HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It has been a long wait but well worth it.

I was planning on a real battle to remove the fake can but to my surprise 15 min into the project I had it off.

Thanks HKPRO for all your guidiance.

For other Coharie owners, spend the money on a RCM complete bolt head. Simply an amazing difference in how the gun runs. Spent brass dribbled out of it with original bolt head even after replacing with 223 extractor springs.
Now the brass is thrown 10 ft from the firing position and runs flawless.

Now I am waiting on a three lug adaptor for my Trident. When that arrives project will be complete.

Then on to the next project!

Lt Dan

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Congrats! You'll love it much more with the short barrel.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Congratulations. I very much agree with you on the RCM bolts. I was lucky enough to get in on the $89 stripped bolt special that Adam ran. I pulled the parts off the MIMS bolts, put them on the RCM bolts, and put them in my guns. What a difference in the smoothness of the action. Have you thought about getting a steel cocking tube support? I didn't like the springiness of the plastic one. Have you also thought of putting a 3-lug flash hider to cover the shiny 3-lug end? I was lucky enough to get a Gemtech 3-lug flash hider. The FH uses a 3-lug mount that Gemtech used in their earlier mount. It mounts as fast as a 3-lug can. Especially with the new style factory 3-lug FH, it can be difficult to remove the FH with the small lever used to lock and unlock the FH on the barrel. Again congratulations on the stamp. The gun is so much better to shoot without the extension on it.

Scott

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congratulations. I very much agree with you on the RCM bolts. I was lucky enough to get in on the $89 stripped bolt special that Adam ran. I pulled the parts off the MIMS bolts, put them on the RCM bolts, and put them in my guns. What a difference in the smoothness of the action. Have you thought about getting a steel cocking tube support? I didn't like the springiness of the plastic one. Have you also thought of putting a 3-lug flash hider to cover the shiny 3-lug end? I was lucky enough to get a Gemtech 3-lug flash hider. The FH uses a 3-lug mount that Gemtech used in their earlier mount. It mounts as fast as a 3-lug can. Especially with the new style factory 3-lug FH, it can be difficult to remove the FH with the small lever used to lock and unlock the FH on the barrel. Again congratulations on the stamp. The gun is so much better to shoot without the extension on it. Scott
Hi Scott,
I was able to get one of TB steel cocking tubes when he offered the upgrade, and yes the steel cocking tube made a big difference in the feel of the gun.
I am glad you brought up the FH. I am looking for suggestions for the shinny 3 lug and your FH idea may be the ticket.
I didn't know if I should try and blue it or leave it alone. Truth be told once I get the 3 lug for my trident it will pretty much live on the ca94. I love shooting suppressed weapons. This is just the beginning for me. I already have another sbr in the works.

YES, the gun shoots so much better with out the extension.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Dan,
Looks nice. It is good to see your project come along from the start. Use emery cloth or scotch brite pad to clean up your 3 lug. After that make a decision what you want to do with it.
Dj

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Great. Nice job and have fun with that beast. Looks nice.

·
1,200 Posts
NICE!!!

Congrats, Dad!

You opened up that fake suppressor like a can opener.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
If you really like shooting suppressed, I'd highly recommend a reverse stretch. I find a can on my converted 94 to be very muzzle heavy. I much prefer the A3 or even the A2 stocks of the full size receivers to the K side folder stock. So the K front end of the reverse stretch puts the weight of the can much closer to my body. I find it much easier to be steady shooting off hand with the can mounted on my reverse stretch than with a can on my full size converted 94.

I'm not sure you could cold blue the 3-lug end. I believe Todd uses stainless steel barrels in his guns. I don't think the cold bluing will work. I think they use some kind of black oxide process on the barrels. A flash hider will cover up most of the shiny end. Again congratulations on the stamp. I collected coins as a kid. Now I collect (tax) stamps. YMMV.

Scott

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone.
I am really excited to take it out for a drive at the local gun club.
As much time as I spend thier I have yet to see another MP5.
The CA94FS drew attention as a child now that it is all grown up it will be a real eye catcher.

I believe the 3 lug FH will be the way to go to cover the shinny 3 lug.

Yea CZ it was like pealing an orange.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lt Dan,

This might be slightly off topic, but my question is did you notice any significant weight change and or distribution of weight after you cut off the fake can? I ask because I too have a ca94fs (shout out to DJF, great guy to work with) and have seriously considered going the sbr route. I'm still debating bout ATF knowledge of my household but I digress; besides the obvious ascetic appeal, does it actually change the performance of the weapon?

Thank,
Vex

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lt Dan,

This might be slightly off topic, but my question is did you notice any significant weight change and or distribution of weight after you cut off the fake can? I ask because I too have a ca94fs (shout out to DJF, great guy to work with) and have seriously considered going the sbr route. I'm still debating bout ATF knowledge of my household but I digress; besides the obvious ascetic appeal, does it actually change the performance of the weapon?

Thank,
Vex
Yes, there is a big difference.
If you go back to the pics of the cut off can and look at the piece that is split in two you will see the thickness of the aluminum and it stays that thick the entire length of the can. I did not weigh it but it is substantial.
The other non measurable feeling is not having the useless length hanging out in front of the weapon.
I am not sure how to describe the feeling but it is a different animal.

In regards to ATF knowing you have a gun, they already know! (NICS).

Dan

·
Registered
367 Posts
Looks Great!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Lt Dan,

Thank,
Vex
As stated above, the solid aluminum fake can barrel extension not only adds weight, but almost doubles length of the barrel. If you increase the moment arm (length of a lever to pry with) by two, you increase the force required by four. So removing the fake suppressor would give your carbine a much more balanced feel. There is also the possible accuracy increase to consider. Not only would the gun be easier to keep on target off hand, there is also the turbulence of the propellant gas passing the bullet. Once the bullet leaves the barrel, it is still inside the fake can. When a bullet leaves the barrel, the propellant gas goes around it. If the crown of the barrel has damage isn't exactly even, gas escaping unevenly can push the bullet slightly and give it a wobble. This can happen to any barrel. With a barrel extension, this effect can be magnified. So removing the fake can barrel extension could greatly improve accuracy. How is the accuracy of your CA94?

As far as any "Imperial entanglements" this is a subject that is a little sore for me, because my opinion at of the loss of some national heritage. Getting an NFA item is very much a personal decision. I mean no offense. You certainly need to comfortable with whatever decision you make whether to have or not to have a NFA item. I've been competing in subgun matches nationally for six years. I've gotten to meet quite a few "Stamp Collectors" like myself. I have yet to actually meet anyone that had BATF&E agents come to their home for a "compliance check" for their NFA item. The BATF&E doesn't have the time or budget for that. Hell, there needs to be a serious felony for them to even be bothered. I have a story about receiving post ban high cap mags during the National AWB. If someone has an out of the blue compliance check story please post it.

What I meant by loss of some national heritage is I know of several instances where Grampa was a WW II veteran and has died. His family discovers, or knew about his war trophy (fill in the blank, MP40, MP-44, etc.) or duty weapon (Thompson, Grease Gun, etc.) and want to know what needs to be done so they can shoot it, sell it, or pass it on, but it was never registered. Since it wasn't registered during the '68 amnesty, it must be destroyed because it is an unregistered machinegun. Either that or they continue to hide and unregistered machinegun. It would be great to have something like the Firearm Heritage Act pass, but who knows if or when it ever would. For the vast majority of these veterans, they didn't register their guns because they didn't want the Government to know what they had or be "in their business". My understanding is that from 1945 to 1952, a veteran could register his war trophy for free. They didn't need to pay the $200 because of their service to our country. I think the old original guns are very cool. I'm lucky enough to own a REWATTed Savage built Thompson M1A1. I'm sorry for the rant, but if a SBR is something you want, my opinion is to get it and enjoy it. How many of these veterans held onto their war trophy but never shot it because they knew there would be trouble if it was found out that they had it. Good luck with whatever you plan to do with your CA94.

Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanx to all for responding. I have lived with the dream of owning a mp5 for so long, and when I bought my ca94fs I was ecstatic. But now the luster has worn off because the giant fake can hangs off the end of it. I wanted a subgun and I thinks its time to step into the NFA world. Thanx Dan for post I think ill follow your footsteps. And scott, as veteran of this era I certianly understand the loss of heritage. Trying to bring back anything takes an act of Congress it seems like. Again thanx everyone for help.

Vex

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks very nice.

I'm on month 2 of my ATF wait.

BTW... what kind of mount and optics are you using?
The mount is an MI (low)from HK parts.
The optic is a Primary Arms red dot ( aimpoint clone).
Clone on clone!
It holds zero just fine, my only complaint is you need to run it at the highest setting to see the dot in any daylight.
But what do you expect for 60 bucks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
. . . The optic is a Primary Arms red dot ( aimpoint clone). . .
It holds zero just fine, my only complaint is you need to run it at the highest setting to see the dot in any daylight.
Any plans to "upgrade" the optic?

Seems kind of counterintuitive to me; mounting a bargain grade optic on such a superlative firearm.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The mount is an MI (low)from HK parts.
The optic is a Primary Arms red dot ( aimpoint clone).
Clone on clone!
For $25 more you can get a Bushnell TR25. Same size but much higher quality with a smaller dot and it has 11 settings, 3-5 plenty in sunlight.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any plans to "upgrade" the optic?

Seems kind of counterintuitive to me; mounting a bargain grade optic on such a superlative firearm.
No plans at the moment.
I have one other weapon on order, once that is in my hands I will concentrate funds on upgraded optics.
If it was an "HK" firearm I would be more inclined to match quality with quality but it is a clone.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts