HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a PTR91 GI from CDNN, and it should show up to my FFL tomorrow or Friday. In the meantime, I've started thinking about purchasing some spare parts and accessories for it. I checked out RTG parts and am looking to purchase a spare complete bolt assembly made by a military contractor. I'm assuming any of these would work as long as the bolt gap checked out? HK G3 Bolt Assembly Complete, HK91 Bolt Assembly Complete, G3 Full Auto Bolt Assembly for HK91 PTR91 SAR3/8, RTG Gun Parts Also, what's the deal with the H&K heavy bolt assembly with the tungsten inserts. Would the heavy bolt carrier be a drop in?

The plan is to run the rifle for the first year or so and to keep an eye on the bolt gap and check for any trunion cracking. After that, I'd like to replace the US made bolt assembly with a FMP, POF, EBO, or H&K unit.

Other than that, I'm new here. Love the site. Been trying to soak up as much info as I can. I've had a CIA CETME trainwreck for the past 7 years, and hope to unload it if this GI checks out ok.

·
Premium Member
2,598 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Yes, the HK carrier would drop in and work perfectly. Yes, any quality bolt group will drop in and run fine if the bolt gap is in spec. For what it's worth, PTR now has a lifetime warranty on those componets and it's retroactive. If it works fine I'd just keep your spare for, well, for a spare.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I checked out RTG parts and am looking to purchase a spare complete bolt assembly made by a military contractor. I'm assuming any of these would work as long as the bolt gap checked out? HK G3 Bolt Assembly Complete, HK91 Bolt Assembly Complete, G3 Full Auto Bolt Assembly for HK91 PTR91 SAR3/8, RTG Gun Parts Also, what's the deal with the H&K heavy bolt assembly with the tungsten inserts. Would the heavy bolt carrier be a drop in?
While the tungsten filled carrier would be a drop in, unless you plan to use the gun with a full auto sear pack, it would not have any advantage over the normal set RTG sells. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. There will be no full auto pack on this one, so maybe the weighted carrier would be overkill. However, I see that they list the heavier carrier as semi auto? The only reason I was looking at that was because it's true H&K parts, whereas the others are contract. I'm gonna wait to see what I get with the GI before I order anything, but I'm assuming it's gonna be full of US parts. Who knows, maybe PTR got their manufacturing process straightened out enough that they have the confidence to fully warranty them now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I figure I'll end up buying a RTG "survival pack" for SHTF spares, and unless I really need to buy a separate BCG to make running a suppressor more convenient, I think that will probably suffice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With PTR-91's full warranty, I just got a big bungh of magszines from CTD. ALL were brand new still in the wrap. I got new a bayonet from Numrich, then I got the fitting or adapter and a low profile rail from RTG.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A solid warranty is a good thing... but I am loathe to hand over a firearm to a shipping company for ANY reason short of total failure. If a parts swap is all that is required, I'll do it myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I picked up the rifle today. The serial number falls into the GI09** range, so hopefully that means this one has got the trunnion issues worked out. I'm out sick for the rest of the day so I'll break it down this weekend to see what's inside.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. There will be no full auto pack on this one, so maybe the weighted carrier would be overkill. However, I see that they list the heavier carrier as semi auto? The only reason I was looking at that was because it's true H&K parts, whereas the others are contract.
in my opinion, contract parts are just as good as HK marked parts. Some people will pay more for HK marked parts, as they feel they are better, or just for bragging rights. As for factory semi heavy carriers, all carriers start life as full auto, & a slot is cut into the carrier making it semi auto. This slot prevents the full auto disconnect lever from working. So these carriers started off life as full auto carriers, & don't offer any advantages in a semi gun. As for PTR's new warranty, it's not that they believe their parts are so good, but it's the bad rap they have been getting with the US bolts on all the forums. They had to do something to promote sales. When GM was having a bad year selling cars, they increased the factory warranty from 2 years to 5, & sales took off. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just thought I'd update the thread. Finally got around to pulling the rifle apart this weekend. It appears to have a US made bolt carrier as well as a PTR made bolt dated 10/09. From what I've been reading on the forums, the date on the bolt coincides with the date range of problematic bolts from PTR. I figure I'll shoot the hell out of it for awhile and keep on eye on the bolt and the trunnion. If there's any issues, I can take PTR up on their warranty. I'll order up a contract bolt assembly in the meantime just because.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I've slowly been buying packs of mags from RTG (and CDNN when they had great mag deals) as well as spare parts every time.. eventually I will have a full set of German or contract spares for each HK as well as many spare springs, pins and rollers

I have a PTR heavy barrel and plan on a GI as well, because my HK 91 is a safe queen, being reserved for the zombie apocalypse

Wish they would make HK93 clones but I am buying the parts for a ghillie build instead of waiting for the unlikely

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Niteowl, I was thinking of picking up a PTR91 GI also. How do you like yours so far? Atlantic Firearms has them for $899 right now. Any chance you could post up some pictures of yours? Thanks in advance.
I have one. I like it. If you search my handle, you can see my posts about my likes & dislikes (sorry I can't type a bunch right now).

I replaced my stock with an A3 Para, had Bill Springfield do a buffer & trigger job (not necessary, but nice) and bought some +2 rollers. Also opened up the oval holes on the PTR-GI fiberglass fore-end just to get more air flow. But that's about it. I love mine. Call her "Erma".

·
Registered
571 Posts
in my opinion you should start out by buying the following spare parts as contract or HK parts:
1.bolt head
2.locking pieces
3.a couple sets of "+" size rollers
4.a hammer, trigger and sear
5. metal lower
6. handguard

i think these are the parts most prone to premature wear or breakage, in my opinion or experience

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Niteowl, I was thinking of picking up a PTR91 GI also. How do you like yours so far? Atlantic Firearms has them for $899 right now. Any chance you could post up some pictures of yours? Thanks in advance.

Can't comment on it too much as I've only run about 40 rounds of Portuguese surplus through it. It functioned just fine. Bolt gap checks out at 0.014 for now. I bought mine through CDNN for $899. I waited until they advertised free shipping for the weekend, and ordered it up one Saturday.
Only have the one picture. This is fresh out of the box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's an update on my bolt gap on this particular rifle. I shot another 20 rds. of Lithuanian and 40 rds. of Port through it yesterday. The bolt gap shrunk from .014 to .012 in only 60 rds. Trunnion still looks good. I guess I'll keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
in my opinion you should start out by buying the following spare parts as contract or HK parts:
1.bolt head
2.locking pieces
3.a couple sets of "+" size rollers
4.a hammer, trigger and sear
5. metal lower
6. handguard

i think these are the parts most prone to premature wear or breakage, in my opinion or experience
I would add a firing pin, full spring set and the stock pins at minimum

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here's an update on my bolt gap on this particular rifle. I shot another 20 rds. of Lithuanian and 40 rds. of Port through it yesterday. The bolt gap shrunk from .014 to .012 in only 60 rds. Trunnion still looks good. I guess I'll keep an eye on it.
May need to settle in just a bit. If there is something really wrong a lot of hand cycling may show it as well if you want to try it, but i'm not sure if repeatedly dropping the bolt on an empty chamber is a no-no for these rifles. Anyone know?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts