HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I want to get a super accuate 20-22" bbl for my 11E clone
Something like a MSG90 profile, what would be the best way to accomplish this?
Could a MSG90 style bbl be machined down to fit, and then ad the handle & hardware?
Or am I simply barking up the wrong tree?

I wish RCM would make something like this! I heard their G3K bbls were awesome.

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
first define super accurate.

If you are looking for .25 MOA you are barking up the wrong tree. Lets figure out what the goals are, and then go from there.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Msg90 bbl will not work. Either run a factory 22in bbl or see if one of the mfg will run an one off. That being said you will prob have more than a true HK factory bbl into it

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Depending on how many rounds you have down this tube, if it has been a sear host, amount of copper build up etc. would either get a new barrel (can always use two for shooting on full) or clean up this one very well and remove the copper (I always had to alternate between Kroil and the copper solvent of your choice, to remove the alternating layers of carbon and copper). Then check the average with dozens of 3 and 5 rounds groups, using different loads with match bullets and loading as long as possible (I am assuming you wish mag fed vs single fed or would get a bolt gun ;-). Might also wish to get a box or two of Federal Gold Metal Match ammo for a control and test.

Typically one has to work with the sand bags on two part stock rifles to get the best accuracy (bipod off the bench tends to be less accurate). Take Care and looking forward to your results.

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,807 Posts
What is wrong with a German factory made HK11E or HK21E barrel? After break in these will regularly print groups under 1MOA or better with match ammo.

G3Kurz

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
What is wrong with a German factory made HK11E or HK21E barrel? After break in these will regularly print groups under 1MOA or better with match ammo.

G3Kurz
Any recommendations on match ammo appreciated. Years ago when running one of the stock HK91s with a PSG1 trigger system, MSG90 stock and scope, did not noticed any improvement over the Federal Gold Metal Match (168gr HP) and Federal American Eagle (150gr FMJ not NATO crossed back then), both shot a nice just under 1.5 MOA at a hundred yards with the Fed GMM maybe doing worst (have to check notes) ... about what I expected from a rifle but enough better that the SA M1As and AR10 went away (besides the HK91 worked if I cleaned it every few cases of ammo ... the others did not).

Since that time have had a few more HK91s wonder in, so it's time for some more accuracy testing (the looser becomes the sear host ;-) and besides USGI and British M80, the Fed AE and GMM was wondering what to try and/or load.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
IMI Match
Norma 308 147gr ball

The first runs very very well and stacks them up. The Norma ammo is hard to find these days but in the 21/21Es has shot very well to G3Kurz comments.

Watch Wiedners for the IMI match

·
Registered
893 Posts
One important question: Is this a true E with E parts, or is this an "11E" that uses an original style 21 barrel?

If the later, one of the 22" E barrels won't drop right in due to the extractor differences and the different method of preventing rotating the barrel out without locking it back. Don't know if there are any other functional differences.
If it is a real E setup, Michael's Machine's 21E barrel is an option too, don't know what lengths he is doing though.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll post a pic in a bit, my 11E is set up like a DMR+ with glass, and thought it would be fun to have something that could really shoot.
I guess I'll put some FGMM through it and see what it can do. The current barrel is the new FMP that it came with when it
was built by MM, a 17.7" iirc. Under MOA at 100 would tickle me just fine, I'll leave anything tighter to my bolt gun.

And JT I concur with your findings on the bags vs. the bipod, though it looks cooler having it on the farthest position does affect accuracy,
the closest not so much , but it sits WAY high, ordering a tripod rest and a rear bag.

·
Registered
893 Posts
...current barrel is the new FMP ...
Its an original style 21 if its FMP. AFAIK (and I may be wrong) there never were longer barrels made in this configuration by FMP, at least not that I've ever seen.

You might be able to change the bolt head out to a real 11E style with the different extractor, change the cocking tube support, and change the barrel to an E style, but don't know for sure.
Seams like a lot to do just to get a different barrel.
I believe Mike Otte is making (or is going to be making) 11E parts, maybe give him a call and see if the swap out is even possible.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If built on a fmp or original slide in 21 style shroud a 22 in will most likely not go into given the length and angles An export E 17.7!barrel will fit into a 21 trunion but the barrel safety pin will no be present

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I'll post a pic in a bit, my 11E is set up like a DMR+ with glass, and thought it would be fun to have something that could really shoot.
I guess I'll put some FGMM through it and see what it can do. The current barrel is the new FMP that it came with when it
was built by MM, a 17.7" iirc. Under MOA at 100 would tickle me just fine, I'll leave anything tighter to my bolt gun.

And JT I concur with your findings on the bags vs. the bipod, though it looks cooler having it on the farthest position does affect accuracy,
the closest not so much , but it sits WAY high, ordering a tripod rest and a rear bag.
Been thinking of a 11E kit for the MM23eK to replace one or two of the HK91s, so will be watching your test results and Mike's offerings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts