HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am about to buy another HK45 and a P30L. I want to try out some new sights. I think the bladed sights work best for me, I shot my M9 pretty straight. So I want to try a set on an HK to see how it goes.

Which set?

Edit. Looking for feedback from users is where I am going with this.

·
Requiescat in Pace
2,395 Posts
On my HK45's and P30 I have straight-8's. But I have no experience with them over XS sights or XS sights in General. I will however say that I think the Straight-8's a huge improvement over the stock sights of the HK45/P30.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have recently been introduced to the straight 8 system with my Caracal model F pistol. It's an awesome sight system and i have actually considered changing my HK45 & P2000 to it. I find follow shots and double taps to be quite easy with the straight 8. Hope this helps your decision!!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I had the same question! I hear great things about heinie straight 8's but have friends that have XS big and standard dot sights and love them. XS has the "dot the I" concept which seems extremely easy, but the XS sights aren't as popular with tourny shooters since it has no rear blade sight. But have seen YouTube videos and are sill extremely accurate.

I'm still up in the air with what I'm getting. Hopefully some members have experience with the XS Big dot sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Straight 8's look like great sights. I've read of some having the dot on the rear sight slightly off center. Has anyone had that issue? I suppose it would be a simple thing to just send them back if that was the case, though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The Straight 8's look like great sights. I've read of some having the dot on the rear sight slightly off center. Has anyone had that issue? I suppose it would be a simple thing to just send them back if that was the case, though.
I've heard of this issue too. In one case the buyer got a replacement set that was also out of kilter.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmmm.......I like the Idea of the straight 8's better. But that Big dot seems like it would be pretty fast. My only concern is if I was off with either when I press out for some reason if it would take me longer to fix.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've heard of this issue too. In one case the buyer got a replacement set that was also out of kilter.
I know I'm going to want to replace the sights on the P30 I'm getting next week, and since it's primary use is home defense, I really need some good night sights on it. The Straight 8s are a top contender for me. I wonder if they just had a bad run, or if the rear dot being off center is a frequent problem. I would hate to have to deal with sending even one set back, but two is a really a bit much.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Straight 8's. The P30 that I bought had the XS big dot sights. I did not like the sights at all. They "may" be fast, but they take much more practice and time aiming than the straight 8's for accurate shot placement. Replaced the XS with the Straight 8's and for me it was a huge improvement in accuracy. I could just never get comfortable with the XS system on both pistols that I had them on.

My buddy who shot the P30 with the XS sights also commented on how he did not like them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the XS Big Dots on a CZ 2075 which is a really short barrel pistol and the Straight 8's on a P30. I know this is a very subjective comment but I would not have put the Big Dots on my P30. I do think the Big Dots are a decent sight system for something like a 2075 because something with such a sort barrel is a different kind of pistol in my view. I think they are just plain wrong for a P30. My Straight 8's are ....well....straight so I cannot offer you a comment with regard to them being off center.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would go with the Straight 8's. I had them installed on my HK45 and have been very impressed with them. I find myself getting on target faster with the straight 8's vs standard 3 dot sights. I did some night drills the other night on my range, mainly to try out my Surefire X300 I recently purchased for my HK45 and had no problems running the sights with the light activated. They provided a very clear sight picture, were very bright and easy to see. Here is pic of my HK45 below with the Straight 8's and X300.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The big dots are great if you have bad eyes and want to use the sights inside of 7 yards. The dot is too big to do any meaningful work past this distance IMO. I am not a fan of the 8's but I'd take them over the dots in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I like my Straight 8's but I wont put them on another pistol. They are more of a target sight and I'm in search for the fastest acquiring sights I can find. The best so far are Tirjicon HD's but they are not available for the HK's yet. I HATE the rear V on XS.

I wish there was a front sight I could use with the Hienies rear.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Straight 8's, those Big Dots are a gimmick (too big to be useful, unless you are legally blind).
Big dot yes. But they also have the "standard" dot. Guess its shooters preference. I plan on getting a can so Heinie 8's is what I narrowed it down to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have not done it myself but I do think that the guys that have painted the straight 8 front sight have found that an interesting alternative to just leaving the front sight stock. I have left mine stock so far However painting it is probably something worth considering.

I will not go back to a three dot system but the Trij HD's are probably one of those I would have liked to try for my HK.

·
Registered
410 Posts
they have the same vertical alignment concept, the straight-eight is fast enough IMHO, but still offers you a partidge with a discernable perfect sight picture. (i've only tried that with a taurus 1911, but its the same concept as a heinie i guess) for XS - just as fast, maybe a bit faster ---BUT --- even with the standard dot, precision is a problem. sure there would be some folks who will say that they could hit 6" plates at 18 yds. I was also able to. but you just can't pull the trigger with as much confidence with that shallow V and dot. it feels like a gamble. it's gonna put any HK's inherent accuracy to waste. i wouldn't bet on XS sights for something like a 50 yd suppressed head shot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a set of Big Dots on my G19 and would not put them on another gun like that. Simply too big for my expectations of precision, but they work as advertised. On a snub revolver or small auto maybe but I don't really like them, but they are ok in low light or darkness.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I had a set of XS Big Dots that came on a SIG P239 I owned.

I would 100% go for the Straight 8's simply to have a rear notch. I was not a fan of the rear sight on the XS sights.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts