HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
I agree.... and it’s infuriating for the poor people such as myself.... my opinion but it’s stupid to “Collect” these types of guns

too many fudds and their damn safe queens and not enough people training and shooting...all for the fudds to die and their gun control enabling children/siblings to turn their gun over to the police for “safety”
End rant

I want one so I can at least put 10k-20k rounds through them via training and competition
Honestly, if that is your goal, just go buy a B&T APC9 Pro and be done with it! Only $2300 brand new and they are widely available. It's what I consider a "modern MP5" as it has the classic MP5 sub-gun silhouette and feel, but with modern controls i.e. bolt catch and magazine release buttons in a location that can be accessed quickly with your trigger finger for lightning fast reloads (compared to slow MP5 reloads). A superb, Swiss quality firearm through and through. To me, it's like the MP5 and SCAR had a baby (both are among my favorite military guns), but with better controls and a non-reciprocating charging handle. Just add red dot optic of your choice and even a SBR tax stamp and you're still in it well under $3k. Time to go train and compete! ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Honestly, if that is your goal, just go buy a B&T APC9 Pro and be done with it! Only $2300 brand new and they are widely available. It's what I consider a "modern MP5" as it has the classic MP5 sub-gun silhouette and feel, but with modern controls i.e. bolt catch and magazine release buttons in a location that can be accessed quickly with your trigger finger for lightning fast reloads (compared to slow MP5 reloads). A superb, Swiss quality firearm through and through. To me, it's like the MP5 and SCAR had a baby (both are among my favorite military guns), but with better controls and a non-reciprocating charging handle. Just add red dot optic of your choice and even a SBR tax stamp and you're still in it well under $3k. Time to go train and compete! ;)
exactly... I’m also not sure how many “poor” people can afford 10-20k rounds of 9mm for competitions and range time

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree.... and it’s infuriating for the poor people such as myself.... my opinion but it’s stupid to “Collect” these types of guns

too many fudds and their damn safe queens and not enough people training and shooting...all for the fudds to die and their gun control enabling children/siblings to turn their gun over to the police for “safety”
End rant

I want one so I can at least put 10k-20k rounds through them via training and competition
Ahem A "fudd" perspective, just for giggles.

Some fudds do train with the stuff in their collection they carry or see themselves putting into service. A semi-auto 9mm pistol on steroids doesn't make that list for lotsa people, thus the SP5 safe queen. Some fudds even have the benefit of training with guns much cooler than the ones in their collections. Those fudds might like to own the closest semi-auto version of what they've used in their careers. Again, the SP5 safe queen.

The benefit for some is, before lotsa fudds become worm food, their collections will be liquidated to folks like yourself because those fudds know their survivors couldn't care less about firearms. So see? Fudds can serve a purpose.

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
Crazy prices but I am not surprised considering whats happening.

Someone will buy it, bet on it.
Don’t see it happening. Right now, bid auctions are finishing around $4K, and auctions with BIN prices or starting bids over that amount are going untouched. And that’s even with the potential political changes upcoming, and the fact that there are indications that the current SP5K PDW batch is about tapped out, with no more due until likely next year.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Honestly, the typical street price of $2500 was already pushing the limit of what a SP5 should be priced at.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Honestly, the typical street price of $2500 was already pushing the limit of what a SP5 should be priced at.
You must mean MSRP? Street price always been $3k or higher. Now, can you buy higher quality with more tech fir $2500, of course. But that’s not the debate here. The market has proven that MSRP is a bargain, not the high end of what it should be.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don’t see it happening. Right now, bid auctions are finishing around $4K, and auctions with BIN prices or starting bids over that amount are going untouched. And that’s even with the potential political changes upcoming, and the fact that there are indications that the current SP5K PDW batch is about tapped out, with no more due until likely next year.
You may be right. What happens to the value of these things if they outright ban them with no grand fathering?

·
Registered
95 Posts
You must mean MSRP? Street price always been $3k or higher. Now, can you buy higher quality with more tech fir $2500, of course. But that’s not the debate here. The market has proven that MSRP is a bargain, not the high end of what it should be.
No doubt. Obviously the demand dictates a higher price. But as you said, you can get higher quality with more tech for less. Don't get me wrong - it's a very nice PCC, but at the end of the day, it's still just a very expensive 9mm, and in many ways it's been surpassed by more effective options. The price these days is largely driven by collectors and fetishists who want a range toy, if we're being honest.

·
Registered
80 Posts
But as you said, you can get higher quality with more tech for less. Don't get me wrong - it's a very nice PCC, but at the end of the day, it's still just a very expensive 9mm, and in many ways it's been surpassed by more effective options.
Interesting. So making this statement in regards to just the SP5K/new civilian model(s) or the MP5 platform as a whole?

I ask as the owner, and of some models previous owner, of JP Enterprises GMR-15, B&T APC9 PRO, Angstadt UDP-9, CMMG Banshee, Ruger PC9, and Sig MPX. No gun has shot smoother than ANY of my MP5's, suppressed or not, or been a more solid performer in CQB drills. The best competition it had for compact is the APC9, best for smoothness the JP, accuracy the JP. Now update on ergos yes, but that is a training and body muscle memory thing to overcome. I don't buy the MP5's as a fan boy and actually spent my entire life hating them until 12 months or so ago when I had a chance to compare one against 6 other PCC rifles in the same range day. The MP5 surpassed them all out of pure enjoyment and the common saying was "damn that thing is smooth."

·
Registered
95 Posts
...The MP5 surpassed them all out of pure enjoyment and the common saying was "damn that thing is smooth."
No argument from me on that point. It's a ridiculously smooth gun.

But how "smooth" do you really need a gun to be, to deliver a 9mm round with mediocre ballistics and nominal recoil over short distances? Don't get me wrong - shooting one is a wonderful experience, speaking as a gun geek. But hard for the ends to justify the means, when one is paying $3k or more, especially when more effective options exist, for less $$, from a practical standpoint. There's nothing wrong with admitting that most people who are paying that kind of money for them are doing so for reasons that have little to do with practicality. If you have the money, and you just really want to own one, go for it. There's not much practical justification for owning a Ferrari either, unless you're a Ferrari owner.

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
You may be right. What happens to the value of these things if they outright ban them with no grand fathering?
Whats the value of something that people can’t legally own? Also, lots of people would be trying to sell their guns to get something out of them before they become worthless. Sure, some will be looking to buy to bury or hide and be a secret felon, but chances are they won’t have much trouble finding one for less than $15K.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hammer 67, your practical stance is well, practical, but saying there are better options than an MP5K 'clone' here might get you tarred and feathered.

;)
Ha, yeah, probably.

Don't get me wrong - I want one. I just can't bring myself to fork out more than $3k for one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Too rich for my blood. Hell, I thought I paid a lot for my SLB2000 ($800) and police surplus USP .40 ($300). I guess I'll stick with my Ruger PC9 ($400) for my PCC needs.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts