HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does detachable foregrip like Magpul MVG (picture shown) makes SP5k an AOW and requires a tax stamp? I've tried to search for an answer but all I saw was a debate on this subject and couldn't get a clear answer..

·
Registered
249 Posts
ANY handgun with a vertical foregrip is an AOW as classified by the NFA. If the firearm is a rifle (you submitted a form 1 for SBR and have a stamp) it is still an SBR and can be used with the foregrip on with or without the stock attached.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hand guard/hand stop and some AFG are grey areas, VFGs are not. And don't AOW it, SBR it and then you can put whatever you want on the front.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so it is a no-go for a liberal states like NY here...gotta get outta here

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have wondered about this point myself. I have come up with a solution. A bipod on a pistol is legal. So, shouldn't a monopod the legal as well?

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,806 Posts
Please stop soliciting legal advice. Pretty much any device used as a vertical forward grip on a pistol means that NFA registration is required. State laws add another layer of fun to the process.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The legal definition of "pistol" is a weapon designed to be fired with one hand. A weapon with a foregrip is said to be designed to be fired with two hands. Since it's not a pistol anymore and doesn't fall into any of the other NFA categories, that makes it AOW.

This is all based on stuff I've read on da interwebz, so please don't take my word for it. My first hand experience with the NFA amounts to the research I've done so far for buying a machine gun.

·
Priest of the P7
4,962 Posts
In fact, if you had the pictured fore end on your SP5K and possessed that VFG they could probably getcha for constructive possession I betcha.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
The legal definition of "pistol" is a weapon designed to be fired with one hand. A weapon with a foregrip is said to be designed to be fired with two hands. Since it's not a pistol anymore and doesn't fall into any of the other NFA categories, that makes it AOW.

This is all based on stuff I've read on da interwebz, so please don't take my word for it. My first hand experience with the NFA amounts to the research I've done so far for buying a machine gun.
Your logic, while sounding solid from a superficial standpoint, is incomplete. To finish your thought/logic, pretending for the moment that actually matters: A weapon designed to be fired with two hands is a rifle. So this becomes an SBR whether you have a stock installed or not.

So you're back to square one.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Your logic, while sounding solid from a superficial standpoint, is incomplete. To finish your thought/logic, pretending for the moment that actually matters: A weapon designed to be fired with two hands is a rifle. So this becomes an SBR whether you have a stock installed or not.

So you're back to square one.
No, a rifle is a weapon designed or intended to be fired from the shoulder.
A pistol is designed to be fired with one hand.
The AOW is a catch all that the pistol with a vertical grip falls under.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
No, a rifle is a weapon designed or intended to be fired from the shoulder.
A pistol is designed to be fired with one hand.
The AOW is a catch all that the pistol with a vertical grip falls under.

I was using his logic, not actual fact. You gotta keep up. :biggrin:

·
Registered
589 Posts
An Uzi with a stock on it is a rifle. The same kind of gun, with the same handguard, made for the same off hand to hold it while firing it, can legally be a pistol.

An AR15 can be made as a pistol with a rifle hand guard on it. It is designed to be used with two hands, yet is legal.

The only answer is this: By the legal definition, a pistol with a rifled bore cannot be an AOW. The rulings are arbitrary and pointless, and should be challenged in court.

·
Registered
437 Posts
In Cali this is the only tax stamp we can pay for. It's also implied that it will circumvent someone from being brought up on California state law sbr charges (California interprets things different) as a non-shouldered pistol brace is a grey area in my state.

·
Registered
447 Posts
An Uzi with a stock on it is a rifle. The same kind of gun, with the same handguard, made for the same off hand to hold it while firing it, can legally be a pistol.

An AR15 can be made as a pistol with a rifle hand guard on it. It is designed to be used with two hands, yet is legal.

The only answer is this: By the legal definition, a pistol with a rifled bore cannot be an AOW. The rulings are arbitrary and pointless, and should be challenged in court.
You mean the barrel shroud, the "thing that goes up".

Let us know when you get the rulings changed. Until then we have to abide by them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.