HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Stock looks absolutely correct.
Identical looking stocks have HK on recoil pad. I was under impression than HK never made thumbhole stocks for SR9 or other similar rifles. I though that EARLY sr9 rifles had a Bell and Carlson stock. With recoil pad marked Bell and Carlson not HK.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
I'm a little slow. Are there pics of the recoil pad?

I've read of a couple people who claim their early SR9s came with black stocks. The new SR9 Orion was advertised as coming with wood grain stocks. If it's true that some very early SR9s came with black stocks, it must have been some left over black stocks from the previous 911s. HK may have just thought about blowing out these black stocks rather that get stuck with them. HK never sold the thumbhole stocks separately (I asked back in the day). I believe (for what it's worth), the 911 black stocks were marked Bell and Carlson on the buttpad, while the typical black SR9 stocks were marked HK.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm a little slow. Are there pics of the recoil pad?

I've read of a couple people who claim their early SR9s came with black stocks. The new SR9 Orion was advertised as coming with wood grain stocks. If it's true that some very early SR9s came with black stocks, it must have been some left over black stocks from the previous 911s. HK may have just thought about blowing out these black stocks rather that get stuck with them. HK never sold the thumbhole stocks separately (I asked back in the day). I believe (for what it's worth), the 911 black stocks were marked Bell and Carlson on the buttpad, while the typical black SR9 stocks were marked HK.
Take a look at the Bell and Carlson stock . It does not look anything like a stock on that early SR9 in the GB link. Here is a pic of recoil pad. I don't believe Bell and Carlson made that stock. What do You think? Audio equipment Granite Metal

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
We just aren't communicating. It must be my fault. Let's take this in little steps. The gun in the link...where do you see the stamp on the buttpad?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We just aren't communicating. It must be my fault. Let's take this in little steps. The gun in the link...where do you see the stamp on the buttpad?
Ok.:) Cant see it in the listing. But the 2 pics I attached to my last post are from identical looking stock. Who made those? Bell Carlson stocks for SR9 look VERY different from the stock in the GB link . I guess my question is , WHO MADE those stocks like in the GB link? Since they don't look anything like B&C stocks and since to my understanding HK NEVER made thumbhole stocks for HK91 style rifles .

·
Unrepentant HKHolic
Ones that go Bang
5,191 Posts
Not positive but I think your communicating here with Paul M reincarnated he has that vibe, if its not him I will be the first to apologize to PM :biggrin: ...............

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Ok.:) Cant see it in the listing. But the 2 pics I attached to my last post are from identical looking stock. Who made those? Bell Carlson stocks for SR9 look VERY different from the stock in the GB link . I guess my question is , WHO MADE those stocks like in the GB link? Since they don't look anything like B&C stocks and since to my understanding HK NEVER made thumbhole stocks for HK91 style rifles .
What differences do you see between the B&C stock and the SR9 stock in the GB listing?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Here is the difference.

The first picture of the stock is the B&C which is used on the Springfield Armory SAR 8.

The 2nd picture is of the HK made stock which came on the SR9. The wood grain stocks. Which were never wood grain. There are a plastic stock covered in a synthetic covering made to look like wood. (i.e. dipped)

So 2 completely different rifles from two different manufactures.

But the are different only in the fact that they stocks are made by different companies.

HK is HK and Springfield Armory is EBO.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not to muddy the waters but..... there also appears to be another type of stock for the SR9. Page 235 of the HK History Book. :)

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Not to muddy the waters but..... there also appears to be another type of stock for the SR9. Page 235 of the HK History Book. :)
Being that not all of us have the HK history book. Post a picture of said stock.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Here is the difference.

The first picture of the stock is the B&C which is used on the Springfield Armory SAR 8.

The 2nd picture is of the HK made stock which came on the SR9. The wood grain stocks. Which were never wood grain. There are a plastic stock covered in a synthetic covering made to look like wood. (i.e. dipped)

So 2 completely different rifles from two different manufactures.

But the are different only in the fact that they stocks are made by different companies.

HK is HK and Springfield Armory is EBO.
Ok. The first picture is B&L stock with Bell and Carlson on recoil pad. I thought THAT was the stock for base SR9 (???)

The stock on the second photo has HK on the recoil pad. It looks exactly the same as the stock on early SR9 in GB link I shared. But I was under impression that HK NEVER MADE THUMBHOLE STOCKS for HK91 stile rifles (???) What I also like to know is a common configuration of EARLY SR9 rifles. Like under 200.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
History

The 1989 Import Ban, enacted by President George H. W. Bush, bans from importation all semi-automatic rifles with a folding or telescoping stock, separate pistol grip, bipod, ability to accept a bayonet, grenade launcher, night sights, or flash suppressor. The HK91, HK93 and HK94 models were all on the import ban list.[1] At the time of the ban, about 130 or so HK91s had already been delivered to the U.S. but had not yet cleared customs. H&K complied with the ban by renaming those HK91s as HK911 (basically stamping another "1" after the name) and adding a Bell-Carlson thumbhole stock. H&K was also required to put a spot weld over the end cap detent because the ATF considered the hole to be a bayonet lug. This prevented addition of the bayonet. The HK911 did have the standard HK91 threaded barrel but this was covered by a pinned thread hider/cover.

The HK911 eventually turned into the SR9 in 1990 which had the new 20-inch polygonal barrel. The first SR9s imported had wood grain stocks. The SR9 was also referred to as the "Orion." Soon, H&K switched to black stocks. Right after the black stock guns were brought in, H&K also included a standard 91 stock set along with the SR9 thumbhole mounted stock set.

HK SR9T Receiver.
Then the “T” and “TC” models got in, even though they had pistol grips. They got exempted as they were then thought of as target rifles of the currently allowed SR9 series. President Bill Clinton pulled the plug on the importation of all HK SR9s on April 6, 1998 because they could accept a standard capacity magazine.

There were a total of 125 TC’s. Initially 25 were made in response to requests for an SR9T with the PSG1 buttstock. H&K did not have these in their catalog. The next year, HK added the SR9TC to their catalog and imported 100 guns. They were marked "TC" in Virginia as were the SR9T’s. In 1989 the BATF had not determined what was considered acceptable as to what grips were fitted to the rifles by H&K USA the new rules were not set to be "in-force" until November 1990. For years, it was acceptable to reconfigure standard SR9 rifles to a T or TC configuration. T and TC rifles were probably not imported in that configuration and that is why the receivers are hand stamped and not finished. The stamping was done at H&K USA.

So the HK 911s have a B&C stock. But the SR9s and Orion's have a stock installed in Germany by HK. Manufactured by them or a third party in Germany.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
For years, it was acceptable to reconfigure standard SR9 rifles to a T or TC configuration.

I write something on HKPro and many years later it shows up as part of a Wikipedia entry. Except, not all of the added extra material is factually correct. It was never acceptable to reconfigure SR9s into T and TC configuration, unless that is, one did so illegally, or you added enough American parts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts