HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have a question regarding my SR9T. Purchased this new many, many years ago and would like to perform what I think is a simple modification to it. I would like to replace the original forearm with a modern one. By this I mean, a forearm with an integrated picatinny rail or compatible with one on the bottom to allow me to use my ATLAS bipod. My questions are:

1. I have looked at HK Parts.net and noticed that PTR makes some replacement parts for the HK91. There is no specific information about compatibility with the SR9T. None of them are offered with a picatinny rail either. Can anyone tell me if they are compatible with my SR9T and if it is possible to add a rail to the bottom? Are they good quality?

2. I know Spuhr also "supposedly" offers several G3 conversion parts. I am trying to find out if they are sold in the US. However, I don't know if the G3 forearm will be compatible with the SR9T. Can anyone tell me if they are?

3. Does anyone know another source for these parts?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Nik H

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
As far as I'm aware forearms for g3 and 91 will fit an sr9 style rifle. You can mount a Picatinny rail to any forearm, with a bit of craftsmanship. But just so we are clear, according to our big brother bipods make rifles do evil things, and by simply putting a pod on this rifle you will be breaking the law. This is my understanding. Good luck with project.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response.

I am at a loss to understand why putting a bipod on this rifle makes it illegal. I use bipods on my other "evil" rifles. Can you clarify? I certainly don't want to break any laws.

Best regards,

Nik H

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
It's an import thing. The import law was posted here on HKPro at one time. HK got rid of the tropical forearm with the 911 and SR9 for a reason, and Springfield Armory removed the bipod attachment from their tropical forearms.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK

I believe we are talking about the 922r laws? I also assume that since the SR9T was imported after 1989, it is subject to this law if I change any part of it. Even if all I am doing is adding a bipod?

Kind of ridiculous if you ask me since it is clearly a target rifle. I could see if the "T" version was never cleared for importation and I wanted to add all the goodies it comes with as standard. All I want to do is get away from carting a 15 lb rest to the range.

If anyone can let me know if I have the correct interpretation, I would certainly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Nik H

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed...parts count would be silly. Although this entire thing is silly. Laws are getting nutty.

I will continue investigating this matter.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Nik H

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Do a couple searches about sr9 and sr9t and after you read an afternoons worth you might come up with some answers to the same questions that was asked it the past. Congrats of the rifle. Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The tactical forearm that HK Parts sells for the 91 series fits great on my SR9, and should fit well on any "real" HK that is full sized 7.62 caliber, including the SR9T. With that forearm, you can add rails where ever you need them, including on the bottom for a bipod. That forearm is US made by PTR, but HK parts is the place to get it from. I actually also have the PTR made forearms on my HK91 and HK93 long guns, and my MP5 pistol clone, and like them a lot. Here is a link to the full size forearm:

HK Full Size HK G3 & HK 91 Tactical Forearm - HKPARTS.NET

I know there are various views on changes to SR9 type weapons, and different opinions on if an owner even needs to comply with 922r to make changes to an SR9. And I expect that your SR9T would be a different situation than my SR9, but for me, I decided to comply with 922r when I took the nearly useless thumbhole stock off of my SR9. I put a US made Magpul adjustable stock on, and opened it up in side enough to put in a heavy buffer. I put the US made PTR Forearm on. Because I wanted to run the German made PSG-1 trigger group, and wanted to keep the original German carrier and bold group, I went with US made Thermold plastic magazines when I think there is any chance I might need to be "official" on 922r. An additional alternative to keep the magazine area US made is the US made 50 round drum. I am probably paranoid meeting 922r, but all the changes I made were things I really like on my SR9 anyway, except being limited to the Thermold plastic magazines. But I do have a "host" for my real German HK metal magazines in the form of a real HK91, so I am all set.

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Hello All,

I have a question regarding my SR9T. Purchased this new many, many years ago and would like to perform what I think is a simple modification to it. I would like to replace the original forearm with a modern one. By this I mean, a forearm with an integrated picatinny rail or compatible with one on the bottom to allow me to use my ATLAS bipod. My questions are:

1. I have looked at HK Parts.net and noticed that PTR makes some replacement parts for the HK91. There is no specific information about compatibility with the SR9T. None of them are offered with a picatinny rail either. Can anyone tell me if they are compatible with my SR9T and if it is possible to add a rail to the bottom? Are they good quality?

2. I know Spuhr also "supposedly" offers several G3 conversion parts. I am trying to find out if they are sold in the US. However, I don't know if the G3 forearm will be compatible with the SR9T. Can anyone tell me if they are?

3. Does anyone know another source for these parts?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Nik H

Mile High Shooting in Denver stocks Sphur stuff. I would think the forearm uses the same dimensions as other 9x series guns as others have stated. I would think to make it otherwise would have cost the manufacture at HK in terms of manufacture more expensive. But I will leave the conversion and 922r aspects of your question to others more knowledgeable than I.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone.

Due to the legalities, I have decided to play it safe and convert my pre-ban HK91 versus the SR9T. In light of the cost differences between PTR and either B&T or Spuhr, I will be trying the PTR parts. I can buy the PTR forend with a bottom rail and top mount low rise scope rail for less than the cost of the B&T or Spuhr forend.

If I don't like them…well that is what eBay is designed to do.

Thanks again,

Nik H

1 - 12 of 12 Posts