HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of the first owners to get a serial number for the new H&K SP5K and e-filed a Form 1 to SBR it on 7/4, check cashed on 7/5.

Now the bad news: Because it was a new model, ATF didn't have a pull-down selection so I had to manually enter the model. This resulted in ATF classifying my Form 1 as the dreaded "PENDING RESEARCH". It took 23 days to complete the "research" and have the application classified as "SUBMITTED". This the point where it gets put into the pile for processing and starts the clock (Jul 27th).

Although I won't have to do the new 41F stuff (as far as I know), when I check the application in atfonline, the control number is consistent with an end of July submission. In other words, the application got shoved 23 days to the right because ATF couldn't figure out that a firearm everybody knew was coming for the last 2 years wasn't loaded into their $hitty system. FYI, late July control number for my app is 3614XX. Numbers start with 2016 followed by a six digit identifier, so mine was 20163614XX.

That means that I'm over 40,000 applications further down the road from when I actually uploaded it to ATF on July 4th. If you want to have a good idea where your application stands, get your internal control number from ATF online. Apps are sequentially assigned as they are entered into the system, and if you can do the math on throughput of control numbers, you can pretty well figure out when yours will percolate to the top. As of today, there are about 115,000 apps ahead of mine. Guys over on the forums at nfatracker are posting their dates submitted, dates approved and control numbers, so you can calculate / guesstimate rough ATF throughput and where your application is at in the queue.

·
Priest of the P7
5,037 Posts
I was one of the first owners to get a serial number for the new H&K SP5K and e-filed a Form 1 to SBR it on 7/4, check cashed on 7/5.

Now the bad news: Because it was a new model, ATF didn't have a pull-down selection so I had to manually enter the model. This resulted in ATF classifying my Form 1 as the dreaded "PENDING RESEARCH". It took 23 days to complete the "research" and have the application classified as "SUBMITTED". This the point where it gets put into the pile for processing and starts the clock (Jul 27th).

Although I won't have to do the new 41F stuff (as far as I know), when I check the application in atfonline, the control number is consistent with an end of July submission. In other words, the application got shoved 23 days to the right because ATF couldn't figure out that a firearm everybody knew was coming for the last 2 years wasn't loaded into their $hitty system. FYI, late July control number for my app is 3614XX. Numbers start with 2016 followed by a six digit identifier, so mine was 20163614XX.

That means that I'm over 40,000 applications further down the road from when I actually uploaded it to ATF on July 4th. If you want to have a good idea where your application stands, get your internal control number from ATF online. Apps are sequentially assigned as they are entered into the system, and if you can do the math on throughput of control numbers, you can pretty well figure out when yours will percolate to the top. As of today, there are about 115,000 apps ahead of mine. Guys over on the forums at nfatracker are posting their dates submitted, dates approved and control numbers, so you can calculate / guesstimate rough ATF throughput and where your application is at in the queue.
Duuuuude...just forget about it. You're going to drive yourself nuts. It'll come when it comes, the watched pot and all that...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Don't sweat it. I had something similar happen once. The person working on the form emailed me and asked what exactly it was and looked like and all, and I sent / emailed her pics of the firearm which was being made into an SBR and she thanked me and the form was approved a few days later.

I am hoping you have similar circumstances.

NFA = Nothing Fast Anytime - just part of the game :) Good luck with it!

·
LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Gents. Sometimes it just feels good to vent a little bit.

It is what it is.

I was also trying to give folks a heads up on how to track internal control numbers if they were interested in seeing where they are in the sausage grinder.

No worries! :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Thanks, Gents. Sometimes it just feels good to vent a little bit.

It is what it is.

I was also trying to give folks a heads up on how to track internal control numbers if they were interested in seeing where they are in the sausage grinder.

No worries! :biggrin:
That's pretty interesting Fudd, I've never really paid any attention to the control number. I am more of a 'set it and forget it' guy but that's a fun bit of data to boggle the mind over. Looks like my nearest Form 1 is about 37,000 forms away from being approved. :20000:

·
Registered
972 Posts
The BATFE is a lot more reasonable than I ever imagined. They are good with working with you if something wasn't put on the form right. At least in my experience.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Bummer about the delay in getting your form in process. At least you were able to beat the 41P deadline. I didn't get my SP5K until November, so i'm in no rush to jump through the additional hoops of getting photos and fingerprints (but that's another gripe altogether) only to wait a another year. I'm coming up on nine months for a Form 4 for a can, so i'll wait for the static to die down before i submit my Form 1.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you want NFA items, you must learn patience. File, forget, and be pleasantly surprised when your stamp is approved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you want NFA items, you must learn patience. File, forget, and be pleasantly surprised when your stamp is approved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had no problem waiting the first seven months but now that I know I'm very close number wise the anxiety is building.:p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts