HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Almost dead set that in two weeks I'm going to finally get my suppressor paperwork started as I really want one for my MP5 and other multiple 9mm's including my (GASP!!) Glock and my Colt AR. I've got two options as I'm not going to order one. My lgs has two in stock. I have a 3 lug to 1/2x28 adaptor for the '5 so I'll only need a 1/2x28 suppressor although I wouldn't mind getting a 3 lug adaptor for the suppressor itself. My options are either a YHM cobra M2 or a Gemtech Tundra. I'm leaning toward the YHM as it can be disassembled whereas the tundra can't be. This being your only two options, which would you choose? Anyone who has used one of these specifically on an MP5, please tell me what you think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Suppressors are lifetime investments. Why do you not want to order the best for your needs? I am a fan of the SilencerCo Osprey and the AAC Tirants. I also have a Liberty Infiniti, but have not shot it that much yet. Don't know what other guns you have, but the 45 caliber Osprey and the Tirant will work very well on your 9mm with a different piston. That would give you more versatility.I have a YHM Mite and a YHM Phantom. Both work well, but the offerings from AAC and Silencerco are much quieter. Be wary of the dealers trying to sell what they have in stock...jmho.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done extensive dealings with this dealer and he's not just trying to push his wares (though I'm sure it's a nice bonus). I can always get another suppressor down the road. I'm not a terribly patient person which makes waiting for these stamps to clear a real pain. The YHM, while a little heavy, seems to be really heavy duty which I like. I don't have a sear but I do get to borrow one from folks occasionally so having a suppressor that can handle full auto is nice.

·
Registered
731 Posts
It doesnt help with the two you are thinking about, but I am also a fan of the AAC TiRant. I got one in 9mm and like it so much I started paperwork on a .45 one. My recommendation would be the TiRant in .45, to give you the flexibility to use it on all 3 calibers.

If you will be in the Charleston area over a weekend, let me know and we can try to meet up and you can try mine.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hoping to get down to chucktown soon DP. We'll have to meet up.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I have a YHM Cobra M2 in 9mm. I don't like it, but given what I paid for it- I dont mind having it around. YHM does not make a 3-lug for that can ANYMORE- you MIGHT be able to find an old one that someone is selling. I am told the Gemtech multi-mount 3-lug adapter fits the YHM can, but naturally, both manufactures say 'We don't support/reccomend this'. I bought a SWR Octane 9 to fulfill my 9mm 3-lug needs. It too is user serviceable. It is what I reccomend. Other memebers on the boards have given it good reviews also.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
It doesnt help with the two you are thinking about, but I am also a fan of the AAC TiRant. I got one in 9mm and like it so much I started paperwork on a .45 one. My recommendation would be the TiRant in .45, to give you the flexibility to use it on all 3 calibers.

If you will be in the Charleston area over a weekend, let me know and we can try to meet up and you can try mine.
4 calibers, I've been using it on my bolt action .22 and love it. You can't go wrong with the Tirant 45.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a SWR Octane 9 and a YHM M2 cobra 45.

The YHM I run on all my 9 and 10mm glocks, MP5/10 and USC/UMP without any issue. Just make sure you take it apart every few hundred rounds or it will get stuck....ask me how I know. Oh yea, the Gemtech multimount 3-lug will work.

The SWR I've only had for a couple months now, but I really like it. Quieter than the YHM, but since it's 9mm it won't work on everything I own.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Buyer beware... a good suppressor does not meet to be taken apart, or so I am told. I have an aluminum TPM Outfitters can on my MP5SD. It can be taken apart and cleaned. Recently made the mistake of letting someone put it in a sonic cleaner and it ruined the finish. Thankfully the maker was able to take it apart and refinish it for me. Just don't let that be your deal breaker. I've taken the cap off of mine once in the year I've owned it. I didn't do anything to it except put it back together without cleaning it. It's almost like taking the heads off of a motor to clean the valves... Sure you CAN (pun) do it, but it's not necessary unless your changing valves or something.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Well, the new AAC Ti-RANT's are now user serviceable, too. But I think that's more AAC caving into customer demand thinking it necessary when really it's not.

·
Registered
265 Posts
SWR trident 9 here, I run it on my mp5 navy with a three lug adapter, then swap adapters and run it on my hk tactical sd 9mm. Has not giving me any problems to date.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I disagree with the notion that a 9mm can doesn't ever need to be cleaned. In my experience with the Octane in both the older HD and newer HD2 trim, the can gets very dirty in short order. The 9mm just doesn't have the pressure & velocities to be self-purging in the same sense as a rifle caliber can. Because you will be married to the suppressor, it makes sense to buy one that you can maintain throughout the service life. If you can take it down and maintain it, you can also use it for rimfire applications without fear of leading up the can.

I would recommend the Octane HD2, the TiRant and the Osprey. Be advised that the only one with a direct 3-Lug mount at the present time is the Octane. You should buy the very best you can afford b/c the secondhand market for suppressors sucks big time. I would not recommend a Gemtech Multimount because lately it seems a good number of the tubes are failing. Buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I've decided on the YHM can. I called Gemtech as I couldn't tell if the Tundra was full auto rated. They said its not. Like I said, I don't have a sear but I do on occasion get to borrow someone else's. So I'd prefer to have a can that can take the beating when I do get to shoot full auto. I can always buy another suppressor later on down the road. I'm a very impatient person. I figure I can get this one now and on down the road get an Osprey or one of the other cans mentioned. Thanks guys for your opinions.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
One size fit all silencer is hard to do. I would get a MK9K for subgun needs, and something like a Octane or Tirant for handguns.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
One size fit all silencer is hard to do. I would get a MK9K for subgun needs, and something like a Octane or Tirant for handguns.
Liberty Mystic. Liberty Suppressors Mystic 9mm Multipurpose Suppressor Google it and read the reviews. This can is absolutely kick ass. Full-auto rated in 9mm calibers and below. Can do anything from 22LR all the way up to 300 BLK. And you can disassemble it and clean it in ultrasonic cleaners. Stainless Steel and Titanium.

Caliber(s):
- 22 Hornet
- 22 K Hornet
- 218 Bee
- 223 REM - 16" BBL
- 30 PPC - Subsonic
- 30 Carbine
- 32-20
- 357 MAG
- 221 Fireball
- 32 S&W Long
- 32 H&R Magnum
- 9X18
- 9X19 (Base Caliber)
- 38 Super
- 38 Special
- 38 S&W
- 357 Max - Subsonic
- 338 Spectre
- 300 BLK
- 300 Whisper
- 300/221
- 308 Win- Subsonic
- all rimfire cartridges
- 5.45x39MM Russian
- We now rate it for the 300 BLK in both supersonic and subsonic on an 8" barrel

Weight: 12.1 oz (module only) and 16 oz (with booster)
Length: 8"
Diameter: 1.375"
Sound Reduction: 38dB (This is with Fiocchi 158 gr 9mm which was showing 162dB unsuppressed)
Mount: Multiple styles
Materials: Titanium and Stainless Steel
MFR Website: Liberty Suppressors Mystic 9mm Multipurpose Suppressor
Colors Available: Matte Black, OD Green, or Brushed Natural (silver)

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I'm not a terribly patient person which makes waiting for these stamps to clear a real pain.
No offense, but this made me laugh out loud. You will wait no less than 5-months and 2-weeks from the day that your application goes into "Pending" status, which is typically 2 weeks after the BATFE has cashed your $200 application tax/payment, which is typically 1-5 days after they have received your paperwork, which is 3-5 days after you have mailed it. All together you're looking at a solid six months... and I speak from (multiple)experience.

Choose wisely, pay your money, fill out and mail your forms, and forget about it. You'll have your suppressor by February 2013.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm aware of the wait times for a stamp. But buying a suppressor from someone else and then having to get it transferred from another dealer to my dealer is just gonna add more time to it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've shot them all, and I would go with anything that has a titanium, it's more of a heat thing than anything else and titanium does the best with it. Cheaper ones can get hot and cause issues. They all are about the same as far as suppression IMO

1 - 20 of 41 Posts