HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the great desire for the P7? I've held one, saw many and in looking at several on Guns America they have a great range of prices from about $850-3500. That's quite a variation depending on model with the P7M10 and M13 being the most expensive. Some have heat shields and some don't. When is it necessary or desirable? Any particular model?

·
Registered
43 Posts
What's the great desire for the P7? I've held one, saw many and in looking at several on Guns America they have a great range of prices from about $850-3500. That's quite a variation depending on model with the P7M10 and M13 being the most expensive. Some have heat shields and some don't. When is it necessary or desirable? Any particular model?
I’m no expert by any means but the P7 PSP, M8, M10, M13 are all discontinued and the police trade in PSP’s have all dried up so the price is just going to keep rising. As far as the price differences that you speak of the M10’s and M13’s are the rarest of the bunch so the price reflects. Regarding the heat shields the M8 is an improved version of the PSP so the heat shield is probably a nice feature. I’ve never fired a M8, but I have a PSP and the frame above the trigger gets very hot after about 150 rounds.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Once you train and practice with a P7 you really begin to appreciate the "snap" the weapon has.... It has a solidness that is hard to describe.

I love my 1911..... But, if somebody said I could only have one pistol, my choice would be the P7.

That crap about it getting hot... Yea if you rapid fire 100 rounds through it... So what. After seeing all these guns with only "200" rounds fired, I doubt many shooters actually have experienced it first hand.

I average 150-200 rounds per week, sometimes even more. It gets a lil toasty by the last mag.... I like it tho... Like the smell if napalm in the morning.....

I am going to buy another P7 for parts. Damn shame they stopped making them and choose to build overpriced ARs instead....I still can't wrap my brain around that one.

P7... G11.... Insane innovation!

Sent from my iPhone 😡
(I'd rather be at the range trying to wear out my Not-LNIB gun collection.... Let's call it a BTS Beat To **** collection)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Once you train and practice with a P7 you really begin to appreciate the "snap" the weapon has.... It has a solidness that is hard to describe.

I love my 1911..... But, if somebody said I could only have one pistol, my choice would be the P7.

That crap about it getting hot... Yea if you rapid fire 100 rounds through it... So what. After seeing all these guns with only "200" rounds fired, I doubt many shooters actually have experienced it first hand.

I average 150-200 rounds per week, sometimes even more. It gets a lil toasty by the last mag.... I like it tho... Like the smell if napalm in the morning.....

I am going to buy another P7 for parts. Damn shame they stopped making them and choose to build overpriced ARs instead....I still can't wrap my brain around that one.

P7... G11.... Insane innovation!
What model?

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I first purchased mine in 1983 I shot competitively with it and (i dont recall ever referring to it as a PSP... It was simply a p7) I learned to do rapid mag changes with the heel release. Takes practice to get wicked fast

I have made an offer on a mint p7 m8. It will prolly be my fav once I get used to the US mag release on a P7.

It weird, the idea of a heel release on my 1911 makes me wanna puke.

Sent from my iPhone 😡
(I'd rather be at the range trying to wear out my Not-LNIB gun collection.... Let's call it a BTS Beat To **** collection)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Standard P7? Not the PSP or M8 or other?
We started calling P7's PSP once the M8 hit to differentiate between the two. A true PSP is the original variant the German police bought. Never will you see a P7 that calls itself a PSP but we still do it anyway.

Grip angle, beautiful trigger, recoil, great sights, outstanding accuracy, and the down right sexy factor just can't be beat. Are they heavy? In this century yes. Corrosion resistant? Um, no. Simple? The polar opposite. But somebody tell me that it isn't beautiful and down right fun to shoot.

Oh man, time to go shoot my M13. She calls to me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was just curious. I had heard the P7 (PSP) didn't have the heat shield that the others did. I only asked because he commented on it getting hot after so many rounds.

I, personally, think the P7 is an outstanding pistol.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The P7 series was HK's overly complicated, expensive, and wonderful design that competed in the early 1980s W. German police pistol trials. Among the mandatory design features were an 8 round 9mm magazine and the ability to fire the pistol simply by holding it in the hand and pulling the trigger. No external safeties or other dinguses to depress. Yep, the Germans wanted no part of that slide mounted safety/decocker on the P38/P1 pistol that continues to fascinate American buyers. :wink:

No single winner came out of the trials. The P5 (Walther), P6 (SIG), and P7 (HK) designs were approved for procurement and issue. The first two are conventional DA/SA pistols with a decocker (and no external safety) and of the three the P6 (SIG) was the overwhelming choice of W. German police buyers. Probably due to price.

The P7 has the next best trigger to a good M1911 once squeezed to cock. It was my small carry pistol for several years when the choices were basically a M1911 cocked-and-locked or a DA/SA pistol with the hard to manage first shot. I retired the P7 due to it becoming more of a collector pistol and the inability to find replacement parts at other than collector prices. Had HK continued to produce this pistol I'd probably still own it.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a chance some years ago to buy one of these from a friend of my brothers who was a little hard up for cash. I wasn't into "funny looking" 9mm's back then so decided against it...wish I had now(hindsight, of course). I'm wondering if you bought one today just how difficult it would be to find parts or even magazines.

·
2,832 Posts
ah.....I see the problem, you only held one, you didn't shoot one!!!

...maybe 10 years ago, I shot a buddies P7M8, ran 3 mags though....went and bought a consecutive #(new HK's are shipped like that) pair the next day and never looked back.....have all the models but the M7 :) and many of the same versions, I like the PSP/P7 or M8 the best. the M13's I shoot fine but my hand(and its large) doesn't like it. The M10....its really more a collector piece(even though I know a local cop that carries it for backup!!!) It shoots great but its heavy and sorta ungainy looking. Have not shot my new to me unfired K3

·
Registered
43 Posts
They sell the police refurbished P7 PSP 2 mags, box at Gatt Guns in Dundee Il for $599. I got mine there, best deal I have seen.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unless I misunderstood what I read, the PSP models have the European mag release at the base of the grip?

·
Registered
75 Posts
That is a sweet deal!

Sent from my iPhone 😡

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just get one. Doesn't matter which.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts