HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, saw this on GB

Rare Germany SSD PTR-44 7.92X33 / 8mm Kurz Rifle : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

This looks to be a sporterized STG-44. They are claiming it was made for PTR by SSD based off of receiver engraving. I wasnt aware that PTR made or imported anything that wasnt an HK clone. Looks like a brand new STG-44-its even chambered in 8mm Kurtz. Pricey but super cool-looks like they used original WWII design. Was wondering if there was any HK lineage here?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
That is indeed a real PTR and from what I understand will take actual STG internals.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That is indeed a real PTR and from what I understand will take actual STG internals.
The STG44 internals will need to be fitted by a competent Gunsmith. The Op-rod/ bolt on all of these were improperly heat treated causing parts to break apart, yes it happened to me.

My PTR44 had the defective parts replaced, running like a champ now. I don't think it's worth 9k, closer to 7K is more realistic. The Mags that came with the rifle were also defective.

·
Registered
217 Posts
There is a USA company making a facsimile although unfortunately the internals are all different and in trying to adapt it to multiple calibers the external look is getting away from the original. I think if they would have copied as closely the original as they could and just chambered it for the ruskie 7.62x39 they would have had a winner.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes they are real, I have one. Its a blast to shoot, by far one of my favorite.
In reading through the history on line and talking to a knowledgeable person in the know, there were major issues with some of these.
Cam surfaces on carriers cracking, corresponding surface on the bolt breaking, missing parts, soft metal, premature failures, etc.
I would recommend you get on the k98k forum (only place its really discussed since the g43 forum went away), and ask away there, because non-HK content here is going to be nuked anyway.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info and history guys-hansellhd2:that looks amazing. I dont know how Im gonna come up with $7-9k but I want!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
What a surprise...it didn't sell. Has been relisted at same price.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Pretty to look at but absolute Junk without lots of work and even more money upgrading it to and hand fitting original internal parts.

The German company who made it, SSD, also made replicas of other WWII firearms including the first model FG42. They weren't very good either. In fact, just the other day, I received the following from a guy in Canada:

"I have a German Sport System Deitrich BD42 Type 1 - the other 8mm semi available without paying the same price as another house!

I am glad you found the solution to no-fires and other misbehaviours. I have a 50% no-fire rate with several types of mil and civ ammo. But, I have not been as generous with the grease as you. So, with your lessons in mind, I will try lubricating the yoke, cam and interior bearing surfaces around the firing pin.

There is no after market service for my rifle. The company has gone cold and is off the internet. So, you are fortunate in having SMG on call for guidance."

When he refers to "SMG" in his message, he's talking about Smith Manufacturing Group, a company here in the USA who makes a replica of the second model FG42. I have had my fair share of problems with it as well but SMG has provided outstanding customer service in an effort to correct the headaches I've been experiencing. But that is another story and off topic here. This kind of stuff is why I generally steer away from commercially built firearms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts