HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new SP5k and took it out to the country for a test drive. I loaded 15 rounds in the clip for a start, but after just the first two rounds, the weapon would not eject. I dropped the clip and cleared the weapon and tried again. The gun would fire but would not eject the casing. Any ideas or is this a HK customer service call? Thanks.

·
Priest of the P7
4,803 Posts
Just got my new SP5k and took it out to the country for a test drive. I loaded 15 rounds in the clip for a start, but after just the first two rounds, the weapon would not eject. I dropped the clip and cleared the weapon and tried again. The gun would fire but would not eject the casing. Any ideas or is this a HK customer service call? Thanks.
*Magazine*. The SP5K does not utilize a "clip". Did you disassemble it first and clean off the packing grease/oil?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Give the guy a break, he is trying to fix his gat.

Being more descriptive would help. Was the casing left in the chamber? Stovepipe?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Mine actually FTF, FTE & Stovepiped early on. Ran over 1k rounds of hot 124 grain all the way. First 200 ran bad, second 200 got consistently better. Last 600+ including 100 147 gr HSTJHPs ran flawless.

If you're trying to break it in on light, underpowered, cheap target fodder? You're just asking for trouble. My advice is to clean and oil the gun. Then run a boatload of hot 124 NATO.

1k seems to be the recommend break in.
Remember that this thing isn't really a handgun.
It's a semi-auto SMG :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the information and I will try to be better at getting the correct naming conventions. I wiped down the weapon and the magazines to remove any excess grease. None of the casings were "stove piped." When I dropped the magazine, the empty casing fell out. I was using Remington UMC 115 grain FMJ which I have had good results with in my P30. I will do as Barth suggested and try a higher grain load.

·
Priest of the P7
4,803 Posts
Thanks to all for the information and I will try to be better at getting the correct naming conventions. I wiped down the weapon and the magazines to remove any excess grease. None of the casings were "stove piped." When I dropped the magazine, the empty casing fell out. I was using Remington UMC 115 grain FMJ which I have had good results with in my P30. I will do as Barth suggested and try a higher grain load.
Sorry, just a pet peave of mine. I've been running this stuff in mine and it's been 100%. You just need a little more powerful round to break it in.
MEN, 9mm Luger, FMJ, 124 Grain, 250 Rounds - 667996, 9mm Ammo at Sportsman's Guide

·
Registered
4,191 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
maybe if you use magazines, it will work.

·
Registered
447 Posts
As you can tell, this forum runs off of sarcasm.

Check your extractor, it shouldn't be loose. As you will eventually be told, that's the weak point of this system.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I think that some of the raw feelings regarding nomenclature stems from the antis constantly misusing terms. A clip is used to hold multiple rounds together and generally to feed a magazine. The latter is generally spring loaded and is what actually holds the rounds in the firearm and presents them for feeding into the chamber. For instance, 5.56 ammo frequently comes in 10 round stripper clips. These clips are used to feed the rounds into magazines. The M1 Garand ammo generally came in 8 round clips which were used to feed the rounds into the integral magazine of the gun.

That said, I think that we should be very welcoming of newer shooters as the more that the hobby grows the better for us all. We were all new shooters at one time.

As to the problem at hand.

I've never heard of any break in being required for any of the MP5 series guns, of which the SP5K is a semi version. In fact, for those who think otherwise I suggest that you call HK technical services and ask them directly. I'll bet you that they say the break in is: clean, lube, shoot.

As I noted in a prior post, I was an Adjunct Instructor at HK ITD later HK Defense. I attended the MP5 Operators and Instructor School. I attended the HK MP5 Armorer School taught by Bob Schultz, HK Director of Training, in March. At no point was there any mention of any break in for these guns. This was a very comprehensive course. Two full days on every aspect of the MP5 taught by the man who likely knows more about this gun than anyone in the US. No break in requirement mentioned at all.

It sounds like you may not have cleaned your SP5K prior to shooting. I'm not sure from your post. It does need to be cleaned and lubed first.

Also, did you make sure that that mag was seated completely? The mag not being seated is generally the most common reason for malfunctions (in any semi - hence "tap, rack, assess"). The immediate action drill for an MP5/SP5K, etc is "cant weapon slightly to the right, moving parts back, mag out, mag in with a push pull motion, moving parts forward" - this will generally fix what ails it. This will not fix a double feed though but this is not what you describe.

Also, be sure that your mag is good. Be sure that the feed lips are O.K. Being that these are new HK mags it's unlikely that there is a problem buy you never know. A guy in another thread received a new SP5K with a hole in the receiver. Mags get dropped, springs get weak, etc. They are the first thing that I think of when there are problems. That's why I have practice, competition and duty mags.

I would clean and lube the gun and try again. Be sure that the mag is fully seated. This is easiest when the moving parts are rearward esp if you fully load the mags. I usually operate with them downloaded by one or two rounds. This is standard teaching at HK. Keep in mind that unlike most semis, the MP5 9mm guns don't have a bolt hold open mechanism. Thus, emergency and tactical reloads are done with the moving parts forward. You don't want to be fighting the spring tension in a fully loaded mag during such reloads. For administrative reloads I bring the moving parts to the rear.

It is very helpful to have some of the special HK brushes for these guns. In particular, the receiver, chamber flute and chamber face brush. These are used with a fixed rod (i.e, not a rod that rotates).

Also, be sure to keep the extractor clean. A dental pick is great for this.

Further, it's very important to keep the recesses in the trunion where the locking rollers seat clean. I use a dental pick for this as well. If they get dirty enough the mechanism won't work properly. This is an often neglected but critical thing to do.

Also, if you change the extractor, locking roller holder, etc never re-use the same roll pins. Get new ones.

If you shoot your SP5K a lot the most likely thing that you'll have to change is the extractor spring and the locking roller holder. A chip puller tool makes changing the extractor spring easy. It's easy to change the locking roller holder once you've done it a time or two. It can be frustrating the first time. I'm sure that there is a Youtube on it. You'll need the correct punch, locking roller holder and roll pin. If you shoot this thing much it's good to have an extra extractor, extractor spring, locking roller holder and locking roller holder pin. Obviously be sure that you have the correct ones for the gun as I've been shipped MP5/10 extractor springs (grey) instead of the correct ones (copper color), etc. There are also three different locking roller holders. Be sure that you have the correct one.

HK says that if you take the extractor spring out, even just to clean the extractor, that you should use a new spring. As noted, a dental pick is usually all that's needed to clean the extractor, just keep up with doing so so that a lot of stuff does not get lodged in it.

Also note that in a pinch the gun can actually be fired perfectly well with a broken locking roller holder. However, the locking rollers will fall out when you take the gun apart and can be lost. So, pay attention to this when you take the gun down as the locking roller holders do break.

If you really shoot these things a lot you should learn the proper way to use a feeler gauge to see if plus sized locking rollers are needed.

As mentioned, the factory receiver cleaning brush is a must. The indented ridge in the receiver essentially forms the rail upon which the bolt carrier travels. The area of the bolt carrier that essentially rides this rail must be kept lubed and cleaned and the rail must be clean. Excess lube, dirt, etc will substantially increase the amount of resistance to movement of the bolt carrier and thus may lead to malfunctions. Hotter ammo overcomes some of these issues but if the gun is kept clean and lubed any good ammo should run it just fine.

One final note... if you do call HK with a tech question it may be best to ask for the LE guys. No offense to any of the civilian side guys but it's been a long time since the civilian guys had regular dealings with delayed blowback guns while the LE guys deal with them all the time.

Likely more than you were asking about but if you're new to these delayed blowback guns I thought that the above might be helpful. I wish that someone had told me some of this stuff years ago when I was new to the MP5.

Safe shooting!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
At work I actually keep a clip in my pocket. So when a customer asks me for a clip, I hand it to them. When they say that's not what they want, I politely tell them "you asked for a clip, so here it is". I then ask them if they meant to ask for a magazine, & that usually solves the problem. GARY
9 Most Misused Gun Terms - Guns & Ammo

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Use better ammo. After you get the grease off of the bolt assy, you should be good to go. But that Remington UMC stuff is notorious for weak loads. It is pretty much crap. Don't try to compare the action of an MP5 to a P30. The only thing they share is the brand name stamped on the side. After you get all the grease cleaned off of the bolt assy, the thing should work fine with quality ammo. You are shooting a semi-auto version of a submachinegun. Stop feeding it garbage ammo.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Got one yesterday and shot it today. No grease on mine, just oil. Shot S&B, Wolf, and Federal through it with no problem. Don't use weak ammo.

Also, if you jammed it up a few times with weak ammo, you might have weakened the extractor spring. If it checks out loose, replace it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts