HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reciently purchased a USPC .40 Stainless. I LOVE the gun, but when I rack the slide it makes a harsh squeek as if there is no lube on the slide spring. Does anyone have this problem? I keep the gun in excellent condition with fresh lube. The gun also has less than 500 rounds through it. Any ideas/suggestions?

·
Registered
188 Posts
No

Have the USPC and P2000Sk. I used Militec and placed the parts on the hot sun for 3 hours last August. Te slide in the oven at 130 degrees. Great stuff but expensive.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I reciently purchased a USPC .40 Stainless. I LOVE the gun, but when I rack the slide it makes a harsh squeek as if there is no lube on the slide spring. Does anyone have this problem? I keep the gun in excellent condition with fresh lube. The gun also has less than 500 rounds through it. Any ideas/suggestions?

Don't worry about that sound-it's normal.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not good!

I disagree that this condition is normal. I have 4 USPC's and none of them exhibit this problem. When I rack the slide on any of my guns, they just make that beautiful HK "I'm going to work now" sound.

It might be a good idea to have it looked at IMO. Of course, that and 2 bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

Good luck with it...

ARKAY

·
Registered
45 Posts
take the slide off as if you're field stripping, pull back on trigger gently and slowly - still making that racket? If so, main spring needs oil. Flip it upside down - look inside the mag opening drop a few drops of oil onto the main spring and let them soak in and down (which is actually up but your gun is upside down). Dry fire a few times, squeek gone.

This drove me insane - until I realized it was the mainspring. I swear I was about to dunk the whole gun into a barrel of oil to stop it!

Cheers.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help guys. I've isolated the "squeek" to the front washer on the slide spring. If I take the side spring off and depress it with my fingers it makes the same sound. I've oiled it liberaly and the noise improved, but on very slow racks it's still noticable. I just find it hard to believe that such a high quality gun would have this kind of problem. Thanks again, MIKE

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I'm ready to just send the gun in to HK so they can check it out. Really, it sounds like crap. This sound can't be normal, especially with as much lube as I have put on slide spring and gide rod. Quick racks sound fine slow ones just produce a "squeek" the entire way back. What do you guys think? Send it in? MIKE

·
Registered
89 Posts
So I'm ready to just send the gun in to HK so they can check it out. Really, it sounds like crap. This sound can't be normal, especially with as much lube as I have put on slide spring and gide rod. Quick racks sound fine slow ones just produce a "squeek" the entire way back. What do you guys think? Send it in? MIKE
I have the same sound. It's really messed up, I would describe it more as a "crunchy" sound. My pistol functions 100%, but the sound does drive me insane.
Give me a few minutes and I will try to put up a sound file so you can hear it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me see if this works:

http://www.zshare.net/download/4350058f0e87f1/

ETA:
Yeah it works. You just have to click "Skip This Ad" in the upper right hand corner when the full screen ad comes up. Please let me know if this is the same sound your pistol is making. I made a new thread with the download link in it so maybe we can get more people to check this out.
Burke, I really can't hear the noise in that clip. It sounds like you're racking the slide too fast to produce the sound. It only happens (with my USPc) during very slow racks. I'll try to make a vid of the problem. MIKE

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,256 Posts
assuming that this cured itself with use, how much use did it take? I have the same thing and no amount of CLP,Oil,Grease,WD40 &c has helped.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. I've isolated the "squeek" to the front washer on the slide spring. If I take the side spring off and depress it with my fingers it makes the same sound. I've oiled it liberaly and the noise improved, but on very slow racks it's still noticable. I just find it hard to believe that such a high quality gun would have this kind of problem. Thanks again, MIKE
Mike

Take out the guide rod, pull the spring down and see if you can get a small dab of grease on or behind the washer or c-clip...it might work since grease is heavier and will stay put. Small amount of grease on the front 1/2" of the guide rod itself wont hurt either.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
assuming that this cured itself with use, how much use did it take? I have the same thing and no amount of CLP,Oil,Grease,WD40 &c has helped.
My USP Compact 9mm and my USP Compact 45 both did that when they were new. I think it polished itself out within about 1,000 rounds or so. . . can't remember exactly. It will stop eventually. :)

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,256 Posts
My USP Compact 9mm and my USP Compact 45 both did that when they were new. I think it polished itself out within about 1,000 rounds or so. . . can't remember exactly. It will stop eventually. :)
Thanks Orfeo. I've spent four hours today trying to cure it, but I am now resigned to shooting the darn thing silent. Good to hear that it will self medicate, at the moment it sounds like I am chambering a small furry animal when I charge the slide. Ho hum.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Thanks Orfeo. I've spent four hours today trying to cure it, but I am now resigned to shooting the darn thing silent. Good to hear that it will self medicate, at the moment it sounds like I am chambering a small furry animal when I charge the slide. Ho hum.
I feel your pain ;)

The USP is built for the long haul. It is still a newborn and still wet behind the ears for at least the first few thousand rounds. After it wears-in, it will be like an old pair of Levi's.

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,256 Posts
I feel your pain ;)

The USP is built for the long haul. It is still a newborn and still wet behind the ears for at least the first few thousand rounds. After it wears-in, it will be like an old pair of Levi's.
Indeed, I just hope that I can find a few thousand rounds to feed it :53:
I will report back on the magic number once I get there :)

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Indeed, I just hope that I can find a few thousand rounds to feed it :53:
I will report back on the magic number once I get there :)
You strike me as a very patient, detail-oriented, and intelligent kind of guy. You might consider getting into reloading. I like it every bit as much as I do shooting. In fact, I also like shooting MUCH better than I did before I got into reloading. Nothing beats custom ammo made specifically for your particular pistol and purpose.

·
Leather & Lace Fiend
4,256 Posts
You strike me as a very patient, detail-oriented, and intelligent kind of guy. You might consider getting into reloading. I like it every bit as much as I do shooting. In fact, I also like shooting MUCH better than I did before I got into reloading. Nothing beats custom ammo made specifically for your particular pistol and purpose.
Yep, you have me pegged. I am actually reading Chevalier's ABC at the moment, and I have the offer of some instruction from a buddy at my local range. We are on our way :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts