HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Somebody posted asking about this the other day & I couldn't find the original post to reply to. I am really enjoying the TLR-2 Laser / Light combo on the HK45. It locks into the rail very easily and in exactly the right place, imo. Sighting it in was a breeze. Doesn't mess with my grip when firing the weapon although you 'weak hand index finger on front of trigger guard' guys may disagree.

It may look like the weaponlight is contacting the trigger guard but it isn't - that's the on / off switch (clockwise for momentary on & ccw for constant on). The little silver pin is the selector toggle for 'light only / laser only / both'.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Thanks for the pics. The TLR looks good on the HK45.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Is an adaptor required to mount the light/laser?

Is the body metal or polymer?

Do you know what the lumen output is?

Very clean looking set up.

·
Registered
50 Posts

no adaptor needed, the hk45 has the standard picatinny rail, lumen output is 80... i would assume its metal but im not sure on that one.

J

·
0 Posts
How much for the Hk 45? I have a USPc .40 with a GG&G adapter for my TL-1. I will be getting a TL-2 though:D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pictures really are worth 1,000 words...

As NBell states, it went on the HK45 (and my old Sig) straight out of the box; I think there are other base plates that fit other rail systems. The entire case is made of machined aluminum. The package states 80 Lumens. It's a 3W LED bulb and is damn near as bright as my SureFire L4. LED bulbs are almost indestructible & last for 100K Hrs & up. I wouldn't buy a weapon light that didn't have a LED bulb.

jg420, I paid $239.99 + shipping for the one I have but that was awhile back - I'm sure they have come down by now.

The laser looks like it's < 5 Milliwatts & is plenty bright enough. It spreads a little but I can easily see it 100 yds. away in darkness (off my neighbor's mailbox) and from maybe 20 - 30 feet in full sunlight. Batteries - hmmm, package states 2 1/2 Hr run time but the lumens fall off somewhat after about an hour running both the light & laser. Then again, I've only been through the originals & one set of batteries. Also, I use Sanyo CR123A's 'cause they work fine in my FL's & they're 1/2 the price of Surefire Batts. Soon as they start to dim I replace 'em.

See the pics below for installation:

The TLR has a raised indexing tab that has to line up with & fit into the foremost ladder groove of the HK's accessory rail.

But first you unscrew the retaining screw which is on a fairly tight spring. Note the position of the moveable rail clamp on the left.

Depress the screw and the moveable rail clamp on left moves too. This allows you to pivot the weapon light onto the rail. Make sure that raised portion is aligned with the ladder groove though. Tighten down the screw and it's on there nice & tight - zero play.

You can kind of see the nice fit here:

This shot shows the space between the front of the trigger guard & the back of the TLR. The TLR can be activated from either side to either constant on or for as long as you engage it depending on which way you rotate the tabs. The out of focus silver toggle lets you select either laser only, light only or both.

Oh yeah, you have to remember that with all laser sights, the laser 'dot' has to be sighted in. Very simple to do with the TLR but it originates 2" below the muzzle and there's only one distance that it's going to be sufficiently accurate. I have mine set for 25 feet & when you're shooting at 50' targets it's WAY off with laser 'climb' & bullet drop. I guess one could sight it in every time you change distances at the range but I just cut it off.

Holsters -well, the Streamlight folks say it works with existing weaponlight holsters but I really don't know. When I carry, it's a USP .45c with no light. The HK45 lives in a rug within easy reach at the house or in a safe.

Thanks all for the kind words - nice place y'all have here.

Regards,
ArchWind

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice review!

I have a TLR-2 on my USP40F with the GG&G mount. I decided to zero mine so that the bullet path is parallel to the laser so I don't have to think about what range for which the laser is zeroed vs. the range to target. I put the laser 2 inches below where I want to hit. I haven't figured out at what range the bullet drops into the laser's path yet...

Chase

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have two TLR-2's! One on my P2000 9mm and another on a USP 45.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Nice review and pics.

One thing I always liked about the TLR's is that it's quick and easy on and off gun, no tools or fumbling (hate that). The price is great and the lumen output is good, although I think there is a newest higher output version out. The aluminum body is a high preference with me as well...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nice. Very nice.

Where did you get the TLR-2? Is it the new 135 lumen model?

My wife's getting me one for Christmas so I need to tell her who to contact.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Anyone have a shot of the thing on pointing down a dark hallway?;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts