HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I just picked an SP5K and the lower receiver (polymer pistol grip section) is a bit loose. About as loose as an AR that wobbles a wee bit. Also if I try to move the pistol grip/lower receiver forward and backward, it moves a bit.

Kind of annoying and not what I would expect on something priced this high.

That said I have zero experience with new MP5's, so forgive my ignorance in advance.

In comparison, I have a cz scorpion that was $700 dollars and also fits together with pins but is absolutely rock solid. Can anyone share their experience or info with the sp5k? Is this expected?

Thanks much,

-Freq

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Seeing how the real guns have a front pin, & that's how they were designed from the get go, to be importable the front pin had to go. So the compromise is the shelf, & that causes slight movement. I bet the "contract" guns with the front pin do not have this movement. GARY

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Totally normal

Shoot the two side by side, you'll see why the MP5 (SP5K) has been the bench mark for subguns for over 50 years

·
Unrepentant HKHolic
Ones that go Bang
4,933 Posts
Normal.........take em both to the Range and see which one more guys fawn over bet it wont be the CZ............put a sear pack in the SP5K and see how they drool

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I dunno, people drool pretty well over the scorpion, and it's a laser. Sharp recoil impulse though, hard to shoot fast. :)

I hear what you are saying though, it's sexy for sure. That said the lower movement really bugs me, when I push out on the sling I can feel the grip move.

I haven't taken it apart, is there any way it could be tightened up or perhaps mine is a bit out of spec?

-Freq

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
No I'm not offering to take it off your hands for $200, but you may want to sell it. Or better yet, remove the top rail and see if you have holes where the claw mounts are. Maybe you can get HK to replace it if that is indeed the case.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Completely normal. Recognize that in semi auto, there's no critical tolerance for the trip lever anymore, so what little play is there won't affect function of the hammer or bolt carrier. You say you just picked it up, so take it out to the range and enjoy it. If it bothers you that much, you could try using paper shims at the front of the lower grip housing where it contacts the receiver shelf. This is a temporary fix, but will tighten up an otherwise loose front interface.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's norm . can post a short vid .
Best of luck , If it has 1/2" movement I'd worry a little wiggle is expected .

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
.... That said the lower movement really bugs me, when I push out on the sling I can feel the grip move.
I haven't taken it apart, is there any way it could be tightened up or perhaps mine is a bit out of spec?

S
-Freq
Most are saying this is normal but I have to agree that I don't like stuff to move, within reason.
I couldn't figure out how you could get front to back play in a lower that has a pin hole that shouldn't allow this. Slight wobble...eh, maybe, but it shouldn't move to the point that it's going to bother you every time you shoot it.
I would expect some movement on the MP5/94, 33/93, and G3/91 rifles. The lower pistol grip has a rear tang that is held captive by the stock or end cap. The tang does not have a pin hole that would keep the lower from moving a little front to back.

You also mention that you haven't taken it apart yet....why? Even on a new gun they certainly should be field stripped and inspected prior to shooting.

After doing some searching I found a side by side of the SP5K and SP89...thanks to LRM19k.
Take a look at the size of the rear pin hole on the SP5K (bottom) compared to the SP89, it's noticeably larger....I think I would start there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most are saying this is normal but I have to agree that I don't like stuff to move, within reason.
I couldn't figure out how you could get front to back play in a lower that has a pin hole that shouldn't allow this. Slight wobble...eh, maybe, but it shouldn't move to the point that it's going to bother you every time you shoot it.
I would expect some movement on the MP5/94, 33/93, and G3/91 rifles. The lower pistol grip has a rear tang that is held captive by the stock or end cap. The tang does not have a pin hole that would keep the lower from moving a little front to back.

You also mention that you haven't taken it apart yet....why? Even on a new gun they certainly should be field stripped and inspected prior to shooting.

After doing some searching I found a side by side of the SP5K and SP89...thanks to LRM19k.
Take a look at the size of the rear pin hole on the SP5K (bottom) compared to the SP89, it's noticeably larger....I think I would start there.

Makes sense, will start there.

Side question: what's the best 1 point bungee sling (the included one is too short and not enough tension) and best place to buy mags?

-Freq

·
Registered
330 Posts
looks like all the push pins holes are bigger, but on mine they are very tight. I had my sp5k sent to IGF and the 3 lug barrel added .. have a tiny ammount of movement but nothing to worry about. Still is much tighter than my Sig MPX SBR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts