HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SP89 in original configuration (no, not the target grip) will not fit in the new cases the SP5K comes in no matter how much I yelled at it. Not sure why, but I'm kind of annoyed by this. Just venting. Thanks for the safe space. Hugs to all. Everyone is a winner!

OK, here are pics (ignore the laser, when I originally did this it wasn't mounted and it doesn't affect fit):

Attempt 1: Front in, top in, back in but grip doesn't fit. It's offset to the left.

notice the front guard fits and the laser actually fits, with the top of it sticking forward of the foam, but allowing a good fit. The part of the handguard that drops down (to keep you from sliding your hand forward of the barrel) pushes down on the foam below it. Not a great fit, but it works.

In this pic, you will notice that not only is the grip offset, but the magazine is slightly offset to the left too adversely affecting fit.

Attempt 2: In this pic you can see I got the grip into place. The problem is that (tough to tell in this pic) the upper portion of the gun (where the sights are) is canted upwards away from the bottom of the case. Also you can see the foregrip sticks out too far to fit in the cutout.

Attempt 3: In this picture the grip is in place and the rear of the upper (where the rear sight is located) are laying flat and flush in the cutout. However to achieve this the entire gun has to be canted upwards. You can see the magazine, front sight and foregrip do not fit at all.

Attempt 4: In this pic, the top of the gun is fit into the cutout, but that cants the lower half upwards and to the left

In subsequent posts you will see comments about the sights being an issue. I did not experience any problem with the sights causing fit issues. Also, surprisingly, when the gun is placed so that the forgrip fits properly, the laser actually fits nicely as well. Unfortunately the rest of the gun doesn't fit.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
no way...mine did with no modifications to the case whatsoever. maybe you didn't yell loud it enough:)
Roger that. I purchased a Sp5k factory case and my HK SP-89 fits. However, with one of my sears installed, I do have to remove the k-grip. Other than that the gun fits perfect with my Fleming Firearms folding stock.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I changed the rear sight to an Mp5/Mp5k-PDW unit (with the apertures rather than the U Notches), my SP5K case fit less well. What sight is on your SP89?

·
Banned
2,002 Posts
When I changed the rear sight to an Mp5/Mp5k-PDW unit (with the apertures rather than the U Notches), my SP5K case fit less well. What sight is on your SP89?
Can we see some pictures? Just want to see how it looks as I was going to grab one also!!

·
Priest of the P7
5,037 Posts
The solution to this problem is to buy a SP5K that does fit in the case ;)

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I'm guessing the SP89 foregrip/barrel shroud is the issue. Dismount that and it should drop right in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No pictures at the moment, but the peep type sight seems to be about 1/4" taller overall than the castle type. It snags the foam where the relief cut for the rear sight is unless it goes in top first.

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I added pictures to the original post. Take a look. I had no issues with sights being a problem. Sights are original to the gun.

Also, for those commenting on dismounting the foregrip, it might help get this to work, but then I have to carry the foregrip separately (or replace the sling with the foregrip) and who wants to constantly mount and dismount that thing. It's kind of a pain.

If you got your SP89 to fit, please post pics. There might be some variation in the cutout templates for these...

·
Registered
332 Posts
you could trace the weapon with a fine point sharpie, take a small straight edge, carpet layers razor (tape one end to make handle, EXTREMELY SHARP) and modify attempt #2 . looks like you could modify behind the grip and mag (mag can also be used as a pattern) take the scrap pieces and laminate on the other side . 1st) put a piece of tape for depth gauge and cut, 2nd) lay razor flat on bottom and slowly remove .

just trying to help you out @omega21, just paying it forward. thank you for your help .

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
The metal frame housing and polymer have different grip angles
This ^^^^ I noticed this immediately upon viewing your pics. The grip angle on your lower housing appears to be significantly different from others (polymer) lower housings I am familiar with.

·
I Bleed Urban Gray
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The metal frame housing and polymer have different grip angles

This ^^^^ I noticed this immediately upon viewing your pics. The grip angle on your lower housing appears to be significantly different from others (polymer) lower housings I am familiar with.
@Socalmp5 and @LCSO264 - you are right. The grip angle is different on the SP89 which has a metal housing. That is precisely the issue.

just trying to help you out @omega21, just paying it forward. thank you for your help .
@OlDirtyBastard - thanks Lightfighter! I WILL be sending you my ER bill!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts