HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched before posting, but didn't find this topic. Anyone trimmed off the front portion of the handguard just before the handstop to expose the barrel? Would this be a legal modification?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anyone trimmed off the front portion of the handguard just before the handstop to expose the barrel?

Ew, dude - no no no - that thing is ugly as heck, but if you go to chopping around on it, it'll only get uglier. Do like what WebStrands suggested - get a "regular" one somewhere and install that, set the original aside. Am pretty sure that one was designed by lawyers and not engineers anyway.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Not that I doubt that statement, but what real purpose does the design serve in that regard? Just generally making it look less scary?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Not that I doubt that statement, but what real purpose does the design serve in that regard? Just generally making it look less scary?
well it does have that thumb rest, not that i'd even think about putting my thumb that close to the barrel.... Are the only standard ones US made? I guess HK wouldn't bother with producing those. I was gonna pick one up too. Shroud looks like ****

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well - the design is kinda self-evident - keeping the user's fingers from possibly creeping out over the end of the barrel and having a messy mishap. That's why I said - half jokingly - that it was designed by lawyers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about keeping away from bans and whatnot, not actual safety :p
.....and liability. I can imagine some attorney for H&K going "Nein!! Some dummkopf American will shoot their hand off and then blame us - you will change that!" - and the SP89 handguard was born. Now, if you change theirs off for something else, it could safely be said that you're on your own.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That hand guard is basically like the original MP5K handguard with the vertical grip removed. It does serve a purpose as it is, but if you were going to modify it why not buy one of the $30 ones from HK Parts and try to add the grip back onto it. An AR vertical front grip some screws, washers, epoxy and a dremel tool and you could probably come pretty close if you are handy. And if it doesn't work out you are only out maybe $60, and you can put the original one back on.

·
Priest of the P7
4,797 Posts
^That's a magpul vertical grip attached to that handguard and although I don't recognize the hand stop it's likely not part of the handguard either. It looks like an M-lok system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes it is M-Lok. Would be handy to add or delete hand-stop as needed. Unless he is trying to keep the looks HK authentic.The magpul grip looks ugly on it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had an extra Thordsen buffer tube kit lying around so I thought I would try it using the brace adapter from HK parts.net. That was the lowest cost option for me since I only needed the adapter. FullSizeRender (1).jpg It actually doesn't look as bad as I thought, and lines up nicely for a good cheek weld. This should make it a little more friendly to shoot while I decide what the long term plans will be for my SPK5. I wanted to mount an AFG2 using this slotted hand guard from HK parts.net, but it doesn't seem to fit. I tried for about 20 minutes by taking the inner attachment band out, fitting it on, easing the hand guard around, etc., but it felt like I was going to scratch the barrel so I stopped. Is there some trick to fitting that slotted hand guard?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts