HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I shot the my uncles P2K again. I am beggining to like it more and more, the gun shoots really straight once you get used to the LEM. The sights were also really nice and very precise (Tru-Glo's Tru-Dot). Most of my shots hit COM at 8 yards easily.

Aside from it being a great shooter I noticed something strange when I was cleaning it. There always seems to be little flecks of yellow "grit" inside the slide and along the fire control components in the rear. This is the third time I have shot the gun and everytime I notice this stuff re-appering after a day of shooting. Everytime I give it a good clean, and everytime it comes back.

It was my guess that the extractor might be a little aggressive and is perhaps tearing off a small amount of brass from around the rim of the casings and throwing it into the action. However, all 5 handguns that day were firing the same brand of ammo (HK USP, HK P2K, G23, G19, and G26) and none of this strange fouling was found in any other gun. Furthurmore, the 9mm P2K the G19 and G26 all were fed out of the exact same boxes, and again none of this stuff appeared in either of the Glocks and was only present in the P2K.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Keep in mind the gun didn't skip a beat and there also seems to be no evidence of scratch marks from the mystery material rubbing on the inside of the slide. Has anyone else expierienced similar things with their P2K?

·
Banned
366 Posts
Brass shavings. Perfectly normal. My HK P200 and my HK UMP both do it. Hell, you should see the .45's after they came out of the HK UMP. They have huge extractor marks on them and there is gold flakes on everything. That sucker extracts shells with some force lol.

My .40 caliber USP before I sold it did the same thing.

My GLOCKS don't.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hmm, I have a 9mm USP and haven't had any excessive "brass shaving" with it. My guess is that the extractor claw in your pistol is a bit too sharp and is removing material from the fired cases. I wouldn't worry about it if it's not affecting reliability. Over time, the claw will likely dull a bit which should eliminate or at least reduce the problem.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I think you are probably onto your problem. Like already stated I wouldn't worry about it too much. Unless you reload. That could cause some reason for alarm

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for confirming my thoughts. From what you guys are saying it looks like I thought right, the extractor must be very aggressive on this gun and is throwing some of the brass from the casings into the action. No, it is not effecting the weapons function, we had 0 failures of any kind, so I'm not going to worry too much. We are not shooting reloads, we used factory Winchester cheap FMJ from Walmart. Kind of a pain to clean, but really no big deal.

Thanks HKPRO!

·
Registered
2 Posts
...we used factory Winchester cheap FMJ from Walmart.
There's your problem! Switch to CCI/Speer and your problem goes away. Do it and report back.

If you think that's bad, shoot that stuff in a P7! It clogs the cylinder to the point that you can pour it out!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I'm guilty of being a little cheap, but ammo is so damn expensive! The P7 we had and shot never had this problem, and as I stated previously neither did my USP (USP was .40 same brand of ammo) or either of my Glocks all with the same ammo. But your right the P2k may just not like this ammo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts