HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been out of the HK game a while but have come back and will be using my USP 45c for CCW. I put the LEM in years ago and cant recall the spring weights I used. I need some help so that I can order spare parts etc and understand what springs I might have used.

I know I dont have the square TRS so I am not sure if its the standard or light LEM TRS that I used. For the HS there are 2 that came in the LEM kit but I am not sure which I used. Both the TRS and HS in the gun seem to have some black paint on them that is flaking off a bit. Maybe that will narrow this down.

If you guys can help me out with what the popular combos were I will be able to recall what these springs were. I know you guys had your favorite combos of these parts but I dont remember what they are.

Also for the RS is it easy to change one of those out? I was going to get a spare RS but I remember there being something hard about doing it. The odd thing is the parts diagram shows a spring ring ahead of the retainer but mine doesnt seem to have that. On the LEM diagrams for the same gun it doesnt show this part so maybe its not on all recoil spring assemblies? This gun only has I think 2k rounds in it and wont see a lot of use so I doubt I will be needing spring changes soon but thought I should have them.

What sparked all this was I did a detail cleaning of the slide and a darn FPBS went flying and I spent for ever finding it. I want to have some spares on hand and cant decide what to get. Maybe a list to help me out would be nice. Things like the flat spring etc I am not sure I need but other parts like the cocking piece spring seem to be a wearable item that might be good to have.

Also what is the opinion regarding the extended mag release? I was going to put one of those in to see if it makes the reach a bit easier on my fingers.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
The original TRS has almost the same trigger pull weight as the light TRS. So if you don't have the standard (heavy) TRS, I'd say get the light TRS for spare parts.

The LEM kit comes with 2 hammer springs. One for the HK45/USP/USPc series, and the other (shorter) is for the HK45c. Take out the one in your USPc .45 and compare with the other hammer spring (if you still have it). Chances are you're using the longer spring. You would have had occasional light strikes had you been using the shorter spring.

The extended mag release is a must-have, imho. It is a definitive upgrade and worth every penny.

Another thing. Call up HK Cust Svc and order the parts directly from them. They may or may not have the extended mag release in stock, but you'll be saving a ton of money ordering the parts directly from them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much.

Turns out I had the short MS in there. I took it out and put the longer one back in which I think was the stock spring. I had all the parts in a bad and cant recall what is what. This spring isnt painted and is longer so it must be stock. The trigger feels much better then before in DA. I know its a DAO but when the slide is racked it feels like a SAO and that trigger pull feels the same to me. I am going to leave the longer spring in but I wont have chance to function fire the gun after making this change. Is there any change in reliability making this spring change? If what you are saying is correct then I guess this would be a change for the better. I never did have light strikes but the longer spring makes more sense.

Is this the correct MS? Its for the full size so I am not sure if it will work for my USP 45 compact
HK Hammer Spring | HK Spring - HKPARTS.NET

This should be the correct one but its out of stock. I realize some parts are interchangeable like the FPBS for the full size is the same as the compact so I had to go to that page on this web site to find it.
HK USP Compact Hammer Spring - HKPARTS.NET

I may just call HK and ask them what I should have on hand and let them get me the correct parts. Do I just call the HK USA number?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out after researching here a bit more I have a crooked hammer. It always looked off to me but figured it wasnt a custom 1911 or anything so I didnt pay attention. I saw some pics members had posted before and after the replaced hammer and it seems mine needs to be replaced also.

I will call and ask for Travis tomorrow and hope they can exchange me a new hammer under warranty. Since I have to get that from HK I will also just order what ever spare parts they suggest from them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am more confused now. I called Travis and he sold me the LEM when he first came back to HK but that was some years ago. I dont have 2 springs in my kit so I must have the correct HS. I know you had said the shorter one is for the Hk45c and that is true but apparently the stock V1 spring is the longest then the USP LEM spring is shorter and the Hk45c LEM is even shorter then that. So according to Travis I must have the right spring but I think we both went nuts trying to recall what I was sold back in the day. I took some pics and sent them to him to be sure because this will be my CCW and I dont want any issues. The gun has always run fine so that much I can verify and am happy with.

As for the crooked hammer I am not sure what to look for so I took a pic for Travis as well. My hammer face has a nice wear mark in the finish right dead center on the mold line indicating its hitting the FP dead on. I guess thats a good thing but to me it sure seems shifted more to the left then the right.

As for replacement parts Travis talked me out of all of them. He said until 25k rounds nothing needs to be changed and since this is a CCW gun that isnt going to happen. If it did I would rotate it to a range gun and buy another dedicated to CCW. I may still do that but its not necessary yet. I guess I will just get the extended mag release and call it a day. I may still get a few other springs so if they go flying I dont waste 1 hour finding them. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts