HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm getting me a USP Tactical .45. Why? No idea other than it is really cool... :) That, and I've been considering going ahead and getting a supressor of some kind and this gives me an excuse. :)

Anyhow, here's my question. Is there any reason I couldn't / shouldn't shoot a standard .45 barrel in the Tactical? I ask this for a couple of reasons. 1) I guess I'm a little paranoid about wearing out the o-rings and 2) I travel a lot for work and frequently to California. I typically take handguns with me to shoot out there and it's forbidden to have a threaded barrel.

So, there you have it. Right now I have plenty of flexibility with my standard USP and would like similar flexibility with my tactical.

Any and all input is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
yep, it is fine, I have done it before.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,854 Posts
Seriously,
Is o-ring wear a concern? Hk says that you can expect to get 20,000 rounds out of just one. You get 3 with the gun. Assuming that you shoot 100 rounds per week, that a little more than 11 and a half years before you even need to consider buying *1* replacement o-ring at about $5.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Cali is the big concern I think. I mean, you would want to take your "assault weapon" to CA, but swap the barrel and like magic *poof* it's just a pistol.

CRAZY, huh?

·
Registered
1 Posts
barrel

Barrel swap is no big deal. Drop in and shoot.

You will probably not wear out a properly lubricated O-Ring, however, they can be damaged. Take care when the barrel is removed and take caution regarding what solvents you use to clean barrels with O-Rings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually asked something similar a bit back about the Cal. issue, and my researching showed that even if you remove the threaded barrel it is still not on the their approved handgun list so you can't have it, but that is if you are planning to live in the state, I'm not sure about just traveling.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I actually asked something similar a bit back about the Cal. issue, and my researching showed that even if you remove the threaded barrel it is still not on the their approved handgun list so you can't have it, but that is if you are planning to live in the state, I'm not sure about just traveling.
From previously living in HELL:

you can take your USP tactical into California if the threaded barrel is removed. If you move to California you can even register the gun in California as long as it has a standard, non-threaded barrel.

I believe if you are staying over a certain amount of days it may be a problem, but I'm not a 100% positive.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a similar issue when I travel to various places. I just got a Jarvis USP o-ring barrel in the standard length (even though I own a Tactical).

It makes the weapon look just like the standard USP with the exception if the engraving on the slide. Thus eliminating the "evil assualt weapon" appearance, but maintaining the better performance of the o-ring barrel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So are threaded barrels more dangerous in California than regular barrels? Oh ya, I forgot, Liberals....policies don't have to make sense.

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I live in Az now but was born and raised in Cali and travel there frequently. At the time I was carrying a Tac for my CCW. I called the BATF to be sure that I was in Kalifornistan compliance and was told "do not" bring a Tac into the state. Even swapping barrels, it is still considered a Tac and not on the approved list. Yes, I did ask about just traveling on vacation and was told it could/would be up to the officers interpretation. If I were you I would call the BATF and maybe the Cali Highway Patrol and see what "their" interpretation is before I risk my Tac. Needless to say I bought a compact and 10 round mags for traveling to Cali. Good Luck

·
Registered
802 Posts
The DOJ has often given bad information especially over the phone. If you are just visiting, the only laws that apply are no assault weapons and no hicaps. Assault weapons are exempt if you are traveling to a shooting match.

The approved list only applies to sale/transfer of guns. You cannot travel or send into the state a non-approved gun to sell to someone.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Cali is the big concern I think. I mean, you would want to take your "assault weapon" to CA, but swap the barrel and like magic *poof* it's just a pistol.

CRAZY, huh?
Yes, that is the main concern...the traveling to CA. I spoke with the DOJ and asked them about several various weapons I own. As some of the posts here say, it is okay to bring in any weapon that's not on they're "approved" list as long as it's not an assault weapon (their version and listed explicitly).

So, it appears it is okay to bring in a tactical as long as there's no "evil" threaded barrel. I'm okay to bring anything as long as it's not there over 90 days. If you keep one there that long, it has to be registered. That's not an issue for me.

So, thanks for all the replies. It was a big help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm shopping around for a flush length o-ring barrel for my tactical for when I'm out and about.

Deciding between CCF and Jarvis as they're the only places I found selling what I want- Jarvis shows o-rings in their picture but doesn't explicitly state that they are included.

Since the price is about the same for each, does anyone have a preference?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Seriously,
Is o-ring wear a concern? Hk says that you can expect to get 20,000 rounds out of just one. You get 3 with the gun. Assuming that you shoot 100 rounds per week, that a little more than 11 and a half years before you even need to consider buying *1* replacement o-ring at about $5.
LOL, that about sums up what i was going to say.

ive got maybe 3000rds through my tactical, and the o-ring looks new if i wipe the carbon off it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts