HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of this month, the SP5K is on the Maryland Handgun Roster and available for sale/transfer/ownership in Maryland. Hurrah for the triumph of common sense!

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
No 30 rd mags for you! Although I understand Virginia gun shows are popular for Maryland gun owners.

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's right @SudS . So the SP5K comes with 10 round mags which look silly just like my CZ Scorpion came with them and looked silly. Mags over 10 rounds are LEGAL to OWN in Maryland, you just can't buy or sell them in the state. So you have to go to another state, purchase there, and then you own them. Today I ordered a VP9LE. After paying and doing all the paperwork, I was checking it out and that's when I realized I was getting three 10 rd mags! Totally undervalued the package which was already expensive since I was buying at a LGS.
Good news for me with the SP5K is now I don't have to try and SBR it to get one. The issue with SBR in Maryland is that you have to meet the 29" OAM requirement for SBRs (but not for machine guns I learned today). So to get a SP5K to 29" OAL would have taken some creative shenanigans that would have been silly and costly.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Can you have suppressors in Maryland? If so you could pin and weld one to the gun to run it in a sbr config(after swapping the barrel or welding on a 3lug)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes suppressors, SBRs (greater than 29" OAL), SBS', machine guns, DD's, and AOW's are all legal in MD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Easier said than done, but I would just move. No way could I live in these states that have to long of an arm of Gov overreach.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd say Kali is worse than MD. I don't need no stinking bullet buttons;-)
Agree with RegularGuy no way MD is even close to CA. If you look at my post of items we can have in MD it is every NFA item with some caveats on SBRs with OAL and by named banned firearms.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Yes suppressors, SBRs (greater than 29" OAL), SBS', machine guns, DD's, and AOW's are all legal in MD.

Do MGs trump SBR status in MD? I.E... could you own a sear and not be forced to meet the 29" OAL criteria?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do MGs trump SBR status in MD? I.E... could you own a sear and not be forced to meet the 29" OAL criteria?

Yes, that is correct. MG are NOT bound by the 29" OAL rule, but SBRs (and rifles) are. Rules here don't make sense. Unlike CA in MD we can own standard capacity magazines, but we cannot transact (i.e. buy or sell or trade) in them in MD. CA just banned ownership of mags over 10 rounds with no grandfathering. I wonder if they are fighting that new law or if it's a done deal?

·
Registered
8,464 Posts

As mentioned, yes MG status with a sear trumps SBR, however, that sear is effectively "married" to the host if the host does not meet the 29" OAL requirement and can't be SBRed.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
As mentioned, yes MG status with a sear trumps SBR, however, that sear is effectively "married" to the host if the host does not meet the 29" OAL requirement and can't be SBRed.
I know that's how it works everywhere else. Didn't know if MD was going retarded and requiring the SBR the MG was/is attached to be 29" OAL also. Example being they couldn't own a MP5K even with a sear with out a longer barrel.

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@PSG1 Nut it's not full retard like CA thankfully, but it's pretty annoying and confusing. I just learned the MG rule about OAL yesterday when I discovered the SP5K was legal. I still have no idea what version of MP5 is vs is not legal.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Can they use pistols as sear hosts and attach stocks while the sear is installed, then convert it back to pistol configuration when the sear is removed? That's what I currently do with the SP5K here in TX.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Can they use pistols as sear hosts and attach stocks while the sear is installed, then convert it back to pistol configuration when the sear is removed? That's what I currently do with the SP5K here in TX.
I am no longer in Maryland, but as I understand it, yes. However...you can't purchase an SP89 in Maryland, but you can purchase an MP5k machine gun (sear married). On the other hand, the SP5k is legal to purchase in Maryland, doing what you describe sounds perfectly legal (understanding that's my opinion, so everyone should do further research for their own legality). That's right...against the law to purchase an SP89, legal to purchase an SP5k. Clear?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Remember the 29" OAL rule is relatively new (2015 IIRC) so you could have an MP5K that was an SBR in the state before that and not meet the OAL minimum.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts