HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an excellent condition surplus P9s last week and finally took it to the range yesterday. The interesting design and different mode of operation appeal to me. After all, it was designed during the golden age of HK.

I bought a box of 115 Gr Remington and had loose misc HP that I needed to burn up.
Here's my impressions aver about 100 rounds offhand at 25':

- The SA trigger took a few shots to get used to. It breaks so clean and light that I was surprised a few times when the shot went off.
- Function was 100% with both FMJ and HP. The HP's wanted to hang on the when chambering the 1st round if the slide isn't really pulled back all the way and let go.
- Initial accuracy for me in the beginning was only "slightly above average (2")". As I shot it more, the groups started to settle in to "excellent" (<1"). P7M8 in comparison for me is "hole in hole" accurate.
- The combat sights and grip comfort are great for me.
- Recoil was sharper than I expected.
- The SA overtravel and trigger reset, while not great, doesn't annoy me like my W. German Sig-Sauer P226.
- I tried a few DA draws and while the trigger is heavy, I hit the target dead center.
- I tested the gun's decock function while pointed down range with live ammo. This resulted in no holes in the paper.
- Cleanup was fast and easy due to the polygonal bore and smoothly polished internals
- Compared to the P7M8 [so far], it's not as as accurate and has slightly heavier recoil. It doesn't heat up so it's better at the range.

Overall I like it even though it has a different mode of operation. For my use, I'll just load it and then decock like any other TDA. My dad is a retired LEO and his impression is that's it's a bit too complex and hard to operate. As for me I like it and I'm going to investigate this interesting pistol further.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did want to acknowledge your report as it was done about the same time, involved the same HK P9s model, and I posted the results above which were almost identical to what you came across. It is by far the nicest, most intriguing, smoothest, sexiest pistol I ever owned or shot. Love it, glad you had similar experiences!

·
Registered
12 Posts
P9S is an excellent pistol, especially at current prices. HK should make a P9C that is about the same size as a S&W Shield.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts