HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would that round be okay for a carry round in my P30L? I know the bullet is designed for short barrels, but would there be any performance issues in a longer barrel?

·
Registered
207 Posts
My guess would be that a bullet designed to expand at the lower velocities attained in short-barreled pistols might over-expand at higher velocities which, in turn, could adversely affect penetration depths. I can't think of a good reason not to use regular ammo in pistols with normal length barrels.

A good, general rule to follow is to "use the right tool for the job."

·
Registered
60 Posts
I carry the short barrel GD in my p2000sk and EMP 9mm. The standard in my other pistols. I had feeding issues with my emp with the standard so stocked up on the short barrel. Id use the standard with the P30

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
The P30L is still a "short" barrel with it's 4.45". ;)
The Gold Dot are a good choice for CCW.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
My guess would be that a bullet designed to expand at the lower velocities attained in short-barreled pistols might over-expand at higher velocities which, in turn, could adversely affect penetration depths. I can't think of a good reason not to use regular ammo in pistols with normal length barrels.

A good, general rule to follow is to "use the right tool for the job."
+1
The Speer GDHP short barrel rounds are outstanding for what they are specifically developed for.
The 9mm GDHP Short Barrel bullet is designed for a 3.5" barrel.
Most ammo is produced for a standard 4.0" barrel (except .45 where 5.0" is considered standard).
You may be fine, but why risk early expansion and reduced penetration by running a short barrel round in a long slide?
Guess I don't understand why you want to use this round in your gun.
You should have great performance, with a little velocity boost, using regular GDHP ammo in your extended barrel.
Plus the short barrel ammo can only be purchased in the small boxes.
Where the standard GDHP Duty ammo can be had in box of 50 for not much more money.

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Iff you go to Ballistics by the Inch you can get data for various calibers. Their 9mm page is BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: 9mm Luger Results If you click on the "Click here for a Muzzle Energy graph" link at the top of the table, you'll see that the 124gr Gold Dots have 'way more energy from a 5" barrel than from a 3" barrel. Overall, they score just below several +P loads. Fire away.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Oh, its just stuff I had lying around and I didn't want to spend the extra cash if I didn't have to.
In that case load up my friend.
I'm sure it's fine.
Easy to split hairs on ammo and ballistics.
Truth is the Speer GDHP Short Barrel is a high tech round.
Bonded with low flash, fast burn, gunpowder.
It's better than anything that was available not so many years ago - IMHO.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Gold Dots are an excellent self defense load..in fact I even handload them for backup emergency ammo. Just loaded 1K of 40 GDs. But make sure your pistol feeds them 110% by shooting at leaast 100 rds of them thru it

·
Registered
818 Posts
124 gr. +P Gold Dot is my preferred 9mm SD round. It's very accurate and reliable in all my pistols.

Many months ago, I picked up several 20 rd. boxes of the short barrel Gold Dot and ran them through my P2000 SK. My groups were absolutely terrible with this ammo. Twice their normal size.

I had two other capable shooters try the SK with the short barrel Gold Dot and their results were the same. Awful groups.

I can't explain the difference, except to postulate that my P2000 SK just didn't like the Short Barrel Gold Dot, although it's a tack driver with everything else I've put through it. :26:

I'm sticking with regular Gold Dot ammo.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Most SD shoots are measured in feet rather than yards but it's always nice to have accurate

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just bought a 50 round box of regular 124 grain Gold Dots to fill my 3 magazines for my P30. Better to not even bother taking a chance.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I think when they say short barrel they are just more or less saying that the ammo will reliably expand at the velocities associated with a sub 4" barrel. You'll be fine. 124's are my choice as well with 9mm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts