HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a handgun to carry with me on my early morning runs. I currently have an HK USPC but it's a little large for my intended purpose. So I want to add a sub compact to my collection. I'm looking at the P30SK and the P2000SK. I'd love to get them both, but they will need to be acquired one at a time. Just wanted to see if any of you might make a recommendation. Thank you in advance for your response.

·
Priest of the P7
5,037 Posts
I am looking to get a handgun to carry with me on my early morning runs. I currently have an HK USPC but it's a little large for my intended purpose. So I want to add a sub compact to my collection. I'm looking at the P30SK and the P2000SK. I'd love to get them both, but they will need to be acquired one at a time. Just wanted to see if any of you might make a recommendation. Thank you in advance for your response.
If it's the weight of the USPc that is cumbersome while running, either sk is unlikely to be much of an improvement. You might want a truly subcompact, single stack pocket gun type little cricket. Unfortunately, HK doesn't make one.

If you think one of the sk models will fit the bill, I would pick up whichever you can find cheaper. The differences are for the most part cosmetic.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Of the two I like the look of the P2000sk. As it is an evolution of the USP series you will likely find it has a very familiar feel.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I/we have two P30SK's due to the ergonomics of the grip (shape and replaceable side panels), and consistent manual of arms with my larger P30L.

Between the P30SK and the P2000SK, it's a matter of holding both and deciding which you prefer -- neither is inherently superior to the other.

As for running with an SK, it's not that much lighter than my USPc. An SK would fit better in a fanny pack, but that is about its only advantage.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I own both.
Both great guns.
It's really just personal preference which one you might like better.
You need to figure that out for yourself.
The good news is you really can't lose with either one.

Barth

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm not sure what method of carry you plan to use for running. If you're committed to it, either Sk pistol should work, and as previously stated, will shoot the same.

Personally, I choose a mouse gun, a Colt XSP. 14 oz fully loaded.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it's the weight of the USPc that is cumbersome while running, either sk is unlikely to be much of an improvement. You might want a truly subcompact, single stack pocket gun type little cricket. Unfortunately, HK doesn't make one.

If you think one of the sk models will fit the bill, I would pick up whichever you can find cheaper. The differences are for the most part cosmetic.
Kinda wish they did make a pocket gun. I would buy it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I don't run, but if I did it wouldn't be with an HK subcompact. Or maybe I would with two in ankle holsters doubling as ankle weights. Concealing that would be awkward in warm weather.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Folks I appreciate the input. I am sort of new to the hand gun side of shooting. Shotguns have been where I've spent most of my time. I know running with my tactical shotgun would keep the folks I don't want to mess with me away, however I doubt LE in my area would smile upon seeing me with one slung over my back.
I wasn't even thinking about the width of the gun prior to this post, but for sure the extra width of a double stack would be more difficult to conceal. I could always start running with a backpack and throw my USPC in it, but it would make getting at it a bit more difficult. I personally like the looks of the 2000Sk, and given what has been said about the similarities to the USP (which I freak'n love) I will definitely take a harder look at it. I will just look at other options for my run/carry gun.
Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
100 Posts
P30sk. A mouse gun in the pocket is nice, but you can always find a way to conceal an SK. 9+1 rounds of 40...yeah.
P30sk's are only available in 9mm. P2000sk's are available in either .40 or 9mm. Both are great pistols, but I prefer the looks and feel of the P2000sk. Own one in variant 2(9mm) as my EDC and carry OWB due to its width - definitely NOT a pocket gun...

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,860 Posts
Keep it HK folks...

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
P2000sk in 9mm. Great gun for concealment but then all my running is done on a treadmill. Guess you could stick it in a fanny pack.

·
Registered
48 Posts
P2000sk in 9mm. Great gun for concealment but then all my running is done on a treadmill. Guess you could stick it in a fanny pack.
The fanny pack is actually a pretty cool idea. Quick access with a simple pull downward. This one is especially small and discrete. Can be used for lefties or righties.
http://www.falcoholsters.com/stranka_data/moduly/eshop_1/c3c7e595a45e846b409021e74ecb751a.jpg

http://www.falcoholsters.com/stranka_data/moduly/eshop_1/f2ce5cda5b7141a2b12f921490f32554.jpg

http://www.falcoholsters.com/stranka_data/moduly/eshop_1/f5933d623de636a7dfd1e4ce368454ff.jpg

http://www.falcoholsters.com/eshop/...y-pack-with-concealed-gun-holster-it-523.html

·
Registered
467 Posts
What a hilarious paradigm. The P30sk doesn't come in 40? Come on, you make a 40, then mill a little off the slide for the 9mm. Honestly why not release them at the same time? Yes I was talking about my P2000sk. I am just trying to be supportive of those who want a P30 series pistol.

Other than at the beach, one should be able to tolerate a P2000sk or P30sk.

Yes, I do carry in a fanny pack occasionally.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm right there with you on the .40 cal. There are a lot of P30 and P30L owners who would like to see this happen.
With the relatively quick release of the VP40 following the VP9, I thought it would be a done deal. Doesn't look like it now, but I still am holding out hope for it.
C'mon HK! Lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts