HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there were any changes or upgrades made to the SP89 throughout the five years it was produced?

Thanx.
SAMMY!

·
Registered
36 Posts
As far as I know, it was produced (or at least allowed for civvy sales) for a short while, and no changes were made during that time.

Looking forward to the responses from better-informed HK fans.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Does anyone know if there were any changes or upgrades made to the SP89 throughout the five years it was produced?

Thanx.
SAMMY!
The first 5 SP89s had notch sights, and then HK switched to the more familiar 90 series sights. The one prototype I have also has the notch sight. I am not aware of any other changes to the weapon, except HK supposedly sold a few semi PDW configurations that were transferrable (I think 18). Hope that helps.

·
Registered
376 Posts
SP89 upgrades

I have two HK SP89's one is a "KA" date code and the other is a "KD" date code SP89.

-The KA SP89 has a bump on the left side of the receiver for what I assume is a bump stop for the selector lever in the safe position. The KD SP89 doesn't have this feature.

-The KD SP89 the rear lower section of the receiver, where the push pin goes. there is a small piece of metal spot welded for support. The KA SP89 doesn't have this feature, just welded.

-The KD SP89 has the newer "Action 3 bolt head".

-The KA SP89 markings are different, "Made in W. Germany". The KD SP89 is marked just "Made in Germany".

These are the differences I can visually see, I haven't disassemble the bolt and remove the rollers to see if there are any other upgrades inside the bolt head.

Hope this information helps you out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts