HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HK USP .40S&W fullsize. I have run two ten round magazines, and one 13 round magazine.

What do I need to look for to know if my magazine springs are weak? I would like to replace them before any malfunctions begin to develop. Also, what would happen if the springs would get weak? Failure to Feeds? Slide not locking back?
Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of springs do you reccomend. I am on the Wolff site right now http://www.gunsprings.com/1ndex.html and I don't understand which springs I need to order.

I want to replace the springs in two 10 round .40 S&W magazines (Fullsize), as well as a spring in a 13 round .40 S&W magazine (Fullsize)

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
There is a sticky by orfeo at the top of the handgun talk forum that will tell you which Wolff springs you will need. They are some of the best in the business they will be very stiff at first if you get the +10s. But they are what I use and I don't have any problems.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked out the post at the top of the page. It does not list item numbers, just basically says to order the 10lbs springs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I ordered wolff's for my USP 45, there was nothing wrong, I like you was just trying to fix something that wasn't broke. The normally only offer +10% springs, which by their definition are longer. I sent mine back to Brownell's because I had a hard time loading the 10th round in, and the mag became hard to seat. The most common sign of failure would be failing to lock the slide open on the last round. Another tell-tale sign would be when you strip out the rounds and the spring stays compressed and the rounds fall loosely from the magazine. I have seen both of these myself and the red flag goes up right away. Wolff makes great replacement springs, they're my go-to source. Hope to help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
the symptoms are
1. when loading mags, the ammo will fail to align properly leaving an empty space in the stack where a round should be. edited to add, with very weak springs one round can actually slip past another in the mag making for a + shaped stoppage in the mag. I have seen this the + shaped jam with 9mm, but a .40 round may be to wide for it to occur (improper stacking can occur with the .40)

2. Stove piping of live rounds, usually sticking straight up trapped between the slide and barrel. If you are shooting VERY hot ammo a live round can actually pop out without stove piping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts