HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here install a TACLATCH on their PTR91? If so, what was the procedure? Any help, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
As per the note on the Tac-Latch website, they will not work with JLD receivers. I am sending my IGF/JLD G3K clone back to IGF for installation of a genuine HK paddle mag release. Best and only option for PTR guns I guess...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize what their Site says, but several members here were able to install on their PTR's. Just wonder how they did it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
From what I can remember, the opening in the bottom of the JLD receiver needs to be opened up slightly.

OK, I got out my PTR91 and my HK93 and that's exactly what it is, the opening in the receiver doesn't go "back" quite as far on the PTR as the HK does, so you'd only have to take a Dremel and open it up very slightly. The metal here is very thin, so it would be easy. I think it's actually a weld, but it shouldn't be hard to do. AKATTACK

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you talking about that notch on the underside of the Receiver, adjacent to the Trigger Guard? All it needs is to be Lengthened a bit? It's pretty thin, and I can see there is a welded in bar in the rear of that cutout, but unlikely that I would need to go that far back opening up that hole. It does seem to me that my previous HK91 had somewhat a longer cutout, but it's been years.

I don't know. I owned an SW5 that had the factory paddle, and I was less than thrilled with it. My concern was and still is, should the Paddle ever get damaged in some way or another, it sure would take some effort installing another one, considering the Blind Pin would need to be drilled out. That's why I was considering the Tac-Latch. Looks to me like the perfect way to go. I'm going to order one in the morning. Wish me luck!

Say, I've owned several HK's back in the early 90's to include an HK94/SP89 and a HK91. Those were later sold off, and I believe it was around 2002 that I ended up with an SW5, but the quality on that particular Carbine left much to be desired to my previous '94. I just acquired my PTR91 "K". It's a 2006 production, Serial Number close to 6K. It's FABULOUS! 16.5" Barrel, standard Stock, Navy Lower. Everything from the Fit to Finish is superb. The Tactical Handguard is a Glossy Black, and not the dull type as shown in the recent Shotgun News article. However, I just bought a G93 Wide Handguard for it, and currently looking for an HK Marked Bipod, as I have heard some of the Unmarked one's can be junk. Ie-loose Legs, Etc. Other than replacing the Handguard, I'm also going to install an Original G3 Rear Sight. The factory one is Nice, but prefer a more authentic one. Finding a Port Buffer would be nice too. All in all, this is probably one of the best buys that I have made in a long time in regards to Firearms. It's really outstanding. The Bolt/Carrier all appear new, and my particular PTR came with the FH. I'll post a range report soon. I'm sure it will perform as good as it looks!

Thanks for the info on the Tac-Latch. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
242 Posts
OK, I took a pic of the bottom my HK93 and PTR91, the HK is on the left and the PTR is on the right. As you can see, the opening on the HK extends farther back than the opening on the PTR. I think all that is needed is to open it up a bit more and the Tac Latch would work, I'm almost sure that I've seen this done before on one of the boards. Hope this helps-AKATTACK

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
I didnt know the bipods were marked, I have 3 that all work perfect(and would sware they are all HK) didnt notice any markings on any of them

and currently looking for an HK Marked Bipod, as I have heard some of the Unmarked one's can be junk. Ie-loose Legs, Etc.

Thanks for the info on the Tac-Latch. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AKATTACK,

Thanks for the PIC! You've been a big help. Looks like it's going to be a fairly simple task.

Landpimp,

Not sure if all HK Factory Bipods were/are marked, but the one's that I have seen, seemed to be better than the one's that weren't marked of unknown origin. Of course it's been a while since I have seen a Marked HK Bipod for sale, and the price on it was around $200.00 NIW.

·
Super Moderator
2,830 Posts
do you remember where and what the marking were? date code or HK or ?

Landpimp,

Not sure if all HK Factory Bipods were/are marked, but the one's that I have seen, seemed to be better than the one's that weren't marked of unknown origin. Of course it's been a while since I have seen a Marked HK Bipod for sale, and the price on it was around $200.00 NIW.

·
Registered
199 Posts
OK, I took a pic of the bottom my HK93 and PTR91, the HK is on the left and the PTR is on the right. As you can see, the opening on the HK extends farther back than the opening on the PTR. I think all that is needed is to open it up a bit more and the Tac Latch would work, I'm almost sure that I've seen this done before on one of the boards. Hope this helps-AKATTACK
I have two PTR 91 rifles. One is an 18" barrelled rifle SN A13xx I purchased from Atlantic Firearms. The second is a 16" barrelled rifle SN A25xx I purchased from an individual. The first PTR had the same recess that your picture shows on the HK93. I mounted a Tac-Latch on this one with little or no dremeling. The second rifle arrived with the Tac-Latch already in place. Inspecting this rifle showed that it originally had the smaller opening illustrated by the PTR in your picture. So there apparently was a change in the configuration of these rifles by J.L.D.

After I saw how much metal had to be dremmeled from the second rifle compared to my original PTR, I better understood some of the threads I'd read on this subject. I also had a better feel for the Tac-Latch warning that came with the unit I'd purchased for my first rifle. I truly feel there was a disconnect somewhere between the Tac-Latch company and BATFE (just my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like) over the matter of mounting a Tac-Latch on a PTR rifle.

I really like the Tac-Latch and feel it does exactly what it promised. Mag changes are a lot more natural in movement than trying to manipulate the mag release button.

M

·
0 Posts
I may have been the first person to run into a problem putting one of these on a PTR91K. My rifle has a thick metal shelf in the way of where the TacLatch would need to go. When I contacted the company about it, they had no idea what I was talking about and insisted it should work. I sent them a pic of the problem area, and apparently they then contacted JLD and updated thier website with the info thats on there now. On my rifle, its not just the sheet metal of the receiver thats a problem, I would have dremeled that out in 5 minutes. It is a very heavy metal shelf or tab that is up inside that area, that is probably about 1/4" thick and very hard to get at with any tools.
MD

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bipod- The one's that I have encountered are "HK" Marked with Date Code on the Mount. Whether or not those were later versions or early one's I'm unaware, as I've heard of Date Coded only Bipods, but haven't seen any. On another note, I may actually see one tomorrow, and if priced reasonably, will pick it up, and post PICS of the Markings. I'll fill the Markings in with a White Grease Pencil so they'll show up fairly good.

I'm not sure whether or not that SHELF that is welded into the channel will be in the way or not. On my particular PTR it's a ways away from where additional Metal is to be removed . At present, it appears to me that all it's going to take is minor removal of some material and simply installing the Latch. At least this is what I'm hoping. From the PICS that I have seen of the TACLATCH installed, it doesn't appear to extend all the way to the rear where that shelf is located. Time will tell though.

On another note, I read somehwere that someone installed a TACLATCH on their PTR by simply shortning the Mag Catch Bushing, but only slightly, and the assembly works.

·
Registered
163 Posts
On my rifle, its not just the sheet metal of the receiver thats a problem, I would have dremeled that out in 5 minutes. It is a very heavy metal shelf or tab that is up inside that area, that is probably about 1/4" thick and very hard to get at with any tools.
MD
Same here. Oh, well... Picked up an OEM paddle mag kit for cheap on Gunbroker.com. Gun is going back to IGF for an install.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Both my HK93 and my PTR91 have the thicker "tab" or shelf that you are talking about. From what I've been able to tell, they are positioned in about the same place on each rifle. I'll try to snap a pic and get it on here to better illustrate. Glad to help! AKATTACK

Edited to add photo:

The HK93 is on the right side and the PTR91 is on the left.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup, that's the tab. I don't see a problem at all in installing the Taclatch, especially now that I was able to view these PICS. The PTR's steel block might be a little thicker, but since the existing cutout must be extended, it may need to be filed slightly. In any event, it looks like a simple operation, probably about an hour or so.
For the sake of this post, and I'm sure the wondering's of others who have thought about doing the same, I intend to post PICS of before and after, and the installation of the Latch Assembly itself. Again, many thanks!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yup, that's the tab. I don't see a problem at all in installing the Taclatch, especially now that I was able to view these PICS. The PTR's steel block might be a little thicker, but since the existing cutout must be extended, it may need to be filed slightly. In any event, it looks like a simple operation, probably about an hour or so.
For the sake of this post, and I'm sure the wondering's of others who have thought about doing the same, I intend to post PICS of before and after, and the installation of the Latch Assembly itself. Again, many thanks!
You're very welcome! It may also be possible to trim the taclatch itself slightly if the "bar" inside the PTR is in the way. Then you won't have to trim the "bar" of your PTR and you can leave it alone~just a suggestion. I haven't seen the taclatch in person, but I'm going to order one for my PTR if you get yours installed without any problems. With the plastic grip frame on my PTR, it's a little more difficult to depress the mag release on the side. Good luck!! AKATTACK

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I was thinking perhaps the Taclatch itself could be modified slightly if necessary, but hard to say, as I've never seen any PICS of the components. As you pointed out, if possible, then the Block wouldn't need to be touched. I'd like to point out that in your PIC, it really appears that both setups are nearly identical, and we know that the Taclatch will work on your HK93, so right now I'm feeling really positive about this. Won't know until I try, but then again, others have installed these on their PTR's, so it is possible. Damn, do I LOVE this Rifle! The HK93 Handguard really makes the Rifle stand out! What a helpful board!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've got two brand new HK93 wide handguards, one to go on my HK93 when I have Jayson at I.G.F. refinish it someday and the other to replace the tactical handguard on the next PTR 91 that I buy which will be a 16 inch barrel version! I just got back from Jayson's shop~went and picked up my SW5 pistol that he built for me, which was perfect! Pics will be posted soon. AKATTACK

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Visited our local Show yesterday. Not a single Bipod to be found, but there were 2 PTR91K's, both NIB that had been offered by Dealer's. Neither one of them lasted for more than 2 hours. 2 85% condition HK 94 Carbines. Bores were Exc. Finish wear. Ex Police Guns. $1900.00 each. Had an opportunity to fire 280 rounds through my PTR yesterday after I arrived back. I opted to use South African 1980, as I have a bunch of it for my FAL, and I have read some complaints with this particular year (And '81, '83) in some Owner's PTR's.

Before firing, I placed a 5 Gallon Bucket approximately 80 yards down range. The Gun already had Oil within applied by the Factory, so I did not, nor felt, it was necessary to add any further. It was about 60 degrees, with Scattered Clouds. Approximate time was 4:00PM.

I opened up 2 Battle Packs, and loaded up 14 20Rd Mags. 1 of which came with the Rifle, and the other 13 that had been NIW HK Marked Alloy Mags with various Date Codes from the late 1960's to the late 1980's. Before Firing, I realized that the PTR has a few less Flute's that an HK91, and upon Firing, found the Rifle very pleasant to shoot! The reduction in Flute's, compared to my previous HK91, made it quite a controllable, and accurate Rifle, without the stout Recoil experienced in the past.

All shot's were done at 80 yards, and from the shoulder. I stopped after each 100 Round string for about 5 minutes or so, to enjoy a Smoke in between, and to allow the Rifle to cool down. NOT A SINGLE FALIURE was noted! This PTR just kept on working with absolutely ZERO FTF/FTE experienced. The Rear Sight was pretty much on, except it did shoot about 2" low, but all rounds blasted through the Bucket, to the point where it was pretty torn up, with scattered pieces all about.

What an Awesome Rifle! The Barrel obviously warmed up, but I felt no heat with the Wide G93 Handguard. I was also surprised to see, and I wasn't expecting this in the least, how good the action looked upon disassembly. I was expecting more of a mess, than what was present.

At this point, I'm thrilled with my PTR91K, pleased to hell that I bought it, and I'm going to acquire the Rear Sight Tool to make some adjustment's to the Rear Sight. Though I will be obtaining an Original G3 Rear Sight later on, so having a Tool will be a must have item anyhow.

Disassembly/Cleaning/Reassembly took about an hour or so. I have read many threads about those who have had multiple problems installing the Bolt back upon it's Carrier. Depressing the Latch with a Block of Wood had always worked in the past for me on my HK91, and is nothing more than a 30 Second assembly procedure, if that. As far as Oil, I use FP10, and have had good results with it. For the Rollers, I applied TETRA, but not too much.

All in all, I couldn't have hoped for a more perfect weekend! If anyone reading this is considering a PTR91, I wouldn't hesitate. I did a few years ago, but once I saw the "K" Model, and reading more about them in Shotgun News and elsewhere, decided to try one out. Within a few days I should be receiving my Taclatch and will be installing it the first chance I get. As far as another PTR? SOON!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Lionhart, anything to update? Did you get the Taclatch installed? Hope it worked! If so, I'm gonna get one for my PTR. Thanks! AKATTACK

1 - 20 of 35 Posts