HKPRO Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Does anyone on this forum know for sure if the T36 receivers have these safety plugs as found on German G36 receivers?
Most likely, I don’t have one to inspect though. I don’t think it would have helped the OP anyways though, I don’t believe it was an issue with the ammo.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
According to an interview with Tom @ www.arbuildjunkie.com, the safety plugs are there.

Tom Bostic of Tommy Built Tactical

“Everything on it is streamlined”

You start looking at the ergonomics of it and everything on it is ambidextrous. Everything on it is streamlined. The weight is really low. The maintenance is really low. With the inside being polymer, you really don’t need a lot of oil in it. H&K did a lot of things in it, that when you really start understanding the back end of the design they are very neat.

There’s special water channels in there, there’s special serrations on the end of the barrel that go into the trunnion so that water can get out. It can be shot with water in the receiver without issues. If there is a catastrophic failure, there are blow plugs that pop out of the actual trunnion. There’s things like that which a normal person would not know unless they actually started manufacturing or unless they’ve done some serious research (laughs).

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/tommy-built-tactical-the-resurrection-of-the-hk-g36/

I didn't go pull my T36 out of the safe, that was just with some google-fu.

I'll have to go look and see.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No, the G36 and SL8 does have two plugs, you can see them, they are designed that way so the plugs and pressure come out, minimizing risk to the operator in the event of over-pressure due to a hot round or whatever. I'm assuming Tom's receiver also uses them.
if they are in the hole in front of the magazine well then i know what you mean. My G36 receiver has something there. My 1998 SL8 does not seem to have them. Anyways Im sure Tom is using them aswell.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know much about the G36... is it technically possible to fire out of battery? I thought the same thing when kaboomed my Noveske until I realized it's not possible for an AR to fire out of battery based on the bolt design/action.
I agree they are rare but most often an over pressure will blow the extractor off the bolt and damage the bolt and chamber this looks different.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wow! My coworkers are gathering around the screen with horrified, jaw-dropping looks on their faces. Do keep us updated with the repair/replace situation.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, from what I'm seeing , this has OOB written all over it; especially noting the lack of damage to the can or muzzle device. If it was a squib, you'd almost definitely see some form of a baffle strike. Even though most suppressor are more than slightly overbored, you'd still likely see some evidence of a tumble or overexpansion. Miracles can and do happen, so done get me wrong, but this most likely isn't one of them... Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bet that scared the hell out of you. I managed to fire a 300BO in a 5.56 Noveske... KABOOM. Made a great keychain though:

Holy Cow!!! Is that the freaking bullet in front of the casing??? 30 cal to .224. Hahaha.

OP. I’m happy you’re physically OK that looks pretty wild. I’m not an expert but I think it’s out of battery discharge. I just can’t fathom how it could be a squib with no other damage. Unless, the round was stuck right in the throat and when it chambered a new round it was pushed up against the Squibb round and somehow you shot both of them out the barrel cleanly. Sounds pretty crazy though. I really need a T 36 though those things are beautiful

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, but what makes you think that a squibb round caused this, did you notice a round not sounding normal before this happened? This looks, to me anyway, to be an out of battery firing from what I'm hearing and seeing.
Looks like an out of battery detonation to me also... In my experience squibs are pretty hard to miss unless it's under stress defending your life/in war ext and squibs often leave a bulge in the barrel or sometimes the bullet is still in there after.... I'm no experts on this particular weapon though so i could be mistaken.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Holy Cow!!! Is that the freaking bullet in front of the casing??? 30 cal to .224. Hahaha.
Yup. 300BO round in the bottom of the magazine. I was smart enough to check if these would even chamber in a 223 barrel which they wouldn't. In my lucky case, I guess the added energy of the bolt rebounding was enough to cram it in there and go into battery. KABOOM! Barrel was fine, I just had to replace the BCG and upper.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

·
Registered
2,854 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Easy go to the next HK G36 Armorer's class if its ever offered to non leo/mil :biggrin:
Would love to if it was ever offered to us lowly civvies ;-)

HKParts has them, but I prefer PDFs for long term storage

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Was the bolt carrier in this T36 a tungsten filled one or not? You can tell by the back of the bolt carrier if it has a small round welded in plug, a picture of the rear of the bolt carrier will easily tell.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Was the bolt carrier in this T36 a tungsten filled one or not? You can tell by the back of the bolt carrier if it has a small round welded in plug, a picture of the rear of the bolt carrier will easily tell.
I'm guessing this means not tungsten filled

20200912_184709125_iOS.jpg 20200912_184728072_iOS.jpg

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I can't wait for Tommy to get situated in his new place. I need to get this thing sent off and fixed! I miss it already! My T36C and USC/UMP conversion are two of my most favorite firearms.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Would love to if it was ever offered to us lowly civvies ;-)

HKParts has them, but I prefer PDFs for long term storage
I bought mine online from somewhere years ago, one of the earlier ones. It's a good read, and I've actually used it once or twice.

Another way to tell, is with it removed from the weapon, give it a good shake or two. You can hear the tungsten similar to how you would hear sand in a maraca. Heck, with two tungsten filled carriers and with the spring noise they make with the forward assist/charging handle, someone could make a sweet G36 song! Haha

41 - 60 of 77 Posts