HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking of doing a G36 build. If I were go buy a kit from hkparts, would I be able to easily find a reciever somewhere or would I be stuck buying a complete SL-8?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yes, you'll need to buy an SL8. I saw one SL8 stripped upper receiver on GB at one point but it was 1200 IIRC.

Not to mention you'd need an sl8 bolt carrier (or have the g36 carrier modified) and most likely the FCG.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks guys. With the cost of the SL8, the parts needed, and labor I think I'm going to do a USC conversion instead.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you do a G36, you'll end up doing a UMP. If you do a UMP, you'll end up doing a G36. I believe that's how it goes.

Shop smart and know when a deal is a deal. Back then I only had the option to buy a grey SL8-1 so I had the extra step of dying parts, but I got that down pat. I did get my rifle for only $1K though. All together it was less then $1600- 1700 for the whole project (that included some trades). Then I was constantly checking GB for deals and scored a $350 SL8-1 receiver. So all my spares went into a long rifle build.

Now that some key parts like UMP mags are getting hard to come by, you might be spending a bit more than what it used to take to build one. I scored a local buy and got my USC for $1K and four mags for $100. Again, shop smart if you can. But know when a hard part to get is within your grasp. If you have money to burn, then you shouldn't have any problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts