HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since I see this for sale occasionally, I assume it's legal to own these armour piercing rounds ????

IS it legal to reload using said AP bullets ?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I think that is more dependent upon the state in which you live than anything else. They are not illegal under Federal law.

·
Registered
15 Posts
while they do offer slightly better penetration ability over M193, they are not
a true AP projectile..and do not meet BATF definition of what constitutes "AP"....compare its construction to a true AP projectile like .30-06
WW2 with the black painted bullet nose....steel penetrator core Vs tiny mild steel nosecone. SS109/M855 is just service ball.

·
Registered
57 Posts
All of that steel core ammo is readily available and legal. I have a ton of AP 50cal rounds along with some API rounds. I shoot those babies thru 11/2" steel plates. You can even find those high explosive "raufuss" rounds on gunbroker.com.

·
Registered
279 Posts
SS109vXM193

SS109 is the U.S. Military designation for 5.56mmX45mm NATO ammo with a 62g. bullet. This, and heavier ammo (70g, 77g, 78g, etc) are to be used in rifles with 1 in 7" or faster twist. The faster spin of 1:6" or 1:7" barrels is required to stabilize the heavier bullets. XM193 is the U.S. military designation for 5.56X45mm NATO ammo with a 55g. bullet. It is designed to be used in 5.56X45 NATO rifles with 1:12" twist. Neither are armour piercing. Being heavier the SS109 will have greater penetration. Neither of these rounds are .223 Remington. 5.56X45 NATO and .223 Remington ARE slightly different in chamber size and chamber pressure. The general rule is, if the gun is designed for 5.56mm X 45mm NATO,as the 90 series are, you can shoot 5.56 and .223; if it is designated .223, do not shoot 5.56 NATO in it. There is a good article with alot more detail in the September 2007 NRA "American Rifleman".

·
Registered
227 Posts
The 109 can be found at most gun shows. The price has jumped up substantially over the last year or so. Last fall it was $225.00 for 1000 rounds loosly packed in an ammo can. Mid summer show the same vendor was out but had been selling it for $390 a thousand rounds!

Can not say what other states are getting for it but it is not cheap.
By the way to answer the question of legality of the 109 round, I can not see why it would be illegal. If there is any state that has strict laws it is Mass and it was for sale here by the pallet full!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Bullet stabilization in regards to twist rates doesn't rely on weight. It relies on length. Length and weight are usually proportional but not always.

Longer length doesn't always mean heavier, especially with plastic tipped ammo, hollow points, etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
heh

The fine people in congress are working hard to turn our fine country into Nazi Germany. If there is a bill to ban ss190 to civilians (linked below), where will it stop? If someone here has a good answer Please step up. If that bill passes, kiss SS109 goodbye also... My 2 Cents.

http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.01784:

All of that steel core ammo is readily available and legal.
Get on gunbroker and search ss190 $10 bucks a round? WTH?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Bullet stabilization in regards to twist rates doesn't rely on weight. It relies on length. Length and weight are usually proportional but not always.

Longer length doesn't always mean heavier, especially with plastic tipped ammo, hollow points, etc.
Although the SS109 is only a 62 grain it has the lenght of a 70 grain bullet.
So Boomfab is correct in his comment.

Like you needed me to put my two cents in!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts