HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I hope the Forum Gods are happy with this question.
I have an HK Rifle and was wondering if any folks have any recomendations as to what ammo I should avoid purchasing or shooting in my HK.

Thanks.

·
Banned
384 Posts
Still seems general, but since I typed a friggin book on your last response...

I would avoid anything that is not 7.62x51.

I mean it. Shoot whatever you want, because you know what? I shot it all in both of mine, from Hornady TAP to Federal Gold Metal Match to Indian .308, the stuff everyone warns against.

Some say dont shoot corrosive, but you know what? Its probably already been done at some point with a 30 yr old rifle, and as long as it was cleaned soon, and well, after the fact, what difference does it make?

Some of the most expensive arms in the world have been/are fired with corrosive ammo...its just the facts.

Biggest thing, shoot it.

hkx3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you HKX3 for taking the time to help educate me, I am sorry that I did not get a chance to read the book you typed as my post thread was yanked due to improper question structure, I would have loved to have read your thoughts and experience.

Best Regards

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use to shoot corrosive ammo all the time. The trick is to clean your rifle after you shoot it. ( same day is best )It's that simple.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This is just me but I would stay away from the Indian 308, the ones wrapped in the clear plastic wrapers.

There is been a bunch of negitive feedback from this ammo.

Call me skeptible.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The indian ammo in plastic and in the belts on clips suck. old underpowered crap stay away. it is a festering terd of a round

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is actually a good topic question. How do you guys feel about military surplus ammo of recent production? I've been putting them exclusively thru my 91 & she loves them. Any thoughts on military surplus ammo?

·
Banned
384 Posts
The indian .308 I fired was in 10 rnd packs, clear plastic, very clean, very clean shooting, and 100% consistent in load power. I hand shook every round before stuffing it in a magazine to assure no double loading. (I know not very scientific...but you know if the powder is sloshing around its not a compressed load...my reasoning.)

I guess Im dumb for using it, but Im not the only one to use the stuff w.no ill effects.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks HKX3
The shaking of the cartridge before installing them in a magazine is a great Idea, I will have to incorporate that procedure. I have allways dreded a double load and a light load for that matter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any thoughts on military surplus ammo?
Well, considering that it's a battle rifle, I'm sure a '91 would be just happy shooting mil surplus. :)

Avoid ammo made in 3rd world countries and you should be ok. Just be warned... there is no longer any such thing as reasonably priced 7.62x51. Basic supply and demand economics have driven up the cost to crazy levels.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Several people have reported problems shooting steel-cased ammo in their fluted-chamber HKs.

Beyond that, the HK guns should eat up darn near anything you run through it. Some of the surplus stuff is rather dirty and eventually will gum up the action. Make sure to buy a good chamber brush from somebody like E&L Manufacturing to properly clean the flutes and roller recess areas. I like their all-inclusive #591 kit for $29.95.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stamp

What is the Stamp on the Indian stuff?

I recently got some loose (no telltale plastic wrappers), and I can't remember if it is Indian or Venezuelan.

The Headstamp is OFV 98 7.62 M80

Thanks for any replies...

Happy New Year.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,955 Posts
And seeing how this thread is turning into just a basic back and forth over surplus ammo, it's being closed.

This is a big reason why ammo discussions (and caliber battles) don't get too much run around here. Little useful information regarding HK and even that drifts way off topic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.