HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To me there is nothing worse than these "torture test" people. They take these beautiful high-quality, not to mention expensive, firearms and put them through absolute hell. While durability is a worthwhile thing to test, I believe it should be done by regular intended use and not extreme torture just for the hell of it. In my opinion, the only people who have a right to torture test a gun is the military, for they are the only ones who would ever encounter such extreme conditions and circumstances. The regular armed citizen has enough time to clean and care for his weapon properly, plus that I would never trust my life to something I intentionally tried to break.

This is just uncalled for and is simply appalling. :(
http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

This person soaked his Glock in salt water among other things and completely corrodid most of the parts. The pictures of the rusted internals made me want to slap this guy in the mouth. He also shot it with a .22 and dragged it behind a truck. People like this should not be allowed to own such fine firearms and should probably have there permit revoked for doing downright dangerous things. Why did he do it? Just to see if it would break. How pathetic.

Now if you really hate Glocks you may not care or even say "good", but thats not all. Furthurmore, this ignorant person took someone elses USP and poured sand in it too! He claims it was a "customer" (I assume this guy owns a shop, which frightens me to no end) asking to put 500rnds through a recently repaired USP compact to test it's function. No where does he state that he was given permission by the owner to pour sand in his gun, nevertheless he did so. If I got my pistol back from this guy's shop and there was tons of scratches and wear marks from pouring sand in it there would be hell to pay. If I saw a single scratch that wasn't there when I dropped it off he would be buying me a new pistol thats for god damn sure,, mainly because there is no way I could trust it after some wacko had his way with it. This all sounds like some jerk-offs fantasy because whos paying for the 500rnds hes supposedly going to fire, him or the customer? Hmmmmm, last time I checked ammunition wasn't free. Also, why couldn't the "customer" test his own pistol? This makes very little sense in addition to the unecessary abuse of both pistols.

In addition, most of these un-intelligent people fire the tortured gun by holding it. Virtually none of them use a ransom rest and fire it remotely. So not only are they destroying their guns for no reason but they put themselves in danger of them failing catastophically.

Please, STOP THE TORTURE! This is mindless and meaningless destruction of perfectly good working firearms. Be kind to your guns, clean and maintain them well. If you treat it well, it will repay you tenfold if you ever need to defend your life.

·
Registered
229 Posts
People for the Ethical Treatment of Firearms

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True you can do what you want with your own property, but taking someone elses gun and doing the same is what really got me heated.

Additionally, this does not excuse the fact that in my eyes this is very dangerous.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That article again. The USPc that was tested by Big Bore (not the one here) was asked to be tested. If a gun is worked on, it gets tested by the gunsmith that worked on it, not the customer. Example, you don't hand a customer a gun that you did a trigger job on, but didn't test fire it and ask the customer to go test fire it and if it goes full auto, bring it back.

In the world of firearms, these are not expensive firearms. An expensive firearm is a $80,000 Perazzi or even a $3000 custom built 1911. HK is just a run of the mill, production gun.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
To me there is nothing worse than these "torture test" people. They take these beautiful high-quality, not to mention expensive, firearms and put them through absolute hell. While durability is a worthwhile thing to test, I believe it should be done by regular intended use and not extreme torture just for the hell of it. In my opinion, the only people who have a right to torture test a gun is the military, for they are the only ones who would ever encounter such extreme conditions and circumstances. The regular armed citizen has enough time to clean and care for his weapon properly, plus that I would never trust my life to something I intentionally tried to break.

This is just uncalled for and is simply appauling. :(
http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item

This person soaked his Glock in salt water among other things and completely corrodid most of the parts. The pictures of the rusted internals made me want to slap this guy in the mouth. He also shot it with a .22 and dragged it behind a truck. People like this should not be allowed to own such fine firearms and should probably have there permit revoked for doing downright dangerous things. Why did he do it? Just to see if it would break. How pathetic.

Now if you really hate Glocks you may not care or even say "good", but thats not all. Furthurmore, this ignorant person took someone elses USP and poured sand in it too! He claims it was a "customer" (I assume this guy owns a shop, which frightens me to no end) asking to put 500rnds through a recently repaired USP compact to test it's function. No where does he state that he was given permission by the owner to pour sand in his gun, nevertheless he did so. If I got my pistol back from this guy's shop and there was tons of scratches and wear marks from pouring sand in it there would be hell to pay. If I saw a single scratch that wasn't there when I dropped it off he would be buying me a new pistol thats for god damn sure,, mainly because there is no way I could trust it after some wacko had his way with it. This all sounds like some jerk-offs fantasy because whos paying for the 500rnds hes supposedly going to fire, him or the customer? Hmmmmm, last time I checked ammunition wasn't free. Also, why couldn't the "customer" test his own pistol? This makes very little sense in addition to the unecessary abuse of both pistols.

In addition, most of these un-intelligent people fire the tortured gun by holding it. Virtually none of them use a ransom rest and fire it remotely. So not only are they destroying their guns for no reason but they put themselves in danger of them failing catastophically.

Please, STOP THE TORTURE! This is mindless and meaningless destruction of perfectly good working firearms. Be kind to your guns, clean and maintain them well. If you treat it well, it will repay you tenfold if you ever need to defend your life.
A few musings -
As for the customers UPS, he did say "After that we gave up, on the USP and took turns emptying the several full 21 mags." It is at least implied that the customer was present.

As for a permit being revoked, he's in Ohio, so unless you're talking about a CCW permit, he doesn't need a permit just to own and use a handgun like some of the less free states in the union.

It is his gun, he can do whatever he wants with it that is within the law.

But mainly, you can't really say its mindless and meaningless destruction. Firstly because he's put a lot of thought into ways to break it, and secondly, it doesn't appear he's even begun to destroy it.

I'm actually very surprised at how good it looked after all the abuse, it just looks worn, that's it. But as for the USP not firing after being dunked in a bucket of sand - that doesn't really bother me. I'm sure my P7 can do the same thing since it doesn't have an exposed hammer, but it's not a $400 Block either, so there's no way I'm doing that to it.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
He claims the work done on the USPc was done by HK and that the customer bought it to him to put 500rnds. through it. If what you are saying is true of all gunsmiths then HK must have fired it upon completion of the repairs. Meaning that it was ready for the customer to put however many rounds through it that he chose. I see no reason why he then took it to this guy to shoot and it baffles me more that he would consent to such abuse.

While HKs and Glocks may not be "expensive" per say, I know I personally don't have $1000 to throw away by destroying my HK. Not even $500 to waste doing the same to my Glock, and I know many people probably feel the same way. And why destroy it for that matter when that gun will run for the rest of your life if you just took care of it properly.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Alright, I might not go to that extreme, but seriously, come on people. These are combat weapons.

I had a crowd of gasps when I had my G-36/Sl-8 with my $1300 Nightforce scope and KAC forend and all lock up on me (bad round, not the guns fault). I smashed target down with but end of the rifle and threw it to the ground to transition to my side arm during training (oh the horror of hearing the rifle hit the ground). What the hell do you expect me to do. (yes this was unit training, not just competition training, I train to use these for real). When my scenario had 5 hostiles and I locked up on the 3rd target, well, no time to sling or set down, its an urban shootout where we got jumped. In real life its all about returning overwhelming fire power and advancing/getting to cover. People will always resort to their lowest level of training, so out here, when we have a failure we transition, even if that means to our damn pocket knife. Its how we train.

If my rifle, (alright, that's my fun toy, not my duty rifle, but still all but the same) cant take a beating, and my scope and its LaRue mounts cant take getting tossed to the ground, what the hell kind of a combat system is it.

These things are designed to take a beating, they are not race guns, the are not collector pieces. Now I do not abuse my guns like the link shows. But nor do I treat them like jewelry. I do not spend hours cleaning them, hell I go thousands of rounds before I ever even thing about pulling it apart. The front of my gun is so fouled it would make some of the members on this board cry... I also have enough faith in it to keep me safe at the end of the day, thats the point of a tactical battle weapon.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am all for durability. If you are forced to throw your gun to the ground, then do so. If you happen to drop it in the mud in a heated situation and need to fire it, then fire it. My problem lies with intentionally abusing the firearms to such a degree that you are trying to make it malfunction. Espescailly when that malfunction may be dangerous.

·
Registered
15 Posts

If someone is dumb enough to go out and buy a gun and ruin it just to prove it can take it... whatever... they can waste their money if they want to.

The "torture tests" on Guns and Ammo TV, however, make me puke in my mouth.

I don't know for certain, but my guess is that they're getting those things for free from the manufacturer and I CRINGE when they just destroy it instead of just giving it away to someone who deserves it, like me... :D

When they blew up that Springield M1A a few episodes ago I wanted to hurt somebody. :18:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
If someone is dumb enough to go out and buy a gun and ruin it just to prove it can take it... whatever... they can waste their money if they want to.

The "torture tests" on Guns and Ammo TV, however, make me puke in my mouth.

I don't know for certain, but my guess is that they're getting those things for free from the manufacturer and I CRINGE when they just destroy it instead of just giving it away to someone who deserves it, like me... :D

When they blew up that Springield M1A a few episodes ago I wanted to hurt somebody. :18:
I agree completely. Why systematically put a firearm through hell when it takes less than half the effort envolved to clean it and care for it? Waste of a gun, waste of money, waste of time, waste of effort.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is just a tool. But for a man who whipes the fingerprints off his gun everytime he touches it, it is a hard pill to swallow. :)

Like many of you, I have grown up with firearms and was taught to respect them. Doing so will never get you into trouble but doing the opposite very well might. Why risk it?

Is he allowed to do whatever he wants to his pistol, sure he can. Am I allowed to express my thoughts on this mistreatment (which he posted on the internet, a public domain) I sure am, take my views whichever way you please. Thank god we live in America where we can actually own guns and form our own individual thoughts and opinions on how they should be used.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I agree completely. Why systematically put a firearm through hell when it takes less than half the effort envolved to clean it and care for it? Waste of a gun, waste of money, waste of time, waste of effort.
Not my gun, not my money and unless it is yours I wouldn't worry much about it. I must admit I normally find them mildly amusing just to see what someone is doing to one this time. Don't see to much that hasn't been done numerous times though.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What line of work is that? I didn't get that one at all, sorry.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
One man's tool is another man's pride and joy.

Ok, so that sounds bad. But the same thing happens to all kinds of things- I'm sure Ferrari and Porsche run crash tests on their cars. Some people pay $30,000 or more for a pickup, and destroy it as a work truck in a year or two. People race (and crash) Vettes, Porsches, Ferraris, etc. all in the name of fun. Irreplaceable WWII fighter planes are crashed and destroyed all the time in air races or just simple routine flights.

These are off the shelf, mass produced handguns were talking about here, there's nothing rare about them. I think it's more of a tragedy to think of all the MP5s that get sliced to pieces for demill, but at least some of them get recycled into new ones.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts