HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick & basic question:

What is the actual differences in the SP89 and the SP5K ?

....is the receiver portion specs exactly the same?

Thanks.

·
Registered
838 Posts
One is 20 years old. One is not. Both have same dimensions minus (a guess) ambi-frame and handguard. As far as internals besides the bolt, I'm sure more knowledgeable guys can chime in here.

·
HK Shooting Team
2,871 Posts
Different shelves

Sp5k has auto bolt block and adapted carrier for block

Non sp5k trigger housings will not fit the sp5k

Sp5k is current and badass!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The SP89 uses the older metal lower trigger housing with separate plastic grip. The SP5K uses the latest generation all plastic lower trigger housing that has pictogram markings and more importantly ambi trigger pack and ambi selector. Those things alone add a lot of value to the SP5K as they are not cheap items.

As previously mentioned.

SP5K has a top shaved semi-auto bolt carrier with a nub on the inside of the receiver that blocks a non-shaved (i.e. FA) bolt carrier from being used. This can easily be defeated or the semi-auto bolt can be modified to support FA.

SP5K has a different shape semi-auto shelf on the magwel that uses a slightly different clipped lower trigger housing. Easy fix, or HKparts is coming out with SP5K specific trigger housings for the SP5K.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just got my sp5k for a wedding present from my fiancé two days ago. Love it!!!! Total surprise!

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
If you get an sp5k they don't come with the shoulder stock, correct? Is it legal to buy one and add it? Does it make any difference after you've bought it?

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
If you get an sp5k they don't come with the shoulder stock, correct? Is it legal to buy one and add it? Does it make any difference after you've bought it?
Stock SP5K is classified as a Pistol, legal. Add a Stock and now it becomes a SBR, not legal. (need a stamp)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I think I posted this picture in another thread, but you can see that the receivers are pretty much identical - The only difference (besides the shelf) that I see, is a protrusion on the SP5K receiver near the lower left corner of the rear receiver tab. I'm actually kind of curious as to why that's there...anyone know?

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
LRM19k-Good eye! I am interested also! If James from TT is online I bet he knows, if he don't chime in shortly I'll text him and report back-interesting!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Stock SP5K is classified as a Pistol, legal. Add a Stock and now it becomes a SBR, not legal. (need a stamp)
Not sure that is true. I have a Sig MPX and it came with a brace with a letter inserted that ATF considers it legal with conditions. I cannot shoot it from my shoulder or its a felony. If I shoot from my chest, cheek or hip it is all legal. Stupid I know.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts