HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a suppressor for my VP9 and have just ordered a threaded barrel from HK

I do not want to change out my Trijicon sights for suppressor sights. Any recomendation on the right can?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Only a few cans that will sit below the sight line. SilencerCo Osprey is one nice can! lol
I also use the new Omega9k. It covers the sights a little, but for its size, cant loose!

·
Banned
151 Posts
The Osprey has a design that allows it to be used with non-suppressor sights. On the other hand, and I don't know much about the Osprey, but if it does not allow you to swap out connectors to allow you to use it with a variety of calibers, you might want to consider another options. I just bought a Gemtech 45 for my MK23, but for $130 I can buy attachments to use it with 9mm.

Oh, and one more thing, unless you are using subsonic 9mm ammo, you will be disappointed at the suppression you get with a 9mm suppressor. Just FYI.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was just looking at the Osprey and that looks like the way to go. I like the ability to use the Trijicon sights.
I was thinking of just getting the Osprey 45 because then I would have additional caliber options down the road and it's quieter.

Any advantage of going with the Osprey 9 instead? How would the accuracy be with the 9 versus the 45?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The SiCo Osprey is a great suppressor, i own one in 45 and 9mm, they have interchangeable pistons so you can use it on different thread pitches, they sell pistons for just about every common pitch out there. if you're only buying one can, I'd say get a .45 so you can step it down to .40 cal and 9mm, its only an inch or so longer than the 9mm model. I have an Octane as well, and even though it sits a bit taller over the sights, i usually don't have a problem just siting through the blank spot the can creates ( at least for the range and accuracy i'm shooting for).

I guess it all depends on your intended use of hosts, budget, if you want a 1 and done pistol can, the sight clearance issue...
I'm seeing great things on the dead air armament Ghost M i believe its called ( their pistol can) if i had to start from scratch for the collection again tomorrow, I'd be buying that one as my first pistol can.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
All I can say is that SilencerCo has the BEST customer service, hands down!

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with SilencerCo products, I personally still don't have experience with any of their stuff but I have a Osprey .45k and an omega 9k on wait.. should get them within the next 3 months. With that being said the Osprey is supposed to eliminate the need for suppressor high sights although I've seen the sights don't clear it completely but more than your ordinary cylindrical suppressor, also keep in mind the maintenance you can do on an Osprey is very minimal. If that is something your interested in, look at the AAC (Advanced Armament Corp.) Illusion 9, it is classic cylindrical design but it clears the sights cause its based off the same principles as the Osprey (eccentric design) or "offset baffles" it's not multi cal like say the Osprey 45 but it will clear the sights because of its design as well as having the capability to field strip/disassemble for proper maintenance. Which isn't farfetched to consider when looking for a pistol caliber suppressor. Pistol calibers leave more lead behind than rifle calibers. (Buddy of mine bought one of these, the illusion 9) Goodluck with your decision.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with SilencerCo products, I personally still don't have experience with any of their stuff but I have a Osprey .45k and an omega 9k on wait.. should get them within the next 3 months. With that being said the Osprey is supposed to eliminate the need for suppressor high sights although I've seen the sights don't clear it completely but more than your ordinary cylindrical suppressor, also keep in mind the maintenance you can do on an Osprey is very minimal. If that is something your interested in, look at the AAC (Advanced Armament Corp.) Illusion 9, it is classic cylindrical design but it clears the sights cause its based off the same principles as the Osprey (eccentric design) or "offset baffles" it's not multi cal like say the Osprey 45 but it will clear the sights because of its design as well as having the capability to field strip/disassemble for proper maintenance. Which isn't farfetched to consider when looking for a pistol caliber suppressor. Pistol calibers leave more lead behind than rifle calibers. (Buddy of mine bought one of these, the illusion 9) Goodluck with your decision.
I checked it out. That looks great. That's my favorite so far.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Personally, I would value multi-caliber and cleaning capabilities far above eccentric design for standard sight clearance. It's actually not terribly hard to shoot with a suppressor obstructing the sight line. I had the chance to shoot the VP9 tactical suppressed (who from HK day remembers what can they had on it?) and it only took a couple rounds to get used to. If you already shoot both eyes open you probably won't have any problem. If you don't, I don't think it's that hard to train yourself to. I had a hell of a time with it at first because my eyes are pretty close to co-dominant, but with a little work I almost never close one eye any more. Took at most a month, 5-6 range trips and aiming at the TV at home to get it.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
The Osprey45 is good to go if you're leaning that way. Lots of volume for nice low pitch suppression sound. I've shot the 45 and 9mm versions side by side with 9mm and there was no difference in tone at the shooters ear (subjective, I know). The 9mm Osprey is smaller. The obstruction to your sights with a regular round can is not too big of a deal -you get used to it. I feel like once you start stamp collecting you'll want to get another anyway so I'd say get a nice 45 can that meets your needs right now for all common calibers and then start specializing later. If it matters I recommend Octane45 and Osprey45. If I only used it for pistols I would go Osprey. Get a round 45 can if you think you might ever mount it to a .300BO or carbine like the MP5 or UMP.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use a rugged obsidain on my vp9. I bought the silencer knowing I would use it on multiple hosts and the silencerco pistons are ok for use in the can. CS is up there with silencerco, a no questions asked warranty.
My DeadAir ghost is thick/bulky but I like the wipe feature it offers for the "k" configuration.
My only gripe about my osprey is the FRP. It is very noticeable but the looks of the silencer hands down go to the osprey.

If you want a dedicated 9mm silencer either options are good choices. If you have a LGS that has them in stock ask if you could mount it on your vp9 to see if you like it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Check out the AAC illusion 9 if you don't want to change sights. The Osprey is good, but you still end up shooting through the can. Or just get suppressor sights and call it good :) I have a bunch of cans, and most of the time, I shoot the Illusion 9 with normal sights.

·
Registered
57 Posts
All I can say is that SilencerCo has the BEST customer service, hands down!
I can second this!!!! They replaced a stripped muzzle brake, MAAD mount unit, and front end cap on my SAKER 762, all due to my own fault ( wasn't completely ratcheted down by my brother when he was shoting my Scar 17 after a mag it blew off the end and had an end cap strike) No questions asked except if i could see any internal baffle damage ( thankfully not) or i think they would have even covered part of that repair from what i hear.

But any of the big name manufacturers ( SiCo, Dead Air, Rugged ) have great products out with evolving options for multi platform use even.

Why i said i like the feature of the new Dead air Ghost, its everything the Rugged 45 can is, but has the added wipe feature ( which each of the owners from dead air and rugged used to work at/for SiCo before they started their own thing a few years ago) so you see the design and features very similar in them all.
It's like they just keep making slight 1 ups over each other where they can. I heard the piston design is the same in SiCO's cans that Rugged pretty much copied, and NFAREVIEW Channel on full 30 even said its the same/ interchangeable in the dead air ghost.

So if you like the added features of the Rugged or DA Ghost being able to be swithed into K ( short) configurations, can be cleaned, repaired easier just another added bonus... I think it'd be easier to shoot "through the round can site picture" than to opt just for the Osprey Or AAC illusion just because of the lower amount of site obstruction.

Then again I have both styles, and the Osprey does look Bad A** on the Mark 23 and other host's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts