HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOT my video, or in any way related to me. (Oh how I wish it was mine!!) I would not be surprised at all if the owner of the video is part of this forum.

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone explain to my how this can already legally have a stock, given they haven't been out very long? Maybe the time it takes to receive ATF approval is different for a machine gun vs. a regular semi-only version?

I've fired a full-auto MP5 several times and still dream about it, but this video makes me very jealous ;)

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
"Pardon my ignorance, but can someone explain to my how this can already legally have a stock, given they haven't been out very long? Maybe the time it takes to receive ATF approval is different for a machine gun vs. a regular semi-only version?"

Because he put a auto sear in it, once it becomes a machine gun he can put a stock on it. Once he takes the sear out, the stock must come off unless he also SBR's it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Because he put a auto sear in it, once it becomes a machine gun he can put a stock on it. Once he takes the sear out, the stock must come off unless he also SBR's it.
What they said. A SOT could also make a post sample gun out of one and fill out the paperwork. With post samples they don't have to wait for approval to finish the build(but since the video says registered sear I'm guessing it is a transferable one as a sot could just convert the gun vs using a modified pack with a sear in it).

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay that makes sense now, thanks for the clarification.

Nice vid...........what was that move at 0:41 in?
From the video notes: "I had my daughter filming me and she wanted me to do some cheesy over exaggerated action shooting at the end (flip flops and all) - I apologize in advance :)"

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I love watching people spend $30+ in ammo for a brief video.
While inheriting a sear would be sweet, I would never pay the huge price for one. As said above, feeding a FA is quite an expensive endeavor.
If I had bought some sears back in the day and had them, I'd be loving the fun occasionally when I could afford the cases of 9.
As it is now with my semi auto, feeding the MP5 is expensive enough. They are just so much fun and the mags empty so quickly.

·
Unrepentant HKHolic
Ones that go Bang
5,101 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
NOT my video, or in any way related to me. (Oh how I wish it was mine!!) I would not be surprised at all if the owner of the video is part of this forum.

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone explain to my how this can already legally have a stock, given they haven't been out very long? Maybe the time it takes to receive ATF approval is different for a machine gun vs. a regular semi-only version?

I've fired a full-auto MP5 several times and still dream about it, but this video makes me very jealous ;)
That's my video. A machine gun sear trumps SBR status, so I can legally add a stock and VFG once the sear is installed - just need to remove the stock before the pack comes out of the gun. I had my SP5K carrier welded to convert it to full auto, but one could easily remove the pin in the rear of the receiver and just add a full auto carrier.

Again, sorry about the ridiculous move at the end of the video ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
LRM19k - nice video. I'm in the process of having some clones built and since you have both an SP89 turned MP5K AND SP5K what would you say is the differences between the two. What I'm getting at is would it be advantageous for me to build a clone MP5K off of an SP89 or would the SP5 receiver as a starting point yield identical results? What is your opinion owning and having shot both in FA with a sear pack?

That's my video. A machine gun sear trumps SBR status, so I can legally add a stock and VFG once the sear is installed - just need to remove the stock before the pack comes out of the gun. I had my SP5K carrier welded to convert it to full auto, but one could easily remove the pin in the rear of the receiver and just add a full auto carrier.

Again, sorry about the ridiculous move at the end of the video ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
07/SOT can do anything immediately and send paperwork afterward. a manufacturer does not ask the feds for permission - they notify the feds they have built something. ;)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Did you name that move? :)
Awesome video and new host.
How many Sears do you own?
I don't know what you'd call that move...it's all in good fun though haha.
Just the one HK Sear as of now, it would be nice having another though!

LRM19k - nice video. I'm in the process of having some clones built and since you have both an SP89 turned MP5K AND SP5K what would you say is the differences between the two. What I'm getting at is would it be advantageous for me to build a clone MP5K off of an SP89 or would the SP5 receiver as a starting point yield identical results? What is your opinion owning and having shot both in FA with a sear pack?
As far as build quality, the SP5K and SP89 are identical except for the shelf configuration. If it were me, I wouldn't even mess with a clone that could be out of spec and made from inferior parts. Now that the SP5K is available, spend the $2100-$2500 on one and be done. You're getting all the latest and best quality German made parts.

·
Unrepentant HKHolic
Ones that go Bang
5,101 Posts
I had my SP5K carrier welded to convert it to full auto, but one could easily remove the pin in the rear of the receiver and just add a full auto carrier.
So you had yours welded up and didn't remove the pin? Care to share a couple of pics of the weld up?

·
Registered
250 Posts
So you wouldn't place any premium on a MP5k built off an SP89 over one built off of a SP5k?

I don't know what you'd call that move...it's all in good fun though haha.
Just the one HK Sear as of now, it would be nice having another though!

As far as build quality, the SP5K and SP89 are identical except for the shelf configuration. If it were me, I wouldn't even mess with a clone that could be out of spec and made from inferior parts. Now that the SP5K is available, spend the $2100-$2500 on one and be done. You're getting all the latest and best quality German made parts.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
So you wouldn't place any premium on a MP5k built off an SP89 over one built off of a SP5k?
I have both and can say there's no reason to buy a SP89 unless you have a thing for pre-ban guns or want the nicer "HK inc made in Germany" engravings on the mag well. They're identical in every other aspect (minus shelf), plus you get the piece of mind that you're getting a brand new gun and not one that's been used and abused, then put away in someones safe for decades. Don't get me wrong, I love my SP89 and will never sell it, but had I'd known the SP5K was coming out a couple years ago when I bought it, I might not have picked it up. I guess if you're looking at it from a value stand point, people will always pay a premium for a pre-ban gun, but it's up to you how much you want to spend. If you find a SP89 for sub $3k, then maybe it would be a wise investment.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts