HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still fairly new to h and k but my question is do you think they will make the sp5k in a rifle version any time soon?

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
They could import as a sporter rifle, thumb hole stock, 10 rd special mags and mag well block, 16 inch barrel, etc. Basically USC looks. Or see also zenith z-5 rifle, but imagine with a K.

They could even partner with HK Parts and swap required parts out for US ones. But you would still have the crazy long barrel. Actually that wouldn't be so bad, at least you could get it chopped and threaded vs replacing the whole barrel if you want to run suppressed.

Still I don't think a rifle version makes much sense, the pistol is a easier approach to an SBR as once approved you only need the stock*(922 rules conversation here).

If you are in a location where an sbr isn't an option, you could still buy the sp5k and install a longer barrel or pinned muzzle device and stock and parts, or get a stretch made etc. If course other options too if you go with a different brand.

I would think if HK brought it in as a rifle the full size would be more likely.

Why do you think you would go for a rifle over pistol?

Shockwave

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
They could import as a sporter rifle, thumb hole stock, 10 rd special mags and mag well block, 16 inch barrel, etc. Basically USC looks. Or see also zenith z-5 rifle, but imagine with a K.

They could even partner with HK Parts and swap required parts out for US ones. But you would still have the crazy long barrel. Actually that wouldn't be so bad, at least you could get it chopped and threaded vs replacing the whole barrel if you want to run suppressed.

Still I don't think a rifle version makes much sense, the pistol is a easier approach to an SBR as once approved you only need the stock*(922 rules conversation here).

If you are in a location where an sbr isn't an option, you could still buy the sp5k and install a longer barrel or pinned muzzle device and stock and parts, or get a stretch made etc. If course other options too if you go with a different brand.

I would think if HK brought it in as a rifle the full size would be more likely.

Why do you think you would go for a rifle over pistol?

Shockwave

I believe this only addresses US import laws/restrictions. we also have to consider Germany's draconian export laws/restrictions. I think I read somewhere on here, early on when the SP5K was first announced/discussed, that German export laws prohibited the exportation of a "sporting" model of the full size MP5. Hell, the German Gov. tried to pursue criminal charges against HK for selling evil "black" "military" rifles to the Government of Mexico for their military not all that long ago.. I can only imagine what they would try to do to HK for selling the evil "killing machine" known as the MP5 to law abiding citizens in the US?

Now, all that said, there are some work arounds, but it requires heaving capital investment in the States first. And given the dicey political climate we are currently experiencing, I can't fault any company for not wanting to invest a bucket of cash in the firearms industry right now.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Not sure on the German rules, but I suspect since they can export the MR 223 and MR 308 and even USC rifles abroad to Canada, Europe, etc I think they could export a rifle version of the sp5k, as long as it met our rules. But still not really sure why we would want it.

Anyway, since we won't likely see such anyway, carry on with your sp5k pistol mods! And hope a full size pistol comes along too...

Shockwave

·
Registered
720 Posts
Okay, I'll bite and show my ignorance. How is that ^^^^^ not a SBR? Thanks.
It is an "arm brace". They are designed to have you arm put through with that strap on the back of it to clamp it down. Last version of the atf's response is that you are not permitted to use it as a shoulder stock but you can put it against your face.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Okay, I'll bite and show my ignorance. How is that ^^^^^ not a SBR? Thanks.
The apparatus attached to the rear of the pistol is an arm brace. It is not a stock. It is designed to slip over your forearm. It is not intended to be placed against your shoulder.

edit: Beat by 1 minute...

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Not going to happen. Importing pistols and rifles is a completely different ball game. We are lucky to get the pistols, and compact one at that.
That's for sure.

I am amazed - and delighted - that we can buy German manufactured SP5Ks. This is really fantastic. I thinking about buying another one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts