HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disclaimer: I've tried to follow the rules of the range as well as keep it fun. If you want the clinical details skip to the bottom.

The addition of a new pistol to any personal “arsenal” is a euphoric experience. I bought it to the resounding jeers of all the typical .45 guys (of which I am one). “Ya’ll know ya cain’t sailence them, raight?” I love southern guys. I am one. I informed my friend in SC (who introduced me to HK’s) that I was moving to NY. He looked at me with that look psychiatrists must give their patients just before they sign the papers. I assured him this is what lunatic people do when the job says, “Go here.” But I digress; I bought the Tac40 not for adding a silencer to it but rather for having a target-shooting toy. I have determined that I will add a CCF Flash suppressor, a scope mount with a 50mm Red Dot scope, and a M6(X) light/laser combo just for looks. This gun will be the ultimate bull’s eye shooting machine (or so we tell ourselves). And if nothing else draw awe inspiring looks from other men at the gun range who can only dream of spending the wad of cash on a toy like this.
I followed all the standard rules of breaking in a new gun:
First, field strip the gun. Remove all packing crap. This is highly technical terminology for I don’t what brand this is and they put way too much on it, anyway. Next, clean every surface copiously with preferred cleaners. Then stare at it and clean again because you put prints on the freshly cleaned barrel that’s hidden inside the slide but you’ll know the prints are there.
Second, stare at the gun morning, noon, and night. Dream of what this gun will feel like with bullets flying down range. It is at this point match triggers will be tuned to the slightest travel possible. I chose to forego double action and make it a single action gun. This process is highly technical and may easily consume several nights of your week. You may feel free to shoot (dry firing, or else that could become expensive) Pat and Alex for enduring another night of hearing your wife say “Please, honey I like those shows.” After you have successfully read the manual three times, disassembled twelve times and proudly displayed this gun to all your friends, you must lose the pack of o-rings, sight wrench, and Allen wrench.
Third, load all magazines, guns, ammunition, and supplies for a trip to the range. For extra fun, make sure you leave behind all ammo, camera, earplugs, and as mentioned the lost o-rings, sight wrench, and Allen wrench. That’s right when I broke in my new toy I had no earplugs. Well, fresh ones at least, more on that in a moment. When I arrived at the range, my friend and I saw a rather large white object hanging in the middle of the range. Had someone killed the Michelin man? Was this Ghostbusters come to life? No, someone had kidnapped Frosty from his home (the front lawn) in the middle of April and put him on the range. Other shooters riddled him, already; so no CPR was administered. See, if you go to an outdoor rifle range in SC, you are likely to find all sorts of neat things. Next, unpack all toys. That includes 2 HK USP45-F’s, 1HK USP40-C, 1HKTAC40, 1Mossberg 500, 1Mossberg 590, and one off brand 1911 that the companion insisted on bringing but chose to shoot the compact 40, instead. Next, unload all ammo boxes and remove two heavy steel plates. These plates provide a chance for needed ballistics experimentation. Now prepare to fire all weapons and notice that you have left all ear plugs 15 hours away, and there is no civilization for at least 20 mins in any direction, not even the Verizon man would be heard from here. Upon inspection you will notice that you have a few Q-tips that you can cut in two with your knife and put a half in each ear. Or maybe you could cram some cleaning wipes in your ear canal instead. And then you spot them. Lying on the ground all around you. In various colors from speckled brown to bright orange, you see earplugs! After searching you find two reasonably orange earplugs that must be clean since it’s rained for two days and they are completely water logged. You may wring them out wait for them to dry. One more thing make sure your companion knows you are waiting for them to dry so he does not begin firing the 12 gauge. This noise when administered next to your ear by your former friend will ring your bell (or at least make you hear them) and make you stagger down the range screaming, “Kill me!” Your friend will mouth words to you like “Sorry. You ok dude? You hear me?” It’s at this point you feel like you have become a cast member of Black Hawk Down. In a few moments the blood rushes back to your ears with another round of bells going off in your head and long lost earwax leaks out that has been clogged in there for years.

The sights on my Tac 40 were setup well right out of the box. I noticed it was not the center mass hold and I adjusted it accordingly. The improvement was slight but noticeable. Make sure all sight adjustments are made in slight increments or you will have a really bad day. A Swiss army knife will do in a pinch. The shots were terrific. The slide was slightly tight but after 100 rounds began to feel better. This gun’s trigger was indeed set up to my personal taste and fired quite well. The slide locked back after every emptied mag. The gun never had a FTF, FTE, or any other type of failure. My initial impression was that I wished I had a cheaper source of .40 ammo. The snappiness of .40 seemed to be tamed by the longer and larger gun than my compact. I fired all the rounds at this target from 25’ away. Farther than that and I am going to jail and I can’t see it anyway without a scope (3 yr old glasses). We did shoot some Styrofoam plates from bench wrest at 25yds and of course Frosty was in bad shape. The Styrofoam plates were not recovered. Some sick person with anger management issues shot them at close range with a shotgun.
Here you will see a pattern of approximately 30 rounds fired at this target. It was the only target that wasn’t utterly destroyed by the arsenal. Also, don’t forget to take double the amount of ammo you think you will use. I went through 200 rounds in a flash between my compact and tactical. I think I will be adding an Expert in 9mm to this collection. The one draw back is no threaded barrel but I’m sure I can come up with other ways to accessorize it.
The mentioned metal plates actually stopped all the FMJ’s at distances of 25’ and greater. I did not try closer for fear of ricochets. Those plates actually stopped a slug fired from 25 yards. All of the rounds from .40, .45, and slugs looked like small lead coins after impact. By the way Frosty had a terrible day. He was shot from 25 yards to point blank with all sorts of pistols and loads. He withstood a shell of birdshot from 8’ away with most of it not penetrating the plastic. This means that buck shot was required. He was still upright when we left, what happened when MikeVain showed up with $100,000 necklace is anyone’s guess.

Conclusions:
1. The tac40 is a nail driving machine (like 99.9% of other HK’s). I can't compare to a Match or Expert but I would think they are comparable.
2. The gun can still function properly w/o DA (some may prefer that)
3. This gun loosened up sooner than my others because I oiled, cycled the slide, and dry fired the gun before going to the range, IMO.
4. Put earplugs in all your weapon cases, or else…
5. Make sure you have a Swiss army knife
6. You can get missing parts from Marc at Ops2 (Hkpartsonline.com) excellent guy to deal with.
7. Definitely would add night sights for any concealment or self-defense applications.
8. Adding scope and other toys will make this gun fabulous!
9. Will try to find a match weight for it.

thanks to some-finn. ive been trying to figure out how to fix this for a while.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Great report, in a nice story form /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
And hopefully a lesson for everyone on remembering hearing protection /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
633 Posts
Great report and yet another reason to "Wanna be like Mike"! Gosh darn but he has great taste in toys.

Thanks for all the effort to write this up. Really enjoyed reading it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
+1 That was a great report. I got quite a few chuckles out of it. Sounds like you had a hell of a good time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Poor Frosty!

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1 on that. Needed a good pickme up this Saturday morning....a few chuckles are always good for that! Great report...keep it up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tac .40

What do you mean you cant suppress them? My Gemtech Blackside works great! By the way GREAT report.... funny, informative and very enjoyable to read.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Deja Vu???

Well here we are two years later and the story sounds eerily similar, right down to leaving my earplugs at home, .40 USP Tactical printed 1/2" left @25yds out of the box, I didn't touch the trigger yet but I will visit that. This may be heresy but I purchased a case of Black Hills Remanufactured .40 fmj flat nose 180gr. for training. My preference is to take 50 rounds to the range at a time that way I don't digress into mind numbing shooting, I try to stay focused with drills.

I am still awaiting my Gemtech Blackside approval, a bit dissapointed that Knights armory does not make a suppressor for the USP .40 Tactical and B&T will only sell to Local, State or Federal entities. These being the only suppressors that H&K says will not void your warranty.

Anyway your report was concise, humorous and short maybe you can be convinced to buy a few Tactical Rifles and report on them, But if the wifey kicks you out you are on your own!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts