HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is some debate between my friend and I as to the pronunciation of "UMP". For those in the know (no guesses please) can you please advise as to whether it is pronounced "YOU-EM-PEE" or "UHMP" (rhymes with dump). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
While were on the subject of oft-mispronounced words, how many here know that Leupold is a two-syllable word?

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I thought is was pronounced le-you-pold, rhymes with see you cold.
And now you know... the rest of the story. Everyone pronounces it either le-you-pold or le-uh-pold. But it's loo-pold.

I can't find it on their new website, but they used to have a "Pronounce Leupold" link much like the "How to pronounce Koch" link right here on HKPro.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
And you can really roll on the floor laughing at the way people pronounce VLTOR.
Even THEY pronounce it differently! I have called them and had it pronounced auhl-tor as well as vel-tor. Tom-A-to, tom-a-to, as long as the product works and their customer service is excellent they can call it anything they want!

I too have never heard UMP pronounced anything other than U-M-P.
What's next, the SL-8 being called "slate?"

·
Banned
366 Posts
Don't hold it against me but I'm a weekend Airsoft player. Ok moving on. I own an HK USC/UMP Conversion and G&G UMP Airsoft AEG.

I've heard it both ways BUT everyone I know in real gun circles calls it a U M P (you em pee), airsofters call them UMP's like UMPire etc.

As far as I can tell, UMP (rhymes with dump) is an airsoft term.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, but do you know how to correctly pronounce "Valmet"? :D
I just pronounced it val-met (rhymes with pal) when i got to go with a valmet 308 rpk. I dont know how to pronouce it, but that was a fun ride!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts