HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This comment was made about HK's over on a thread at www.defensivecarry.com:

"The HK's don't last much over a year on the gun rental ranges [ about 50K a year ]before they need repair. Only three makers guns that make it without breaking something, needing work or are dead in the water are CZ's, Rugers and Glocks ."

I'm not even remotely close to that many rounds through my USPc. Would other HK owners with long time experience like to weigh in here? I'd like your opinions to this statement, please.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This comment was made about HK's over on a thread at www.defensivecarry.com:

"The HK's don't last much over a year on the gun rental ranges [ about 50K a year ]before they need repair. Only three makers guns that make it without breaking something, needing work or are dead in the water are CZ's, Rugers and Glocks ."

I'm not even remotely close to that many rounds through my USPc. Would other HK owners with long time experience like to weigh in here? I'd like your opinions to this statement, please.
Sounds like BS to me. I can see how a USP would require some small part replacements after 50K, but I have a hard time believing that Glock, CZ and Ruger would need no work whatsoever.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Actually the CZ would give out long before the others. HK's and Sig's would outlast a CZ in small parts. I imagine that the CZ or Rugers would last longer because no one shoots them and everyone shoots the HK's, Sig's and other better pistols.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,393 Posts
CZ's dont come with serial numbers, they come with expiry dates. There is no way in hell that a CZ would last longer than a USP, especially in 9mm.
Good point.

Once at the range some guy offered to let me try his Ruger. I didn't care for it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've yet to see a properly maintained rental gun, Ive even seen issues with rental revolvers and those are known for reliability beyond any expectation. Comparing a gun that may as well have been taken out of the bargain bin to a gun that a person cares for and maintains it is just insane. My arm would fall off before I would be in a situation where I had to fire 50 thousand rounds without a single cleaning.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Quick question since we're talking rental guns, what are the common rules you guys have run into regarding the ammo used? Are you required to use the shops ammo or just factory only ammo?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quick question since we're talking rental guns, what are the common rules you guys have run into regarding the ammo used? Are you required to use the shops ammo or just factory only ammo?
I have not rented one, but I read my local ranges rules. They said, "You must use ammunition purchased from us in our rental guns"

·
Registered
149 Posts
If my HK pistols get anywhere near 50K without needing repairs, I will be
one very happy HK customer.

I'd settle for 25K!

The vast majority of people will never put more than a few thousand rounds
thru their guns, so that "rental range report" is worthless to the average
gun owner.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When is Greg Bell going to post his 2 cents here?

Hk's speak for themselves and I'd take one over a Ruger or Cz any day of the week.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Most if not all require you to buy ammo from them, mainly due to the fact that they make the majority of their money (rental wise) on ammo sales and not the actual rental of the weapon.

Also, how often are these guns cleaned and lubricated?
From the last few guns I've rented, almost never.

I've rented about 8 guns so far.

USP 9mm - stovepipe constantly

USP 45 - same issue

1911 - FTF, blamed on bad ammo but the next box wouldn't work either.

Full auto Thompson - FTF

Colt SMG - FTE

Some type of MP5K seared clone, definitely not an HK - FTF/FTE when it would fire, chamber seemed excessively worn and dirty.

Some type of .38 revolver, somthing in the trigger was broken, not exactly sure what, but needless to say, failure to do anything

The only rental gun i've used that worked 100% was a USC, and thats probably only because the guy put it on the shelf that day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most if not all require you to buy ammo from them, mainly due to the fact that they make the majority of their money (rental wise) on ammo sales and not the actual rental of the weapon.

I think the gun shops want to make sure you're using their rental gun with factory new ammo instead some exotic reloads.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of idiots tey to force the gun THEY like for whatever reason down someone else's throat.

:380: Maybe it ia a control issue because they got beat up alot in school or the girls didn't want anything to do with them.

·
Registered
329 Posts

I think the gun shops want to make sure you're using their rental gun with factory new ammo instead some exotic reloads.
It's a liability but it's also more of a profit issue, Putting 10 or so guns up for rental costs anywhere from 5-10 grand. Renting each gun even for $20 a piece recouping their loss on gun sales alone would never happen. Thats also why it's usually infinitely cheaper to buy ammo from somthing like walmart or online than it is as a gun store.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This guy is full of sh*t. We should pool money to find him, buy a plane ticket and send someone over to ring his doorbell, say "this is from the fatherland" and smack him with a really large brautwurst.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This guy is full of sh*t. We should pool money to find him, buy a plane ticket and send someone over to ring his doorbell, say "this is from the fatherland" and smack him with a really large brautwurst.
heh heh heh I volunteer!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I wont dispute that an HK would need some work at 50k rounds, but ANY brand would.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had a ruger P90DC, and it felt like it was built like a tank, however it was heavy and excessively bulky for it's capacity (7+1). I don't doubt that a ruger could last that long, however I don't think it's better than a HK (actually quite the opposite). It seemed like a simple design, so perhaps it had fewer parts to break... I think Ruger's make excellent 'plinkers', and I'd personally never give up my 10/22. And for the price, you can get alot more ammo to 'plink' with...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts