HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carried my HK P7M8 the other day for the first time.

Honestly it's the best CCW pistol I have ever seen. Shootable, light, compact and flat. Not to mention the inherent safety of the squeeze cock system.

Holster was a cheapass Uncle Mike's OWB with a retaining strap I got when I bought the pistol as a package deal.

Seriously, if you guys carry you owe it to yourselves to get a P7. Yes it's an oddity that deserves it's place in your collection but it also is a pistol that fills a superb niche in today's glock/1911 dominated scene.

My next plan is to get a leather IWB for it just as I have for my 1911 and carry german steel from here on.

The P7 is the absolute greatest pistol American shooters don't know about!

·
Registered
407 Posts
the trigger reset is more ( as many on here can tell you) but the P is blowback and the cycle time is super fast, plus there hardly any muzzle rise since she sits so low in your hands ( low bore axis)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trigger reset is a little more than the 1911 just due to the hinged nature of the trigger vs. the sliding nature of the 1911 trigger.

The P7 is, hands down, the most shootable pistol I have ever seen.

The 9mm chambering and low bore axis make shot to shot recovery as fast or faster than the legendary (with damn good reason!) 1911.

The P7 swings faster due to shorter barrel.

I love my P7. :)

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
It's a real shame, that HK did not put the squeeze cooking idea into more modern designs.
In LE circles, it saved several lives, where the dump ass crook did not know how to get the gun shooting!
While the delayed blow back does not work for rounds stronger then the 9mm, it’s a genius idea!
Now the P2000 is about the same size then the P7.
I carry mine in .357 SIG, which is a much stronger round.
A perfect CCW gun and I still hit clay pigeons on 50 yards with it!
My idea gun would be a P30 with a squeeze cooking in .357 SIG.
That is not that hard HK engineering is it?

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I picked up a P7M8 several years ago for my CCW. Size, width and fire control made it the perfect candidate I thought. I hated carrying the P7.....waaaaay too heavy. Sold it for a nice profit and never looked back. Carry a Steyr M9-40 now.......much better fit for me.

As others have mentioned in this thread, if HK came out with a polymer framed "P7"........I'd be on it in a heart beat.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Dude, get that gun out of the $14 holster - I'm sure it's insulted.
LOL That's one of the great things about a P7M8, It's such a classy weapon, that you don't need a custom holster to show off to others. The weapon does it's own talking.... TJ

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll get a nice leather IWB eventually.

The uncle mike's works fine for right now, keeps scratches off the gun and keeps the gun on me and secure so as not to freak out the "guns are scary" crowd.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am really not sure how it fills a niche in the 1911/Glock world of today as you put it? I am once again looking to buy one (perhaps one of the custom 30-day wait hard chromes the guy on GB.com is selling) and I'd like to carry it but it will feel funny leaving the 13+1 .357SIG glock 32 at home and carrying only what, 8+1 of 9mm?

Glocks don't look it, but IIRC, the compact size glocks- the medium ones like the G19, G23, G32 like mine, etc. are smaller than the P7.

This came up last fall when I was looking. My friend pointed out his 9mm G19 was smaller in every dimension but the capacity was almost double.

Sure, you have the HK quality and engineering that the Glock doesn't have but then again I wouldn't mind banging my Glock around or putting it under the seat where it might slide around and against "unknown" surfaces.

I don't mean to start a Glock versus HK war...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wrong thing to say here. :)

Though shalt have no gun company before HK.

Personally, I HATE the glock "hemorrhoid speed bump" trigger.

Brought my P7M8 to work today. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like both. But my P7 shoots with greater accuracy much faster than my Glock. What it comes down to is: what is comfortable for YOU, and what shoots accurately in YOUR hands. IMHO

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh, I'm sure the P7 is more accurate and that's why I'm looking for one. But, the Glock is more than accurate enough for self defense- it's no IPSC 75 yard gun, that's for sure.

I was just saying, when you really look at the two together, the G19 versus the P7s, the HK isn't much smaller and has half the capacity and much more weight. If you don't need the capacity then it's a draw. If you want to carry an extra two mags, then the Glock would theoreticaly still have twice the capacity with two extra mags...

Just providing a little insight from someone who does own a Glock and would like to own a P7- I feel it's a little more open minded perhaps than a true P7 fan who doesn't want to consider a Glock, no offense meant at all.

So, this guy on Gunbroker selling P7s that are hardchromed with brushed or polished flats for $1075 and a 30 day wait- worth it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's a real shame, that HK did not put the squeeze cooking idea into more modern designs.
In LE circles, it saved several lives, where the dump ass crook did not know how to get the gun shooting!
While the delayed blow back does not work for rounds stronger then the 9mm, it’s a genius idea!
Now the P2000 is about the same size then the P7.
I carry mine in .357 SIG, which is a much stronger round.
A perfect CCW gun and I still hit clay pigeons on 50 yards with it!
My idea gun would be a P30 with a squeeze cooking in .357 SIG.
That is not that hard HK engineering is it?
I have had enough.... You are a joke in need of a good laugh. Please tell me you don't really own a firearm. There is a reason the squeeze cocker is not used any more, it was a bad idea. The design is counterintuitive to good trigger control. It weighs a ton and gets hot enough to fry eggs on after 3 shots. By the way save your "LE circles" stories for your Myspace page because they don't fly in this forum. Saved lives, please.

Good designs evolve and flourish, they don't have shelf life. I am sure someone will try and defend the pistol and you are welcome too, but be objective in your defense not subjective, as I was in my critique.

CAC01 signing off.....:670:

·
Registered
33 Posts
sometimes a good idea is too complex or expensive to catch on but your point is made...I really enjoy my P7...it is VERY quick on target and in to action as well as being supremely accurate (by that I mean very accurate and not better than anything I have ever seen...although it IS close...:D )...I don't buy all the "stories" but never have...I also don't rely on such (squeez cockers, magazine disconects in S&Ws etc.) things to save my bacon...lost of good and solid choices out there...
Bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had enough.... You are a joke in need of a good laugh. Please tell me you don't really own a firearm. There is a reason the squeeze cocker is not used any more, it was a bad idea. The design is counterintuitive to good trigger control. It weighs a ton and gets hot enough to fry eggs on after 3 shots. By the way save your "LE circles" stories for your Myspace page because they don't fly in this forum. Saved lives, please.

Good designs evolve and flourish, they don't have shelf life. I am sure someone will try and defend the pistol and you are welcome too, but be objective in your defense not subjective, as I was in my critique.

That deserves a +1

·
Registered
706 Posts

Weighs a ton and is hot enough to fry eggs on after 3 shots? riiiight...

·
Registered
239 Posts
F*ck heat. yea it gets hot, but how many rounds are you shooting at the guy? I carry my P7 in an Uncle Mikes in the pants, as well as a new Bladetech paddle. smooth and sexy!....no compromise. i use a Uncle mikes size #1. any other sizes used???

·
Registered
32 Posts
heat

After a couple of mags of double taps, mine gets scorching hot, but as long as I don't hold it against my face or arms, I do okay. I like and trust mine!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts