HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever shot lead ball with a suppressed HK USP45 tactical? Other than more frequent cleaning of the suppressed HK USP45 Tactical I can’t see why not.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
It would be better if you had a suppressor your could completely disassemble. You'll get a lot of lead fouling in the baffles which will decrease effectiveness.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The new AAC Ti-RANT cans are user serviceable. I'd recommend that one. I went with a SilencerCo Osprey but I've shot a friend's Ti-RANT on my USP compact tactical and it was very quiet, well-balanced and lightweight.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I wouldnt run it, doesnt the manual specifically say no lead ball? Due to leading the barrel, let alone the problems with the can

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I shoot 200 rounds a day on the weeked and no lead in the barrel. I do have to clean out the bullet lube but its not bad.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
With how cheap wwb or federal fmj's are, i'll just stick to those. Leave the ball for a 1911

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Where would you even shoot lead? Private land? Even the outdoor ranges around here require it be a jacketed bullet for pistol-caliber rounds.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well there not near as cheap as reloading. 1000 primers are 40.00 or .04 cents each one pound of powder is 40.00 and has 7000gr in it at a cost of .0057 cents per grain or in 4.6gr load it is .026 cents per round. Brass is plentiful at the range and for now my dad has three 55 gallon drums of lead. So my cost per round is maybe .0 8 cents with bullet lube added in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think there is a possibility of getting lead in the grooves of the polygonal barrel. Don't know how bad that can be. Right now I'm shooting TMJ in my reloads, but just bought 1000 9mm and 45 plated bullets to try out (cheaper than TMJ, and better on the barrel than lead). I know it will bring the cost per round way up for you, but I would rather spend a little more on the bullets than have to replace barrels and suppressors.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use a carnauba wax base bullet lube and it does not lead up in any gun I have used it in or in my dad’s guns. If lead ruins a gun barrel than it was a piece of junk to begin with now I would never shoot a copper jacked bullet after shooting lead until I made sure that it is clean

·
Registered
95 Posts
Through normal rifled barrel lead bullets are fine, but if your USP has polygonal rifling, then you may want to be cautious. I've heard the pressures may get too high from the soft lead and you may get a Ka-Boom. Just letting you know what I've heard. You may be fine with it, but I'm not going to risk it with mine.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Through normal rifled barrel lead bullets are fine, but if your USP has polygonal rifling, then you may want to be cautious. I've heard the pressures may get too high from the soft lead and you may get a Ka-Boom. Just letting you know what I've heard. You may be fine with it, but I'm not going to risk it with mine.
my thoughts exactly. If you want to play with fire go right ahead. It says in every hk manual I have not to shoot lead. I think hk knows a little bit more about their product than we do. If you have to shoot so much that the cost of shooting is that big of an issue then go to 9mm or something.

And lead doesnt ruin the barrel, it just gunks it up. I gaurantee that if you shot 500 lead ball in a row from a clean barrel, that the inner diameter of the bore would change. Might not be able to see it by eye, but stick some sort of caliper in there and i'm sure it is different. And the lead ball was specifically designed for standard rifiling.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldnt run it, doesnt the manual specifically say no lead ball? Due to leading the barrel, let alone the problems with the can
And where in the USP manual does it say this? You can't shoot lead with p7s because it clogs the gas port. I have been shooting lead ball for over 20 years and have never had any problems. I have put 400 to 600rds of lead ball threw 3 USPs every weekend for over 5 years and one thing I have found is they are better at not leading.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The new AAC Ti-RANT cans are user serviceable. I'd recommend that one. I went with a SilencerCo Osprey but I've shot a friend's Ti-RANT on my USP compact tactical and it was very quiet, well-balanced and lightweight.
Thank you I think that’s the one I am going to get but I am going to talk to them first but I think it will get too much bullet lube residue in it so if I can’t shoot lead ball in it it’s not a deal breaker I’ll just load some FMJ too shoot it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts