsmith with HK & MP5/MP5K experience and reputation another few hundred dollars for the all the work and to re-finish it. I've seen prices range from $1100-$1750

*************(Pricing from a well know Vendor)********************
Services/Prices for Converting SP5K to MP5K or MP5K-N

RCM 3 Lug MP5K Barrel with MP5K-N Style Threaded Muzzle $190 (available with 1/2 x 28 or 1/2 x 32 threads)

Labor to Replace Barrel $445

Paddle Mag Install $195

Paddle Mag Lever and Contact Piece $110 (Factory New Hk Parts, you may provide your own parts as well)

Refinish Upper Receiver and Barrel Assembly $175

TOTAL: $1115 (plus the cost of the SP5K)

After the base price of the new SP5K and all the other work, I'd be well over $3K; And after ALL that work, HK would NEVER honor any warranty or do ANY service if I had issues.

My custom build includes ALL the parts I want; NO additional modifications required if I purchase F/A sear; tested with a F/A sear; the actual gunsmith that built my pistol will work on my pistol if there are ANY problems

My pistol will be built EXACTLY how I would like it, with considerations to what I want to do in the future, NOT what I "could" do with some extra work.

Also, I can directly call the person making the pistol, which wouldn't have been an added to this list, but he and I needed to talk last night about some questions he had because he wanted the pistol to be "perfect".

Yes, it IS a large investment, but after it's all said and done I will have my dream build the exact way I would like to have it w/o the need for extra time, parts, and money down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
I like it. I own the German 'preban' models (sp89/hk94) as well and the quality is on par. It takes a little extra work to convert it to K specs vs the SP89, but not by much. Its kind of a pain that I cant just slip on my other SP89 trigger housings since the shelf has been changed, but not a big deal. Performs no differently in a select fire role as the converted sp89. I paid $2300 shipping included for mine, sales tax free through mail order. That is one good thing about these weapons; I feel no need to hold it in my hands before I buy HK because I know the quality will be there. In the old days of clones you had to look very closely at the weapon before buying, and thankfully those days are pretty much over, but I know a few old timers who had a bad experience with a vector or SW gun that will never buy another US mp5 again. US made HK-style roller locks have come a long way since then, and there are a few true craftsmen who will fully back their products. That being said I've owned a few builds over the years and they were great performers, but they were never as trouble free as the German made models. Heaven forbid if you ever had to sell an mp5, but you'll always get a better return on a German gun. Heck, odds are good that you might even make money.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
I am torn between this and a top notch built gun

What do you think of the SP5K now that it is in you hands?

How is it as a sear host/SBR?

How much did you spend on the pistol?
Did you even read any of the numerous other threads? Have you ever heard of the "search" function? Are you going to start a new thread titled, "Tell us Your HK Experience"?

There, I was officially obligated to ask those question. Now that I have the legal stuff out of the way...

It's a great gun
Works great as a sear host. Only required about one hour of modification, and a POF carrier that I already had.
$2250 at the local Cabela's

In reference to MajorTron's post (from another thread you should have already read, per initial statements above), if you really want a PDW version... there are probably cheaper ways to get that. And since you will barely end up with a German gun if you do that, what's the point. Sure, you'll have a German receiver build, which is great, but the purests out there might not appreciate it's modified pedigree.

Even if you just want to SBR it, you still have to change out several parts to US made. Not a biggie, I guess, if you can keep the German stuff around.

Myself, I just modified the POF carrier and the grip I use my sear in. So the gun is still in its virgin state. And will probably stay that way. I have two Coharie clones that have the paddle mag release and three lug barrel for my suppressor. They are my "shooters". This one will just be for special use/events.

But the key here is that it runs better than anything else I've got. And I've got a lot of stuff, even HK stuff. It is, and I'm talking about full auto here, absolutely fantastic. In fact... if they get cheaper, I'll probably buy another one.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
$445 on the labor to install a bbl! WOW. Now I understand owning a business cost $$$ and being in business for 30 years, I fully understand operating costs but $445 again WOW

Back to the OP, I have an original HK SP89, that I recently purchased for $4250 and while it does have the paddle mag release and FA carrier. My cost is relevant Get yourself the Sp5k.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have SP5K and getting B&T threaded barrel and paddle mag release installed, restamp and refinish Total damage is a hair less than $3k including all the labor and parts, SP5K included. Is it worth it? I think so. And I can deal with some modifications here and there to build a dream HK firearm.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you guys talked me into it. The real HK seems to hold value in the long run

I was searching GB for sp5k and it looks like I can get one for ~2300 to 2350 in hand.

I also did some of my usual searches and came across a RDIAS and WOW what a price. Same guy is offering the same WOW factory for this HK sear gun.

Full auto fleming HK sear in 308 HK51, MP5 : Machine Guns at GunBroker.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts